Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Are we not allowed to talk about when TWOW might be released on here? I actually tried looking that up, but wasn't able to find anything. 

Threads talking about TWoW's release date tend to get locked/deleted.

50 minutes ago, edd tollett:( said:

I know we're not suppose to talk about the high priced fan fic, but what else is taboo? If you can allude to it with out getting in trouble, thx

Threads talking about D&D's adaptation also tend to get locked/deleted.

30 minutes ago, edd tollett:( said:

Ah, you sweet summer child....

To give you a brief summary, grrm, or more like his minions, were doing a cheesy little 12 days of x mass thing with each day haveing asoiaf themed verse, each day.

I forget what it was actually promoting, if anything, but of course a lot of ppl thought for sure they were clues pointing to the imminent release date of 'Winds' being announced 

But grrm quelched it after like the 3rd or fouth day (iirc) so imo, he has to know we're going stir crazy right now. That along with the comments being disabled across the board gives me hope!

The thing was, it didn't count down to Christmas. It counted down to the first day of winter. It was a far more compelling case for hype than this Valyria post.

His post about British Museum also has disabled comments http://grrm.livejournal.com/543705.html, so that is unusual.

He either is up to something and hides from us because he wants to finish it and not be pestered about it, or he has seen the error of his ways with posting that dumb post and now hides from us until he thinks we are over it.

Spoiler alert George, we will never be over it, explain now.

The more time passes without another explanation, the more I believe it is what we are all waiting for. That said, I don't understand what game he is playing. He was not supposed to play ambiguity with this subject. And whatever it is, if not what we are expecting, will now be badly received.

16 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

The more time passes without another explanation, the more I believe it is what we are all waiting for. That said, I don't understand what game he is playing. He was not supposed to play ambiguity with this subject. And whatever it is, if not what we are expecting, will now be badly received.

How would the timing of that blog post make any sense then?  People said he was going to drop the "news" on the day of the premier...which was 3 days ago....  

17 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I agree that if this isn't about tWoW, then he is going to lose a lot of good faith he has with a portion of the fandom.  It's already divided as it is with a portion saying "take your time" and the other losing patients.  This will not help at all with the latter and probably some of the former as well.  Not a good move.  If it is about tWoW, then it's odd he did this this because he said there would be not games with the announcement.  Perhaps there is a loophole with this being a message about finishing the writing and not a publication announcement.  That would kill the Oct 18 theory, though.  All this as done really is add uncertainty to a contentious situation which the longer it drags on the worse it will get.  Unless of course he announces the damn book then all is forgiven (hopefully).

GRRM has stated that he learned his lessons about hinting at publishing dates before he was ready on previous books and that the only place we will learn when the book is done is when it is actually finished and that he will announce it in plane language on Not a Blog.  I don't know what the enigmatic Valyria post is about but it isn't an announcement of a publishing date.  There isn't enough information in that blog post to determine anything about a publishing date.  For all we know he stumbled upon the Revelation 18:10 line about Babylon being destroyed all at once and thought it had an uncanny resemblance to how Valyria gets destroyed and simply wanted to say something about it.    18:10 is a reference to where to find the line in the bible and has nothing to do with modern calendars or October 18.

I couldn't understand why the fanbase got so bent out of shape when GRRM and his publishers tried to wish us a Merry Christmas a couple of years ago.  And I don't understand how people can read so much into this current Valyriagate either.  Relax, people.  He'll let us know when he finishes the book in clear language with real dates. 

15 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

GRRM has stated that he learned his lessons about hinting at publishing dates before he was ready on previous books and that the only place we will learn when the book is done is when it is actually finished and that he will announce it in plane language on Not a Blog.  I don't know what the enigmatic Valyria post is about but it isn't an announcement of a publishing date.  There isn't enough information in that blog post to determine anything about a publishing date.  For all we know he stumbled upon the Revelation 18:10 line about Babylon being destroyed all at once and thought it had an uncanny resemblance to how Valyria gets destroyed and simply wanted to say something about it.    18:10 is a reference to where to find the line in the bible and has nothing to do with modern calendars or October 18.

I couldn't understand why the fanbase got so bent out of shape when GRRM and his publishers tried to wish us a Merry Christmas a couple of years ago.  And I don't understand how people can read so much into this current Valyriagate either.  Relax, people.  He'll let us know when he finishes the book in clear language with real dates. 

I'm still on the hype train...

Comments still blocked...

ASoIaF was still the tag...

I still think the biblical reference to the fall of Babylon is a shout out to where we get the expression "the writing is on the wall".

Did I think he would announce Winds during the premier? Maybe...

But if he really did just finish his draft, one would imagine he needs it to be read and feedback received from editors or publishers or someone...

However, until I'm told explicitly otherwise I'm riding this hype train to the end of the line, or at least until next week

22 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

You may be correct that this has nothing to do with a publishing date, but your suggestion he recently stumbled on revelation 18:10 is way off the target. He is an extremely well read individual and was raised a staunch catholic. He knew all the revelations well before last week and he put the image up for some purpose.

1 hour ago, Makk said:

You may be correct that this has nothing to do with a publishing date, but your suggestion he recently stumbled on revelation 18:10 is way off the target. He is an extremely well read individual and was raised a staunch catholic. He knew all the revelations well before last week and he put the image up for some purpose.

I agree. The quote is quite deliberate.

As someone whose has been reading the series since 1996, I'm at the point where I just assume the series will never be finished, and I'll have to rely upon the show for some kind of resolution.  I was understanding of the 5 year gap and the Mereenese knot, but now the 3rd consecutive book taking 5 plus years, seems, to me, something more than just reconciling plot problems.

As to the Babylon post, I would say it was ill advised.  I would appreciate any kind of update, if not that, then complete silence.

How probable is it that due to his age and the time he took to write the last books grrm will accept the help of another writer?

I mean if we add the spinoffs he could be ocupied several months a year with other projects besides asoiaf... besides he seems to be interested in expanding the asoiaf universe and he wont be able to do it spending the rest of his life to finish the series...

15 minutes ago, divica said:

How probable is it that due to his age and the time he took to write the last books grrm will accept the help of another writer?

I mean if we add the spinoffs he could be ocupied several months a year with other projects besides asoiaf... besides he seems to be interested in expanding the asoiaf universe and he wont be able to do it spending the rest of his life to finish the series...

It won't happen. And thank the Old Gods and the new for that. 

@Lady Char, nope. In April (or was it March? Can't remember exactly but it was either Apr or Mar) announced he was finished, and the book was published mid-July.

Archived