Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

12 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

My little silver lining is that Elio and Linda haven't said anything this time. They were quick to quell the 12 Days of Westeros hype when it happened.

Though, they might be too busy trying to get this site acting in a functional manner as it has been shit for the past week.

31 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That's what people (and GRRM himself) have said about TWoW. And we see how that turned out. As for the enigmatic post, I don't know what to think of it, really. The wisest thing is to be pessimistic until there is an actual cause for optimism. 

I have to disagree with this. All joy should always be taken out in advance because 1 if you don't get what you want you'll be disappointed anyways, and 2 if/when shit turns to shambles you will still have had an awesome time thinking that it wouldn't. So you're basically cheating yourself of positive feelings by not to. B)

48 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That's what people (and GRRM himself) have said about TWoW. And we see how that turned out. As for the enigmatic post, I don't know what to think of it, really. The wisest thing is to be pessimistic until there is an actual cause for optimism. 

Oh and for ados we will not only have less pov but we might also have less locations.

9 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Though, they might be too busy trying to get this site acting in a functional manner as it has been shit for the past week.

Happens every year when the GOT season starts.  It's always the worst on Sunday night and tapers off throughout the week.

9 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

23 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

My little silver lining is that Elio and Linda haven't said anything this time. They were quick to quell the 12 Days of Westeros hype when it happened.

There in spain for an event so that might explain the problems with the site and there lack of respons to the not a blog post.

14 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Worst website ever 

2 minutes ago, direpupy said:

There in spain for an event so that might explain the problems with the site and there lack of respons to the not a blog post.

It's not like issues just started. This site is the worst managed forum I've ever seen.

I love the content, but the issues have only gotten worse over the years. Truly incompetent 

(this post took 5 tries...)

1 minute ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Worst website ever 

It's not like issues just started. This site is the worst managed forum I've ever seen.

I love the content, but the issues have only gotten worse over the years. Truly incompetent 

really 5 tries?  I personnaly have not had any problems for a while now, not since they changed the sever they routed it trough in my country.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:55 AM, Eduardo Aranha said:

To those who don’t know, George R. R. Martin posted an enigmatic post on the 14th of july and there are a few indications that an announcement could be waiting for us in the near future.

4.            The post by itself: http://grrm.livejournal.com/543080.html

Intitled “Alas, Valryia” the post has an image of Old Valrya and the description: Alas, alas, that great city Valyria, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

So what do you guys think? It has been nearly four days since the post and Martin has kept silent.

I just realized that a sci-fi movie with a title word that sounds a lot like "Valyria" (but spelled differently) opened in the U.S. this week. Could GRRM have posted the bit about Valyria in an attempt to generate interest in the new film?

If so, it didn't help because none of us knew what he was talking about. Maybe his post was an expression of sympathy for the lukewarm reviews of the film.

And I guess he wouldn't have used the ASOIAF hashtag for that, would he?

1 minute ago, Seams said:

I just realized that a sci-fi movie with a title word that sounds a lot like "Valyria" (but spelled differently) opened in the U.S. this week. Could GRRM have posted the bit about Valyria in an attempt to generate interest in the new film?

If so, it didn't help because none of us knew what he was talking about. Maybe his post was an expression of sympathy for the lukewarm reviews of the film.

And I guess he wouldn't have used the ASOIAF hashtag for that, would he?

No, that is a long stretch. The tag and the comments predict something a lot, lot bigger.

By the way, if this is something related to writing material (as we are all hoping it is) I don't think it can be the Fire and Blood book or another Dunk and Egg tale. I say this because I have found this today: http://i.imgur.com/7A9ZNNJ.png

44 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Worst website ever 

It's been running better for me since Tuesday. When a new Game of Thrones episode airs, it's literally impossible sometimes to get on the forum for a couple of days.

1 minute ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

No, that is a long stretch. The tag and the comments predict something a lot, lot bigger.

By the way, if this is something related to writing material (as we are all hoping it is) I don't think it can be the Fire and Blood book or another Dunk and Egg tale. I say this because I have found this today: http://i.imgur.com/7A9ZNNJ.png

Once you open the link it makes sense.

However I am much more worried with the spinoffs. Can you imagine if they make for example 2 spinoffs how much time every year it will take from martin's time?

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

When do the optimists think the author is going to explain the post and/or make an announcement?

So, the last thread on this subject, which just sort of disappeared, can be summed up by the following:

1. Prior to the completion of AWDW, GRRM also said he would make a clear statement when done.

2. GRRM had often referred to ADWD as King Kong.  When done, he posted (on his blog) a quote from the end of King Kong, "Twas Beauty that Killed a Beast."  Indicating (with a fairly clear metaphor) that he was done.  That post also had a Greyjoy sigil.

3. It was 30 days later that they formally announced a publication date.

So, some of us are hoping for around a month to get an explanation.

30 minutes ago, divica said:

Once you open the link it makes sense.

However I am much more worried with the spinoffs. Can you imagine if they make for example 2 spinoffs how much time every year it will take from martin's time?

I think he has to sort out his priorities now, and that Dream will be his top priority once Winds is finished... but I don't know. To me, the most intelligent plan would be for him to give the idea for a spin-off and the main points and let other produce, develop and write.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

When do the optimists think the author is going to explain the post and/or make an announcement?

Many believe he will say something before the 9th of August, when he will travel do Helsinki and I honestly don't think he can go any further than that. The hype is real, people are talking, the comments are blocked... he has to explain this behavior, right? 

45 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

Agreed. Even if he is writing other stuff, he wouldn't tell and he certainly wouldn't publish them before TWoW.

5 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

Many believe he will say something before the 9th of August, when he will travel do Helsinki and I honestly don't think he can go any further than that. The hype is real, people are talking, the comments are blocked... he has to explain this behavior, right? 

Moreover, the con would be hell if he doesn't make it clear by than. He will be harassed.

6 minutes ago, Eli Stark said:

So, the last thread on this subject, which just sort of disappeared, can be summed up by the following:

1. Prior to the completion of AWDW, GRRM also said he would make a clear statement when done.

2. GRRM had often referred to ADWD as King Kong.  When done, he posted (on his blog) a quote from the end of King Kong, "Twas Beauty that Killed a Beast."  Indicating (with a fairly clear metaphor) that he was done.  That post also had a Greyjoy sigil.

3. It was 30 days later that they formally announced a publication date.

So, some of us are hoping for around a month to get an explanation.

Thanks for the reminder. I think that what you discribed has similarities with what is happening now... long live the hype! I just hope that he doesn t take 30 days... I have no idea how it was in the past but nowadays asoiaf is probably the most hyped series in the world. They can t take so much time to relese the book after it is done...

11 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

I think he has to sort out his priorities now, and that Dream will be his top priority once Winds is finished... but I don't know. To me, the most intelligent plan would be for him to give the idea for a spin-off and the main points and let other produce, develop and write.

Yeah, I am really seing grrm living like an hermit until he finishes ados... just the time he will spend in conventions and promoting the shows should be huge...

Archived