Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

1 minute ago, Eli Stark said:

Everyone keeps talking about A Dance With Dragons as being written in 6 years, when in reality a lot of it was written while GRRM wrote Feast.  When he decided to split Feast into two books, we don't know how much of ADWD was already written.  Granted, there was probably some re-working once he was done with Feast, but I'm sure he had a big head start on ADWD once Feast was published.

Originally Feast was 1500 pages, but he cut 500 pages and published Feast as 1000 page book. So he had a 500-page headstart for Dance. But the thing is he scrapped most of those 500 pages and rewrote them. Delays came to Dance because of a lot of rewriting. I've also heard that Winds is going smoother in that there hasn't been a lot of rewriting.

Just now, Sour Billy Tipton said:

"Sansa, Sam, Aeron Damphair, Arianne, and Brienne have no chapters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Several of those characters had chapters written, completed, and polished that have been moved into THE WINDS OF WINTER."

--GRRM 5/19/2011

Thousands of fans thought and/or hoped that gave us reason to believe he would finish early.

I feel a lot of the blame for ADwD taking too long was placed on the MK, but I don't think that was the only reason. The type of problem the MK caused occurred in other storylines as well. I think a lot of time has to be spent in figuring out not only who arrives where when, but also the chapter order, whole chunks of chapters that have to fit here or there, etc. As I've said above, it's a massively daunting job. And it will be the exact same thing with TWoW, if not worse. 

As desperate as I am to read Winds, I'd rather wait than get a rushed job. I'm used to waiting since when I started w/ the novels Storm had just been published. :P

And I know a lot of people don't like Feast/Dance, but I love both. 

3 minutes ago, Eli Stark said:

Everyone keeps talking about A Dance With Dragons as being written in 6 years, when in reality a lot of it was written while GRRM wrote Feast.  When he decided to split Feast into two books, we don't know how much of ADWD was already written.  Granted, there was probably some re-working once he was done with Feast, but I'm sure he had a big head start on ADWD once Feast was published.

Theoretically wasn t it completed and grrm said it would be published within a year? Then something happened and he rewrote it?

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I feel a lot of the blame for ADwD taking too long was placed on the MK, but I don't think that was the only reason. The type of problem the MK caused occurred in other storylines as well. I think a lot of time has to be spent in figuring out not only who arrives where when, but also the chapter order, whole chunks of chapters that have to fit here or there, etc. As I've said above, it's a massively daunting job. And it will be the exact same thing with TWoW, if not worse. 

As desperate as I am to read Winds, I'd rather wait than get a rushed job. I'm used to waiting since when I started w/ the novels Storm had just been published. :P

And I know a lot of people don't like Feast/Dance, but I love both. 

I loved Feast/Dance too. A lot of people found them boring, but they don't realize how important those books were. Just as AGoT was used to set the stage for the war of the Five Kings, Feast and Dance are being used to set the stage for the next great war.

4 minutes ago, divica said:

What if the post is related to one of the spin off being about the doom of valyria?

It would make perfect sense and he can be waiting for hbo to anounce it

I don't think so. Even if he didn't want to tag it HBO, he would have tagged it TV or something, maybe with the ASoIaF tag. But not just the ASoIaF tag imo.

3 minutes ago, Valyirian Aurochs said:

Originally Feast was 1500 pages, but he cut 500 pages and published Feast as 1000 page book. So he had a 500-page headstart for Dance. But the thing is he scrapped most of those 500 pages and rewrote them. Delays came to Dance because of a lot of rewriting. I've also heard that Winds is going smoother in that there hasn't been a lot of rewriting.

That makes sense.  My point was just that you can say ADWD took 6 years to write or you can it say 6 years + however much time he spent on those stories while writing Feast.  Who knows if that saved him time on the re-write or caused more difficulties (I guess that would depend person-to-person and how their brain works).

Either way, I'm hopeful that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and MAYBE we will see Winds in the not-too-distant future.

1 minute ago, Eli Stark said:

That makes sense.  My point was just that you can say ADWD took 6 years to write or you can it say 6 years + however much time he spent on those stories while writing Feast.  Who knows if that saved him time on the re-write or caused more difficulties (I guess that would depend person-to-person and how their brain works).

Either way, I'm hopeful that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and MAYBE we will see Winds in the not-too-distant future.

All men must hope

12 minutes ago, Eli Stark said:

That seems to make it worse...he had more written of Dance back in 2005, but it still took him six more years to get the rest finished.  Plus, he still had many chapters of Dance that got moved forward to Winds, and still it's been 6+ years and still counting.

Just now, divica said:

Wouldn t it be to direct?

Maybe, but more honest as well. I don't know... I don't know the bible, I don't understand the Greyjoy pic. But the ASoIaF tag... that's the thing that gives me the most hope, I think. 

And I think that even if Martin is a bit clueless as to how desperate and starving we all are, he has to know that that tag + enigmatic mood + locked comments (all subsequent posts as well so far) would send everyone into a speculative frenzy. Hence, I hope. I hope, and I compulsively refresh his NaB page! :D

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Maybe it relates to this new "fire and blood" book he's going to start writing........and it's really just one more in a long set of red flags about Winds of Winter being on the back burner.

Could be. But he's talked about that before, many times. Why the enigmatic mood? 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Maybe it relates to this new "fire and blood" book he's going to start writing........and it's really just one more in a long set of red flags about Winds of Winter being on the back burner.

Why the Greyjoy banner then? Blood and Fire is only about the Targaryen Kings.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

It won't happen. And thank the Old Gods and the new for that. 

@Lady Char, nope. In April (or was it March? Can't remember exactly but it was either Apr or Mar) announced he was finished, and the book was published mid-July.

Right. In 2011 he posted he was finished with ADwD. It was set to be released (and did release, as far as google says) on July 12, 2011. I thought it may be more than coincidental that the enigmatic blog post we are all hyped about possibly alluding to him finishing WoW - happened to be posted on July 12, 2017. 

28 minutes ago, divica said:

What if the post is related to one of the spin off being about the doom of valyria?

It would make perfect sense and he can be waiting for hbo to anounce it

I think that is very likely - either way, I am expecting some type of reveal to come out of this. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Char said:

Right. In 2011 he posted he was finished with ADwD. It was set to be released (and did release, as far as google says) on July 12, 2011. I thought it may be more than coincidental that the enigmatic blog post we are all hyped about possibly alluding to him finishing WoW - happened to be posted on July 12, 2017. 

I misread your previous post. 

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Didn t he say he would focus completly on twow?

Maybe if he is going to write that book it is another clue about twow being finished...

Anyway, what is that book about and will it be a short story?

Just now, divica said:

Didn t he say he would focus completly on twow?

Maybe if he is going to write that book it is another clue about twow being finished...

Anyway, what is that book about and will it be a short story?

Targaryen kings.  

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Fire_and_Blood

Archived