Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

This is quite the interesting thread.  Frankly, the fact it hasn't been locked/deleted at this point could be construed as positive evidence in and of itself.  I agree with those that have maintained it is very unlike Martin to troll his readers.  And I'm not going to insult his intelligence - he's either doing that at this point, or he at least has some type of significant update on TWOW in mind.  Of course, I'm an optimist.

23 minutes ago, divica said:

lets keep this topic interesting.

a) when do you think grrm will explain this post?

b ) do you think he will explain the post?

I think he said what he said because he's not allowed to say "I finished the book" because he has legal obligations revolving around such announcements. He said what he said to communicate this while skirting that line.

with that in mind, I expect he won't explain the post, because to do so would be an admission that the post was intended as a communication about the status of the book, something he's legally obligated not to do, and so would open him to legal action.

but I also think that he didn't think it would be this long before his publisher gave the go ahead to talk about it officially.

12 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

I think he said what he said because he's not allowed to say "I finished the book" because he has legal obligations revolving around such announcements. He said what he said to communicate this while skirting that line.

with that in mind, I expect he won't explain the post, because to do so would be an admission that the post was intended as a communication about the status of the book, something he's legally obligated not to do, and so would open him to legal action.

but I also think that he didn't think it would be this long before his publisher gave the go ahead to talk about it officially.

But if he says he finished twow within a short period of time we will all link it to this post...

If he ignores the situation there will be always people nagging him in the comments about what this post means...

16 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

This is quite the interesting thread.  Frankly, the fact it hasn't been locked/deleted at this point could be construed as positive evidence in and of itself.  I agree with those that have maintained it is very unlike Martin to troll his readers.  And I'm not going to insult his intelligence - he's either doing that at this point, or he at least has some type of significant update on TWOW in mind.  Of course, I'm an optimist.

I think the majority of the websites moderators are likely on vacation.

Just now, divica said:

But if he says he finished twow within a short period of time we will all link it to this post...

If he ignores the situation there will be always people nagging him in the comments about what this post means...

it's about plausible deniability. As long as he never admits the post was about TWOW, his publisher can't sue (even if they know full well what he was talking about)

4 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

it's about plausible deniability. As long as he never admits the post was about TWOW, his publisher can't sue (even if they know full well what he was talking about)

Why would the publisher sue?  He announced Dance was finished on his blog, I believe.  What difference would it make to them?  He almost certainly IS going to announce that Winds is finished on his blog first anyway.

54 minutes ago, divica said:

lets keep this topic interesting.

a) when do you think grrm will explain this post?

b ) do you think he will explain the post?

a) I don't think we'll hear anything until his publisher meeting in Aug. I'll say (with great optimism) that it seems likely if this is news of TWoW he would announce it after his publishers give him a specific release date.

b. I don't think he'll need to do much explaining if it is TWoW. If it isn't... Well I hope he has a good reason for sending his fans into a frenzy.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why would the publisher sue?  He announced Dance was finished on his blog, I believe.  What difference would it make to them?  He almost certainly IS going to announce that Winds is finished on his blog first anyway.

Agreed.  I don't see why the publisher would care if he announces he's done on his livejournal.  That's all upside and no discernible downside from their perspective, as far as I can tell.  In fact, I'm sure they'd encourage it.

15 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I think the majority of the websites moderators are likely on vacation.

Sorry, missed this...

If that's the case, let's loot the place!

8 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Agreed.  I don't see why the publisher would care if he announces he's done on his livejournal.  That's all upside and no discernible downside from their perspective, as far as I can tell.  In fact, I'm sure they'd encourage it.

Anybody reading GRRM's livejournal is a garunteed week 1 sale. A major announcement there is a waste from a marketing perspective. The announcement that the book is done will be done under the careful guidance of a PR firm.

I just want to point out that dragonbinder, and the horn of winter, are two separate horns. Dragonbinder is a huge horn that may or may not bind dragons to the owners will. Its is currently with Vic in slavers bay.

The Horn of winter, a.k.a. the Horn of Joramun, may or may not, wake gaints from the earth and collapse the Wall. Its has either been burned or is currently with sam at the citidel.

The Horn on the cover of 'Winds' is presumably the Horn of Winter that Sam has, which has nothing to do with the Greyjoys.

So then why the Greyjoy sigle? Maybe its a reference to the Valyrians sowing the seeds of their own demise? Or maybe grrm is about to reap the rewards of finishing the book!?

Whatever it is, i doubt it has anything to do with a spin off, do to the solitary asoiaf tag.

So until he actualy addresses it, im going to ride this hype train! Choo!! Choo!!!

3 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

Anybody reading GRRM's livejournal is a garunteed week 1 sale. A major announcement there is a waste from a marketing perspective. The announcement that the book is done will be done under the careful guidance of a PR firm.

Grrm has said on multiple occasions that when winds was finished, he would annouce it first on his not a blog

10 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

LOL.  As if any announcement he makes on his livejournal isn't going to be broadcast on every medium known to mankind.

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Have you seen the movie? It's hilarious, and a good study in cultural awareness. 

Nope - if I had I may have been able to form a proper response.  Point taken though, sounds like a really interesting flick.  Definitely on the queue.

Archived