Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

I mean GRRM has to know the plot right? All of it? He knows how he wants to get to the Long Night II and Spring etc. So it's surprising to me the books take this long. I mean yes they're some of the most complex, dense books filled with clues etc. But the stage has been set pretty well. Does he take a year describing penisses and how ugly Tyrion is? 

I know he chooses every word deliberately, and I Love him for that. But all the cities/castles are pretty much described, except some shit in the South. Dany is only going places we've seen, maybe he needs a week to think out Pentos completely. All the prophecies are pretty much told, we know a lot of the legends/foreshadowing/lore. I'm just curious what is taking so long and would love to know more about GRRM's writing method/process. 

In regards to the blog post: it all points to something pretty big, right. So I would be pretty confident in saying we get WoW in 2017. 

5 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

Yup, I think it's huge, actually, considering the number of guests that will be present. Besides, it's also the ceremony where the Hugo Awards are delivered.

Would he upstage the Hugo Awards by making an announcement at the convention?  

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Though, they might be too busy trying to get this site acting in a functional manner as it has been shit for the past week.

I think that's because of heavy Unsullied traffic over on the TV subforum. 

Okay, fine, I'll try to be more optimistic. GRRM might be giving us an update without saying too much. The quote itself means roughly "The end is near", so he might think he is close to finishing. 

Now, I hate being positive when it comes to GRRM, because it always comes back to bite you, but it's a fairly plausible interpretation, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

If all this fuss is about changing blogs, I'll riot. I swear it by the Old Gods and the New.

Imagine what a great way to a start the new blog with the announcement!
But if this fuss is only about this new blog, I am going to set fire in the streets with you! hahaha

-

I made some investigation on my own too.

Last time GRRM spoke about TWoW was two months ago in this post ( http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html  ). He said he was still working on TWoW. The million dollar question here is: Are two months enough to end the book?

3 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That's what people (and GRRM himself) have said about TWoW. And we see how that turned out. As for the enigmatic post, I don't know what to think of it, really. The wisest thing is to be pessimistic until there is an actual cause for optimism. 

I'm an optimistic cow. Can't change my nature.

1 hour ago, Eli Stark said:

So, the last thread on this subject, which just sort of disappeared, can be summed up by the following:

1. Prior to the completion of AWDW, GRRM also said he would make a clear statement when done.

2. GRRM had often referred to ADWD as King Kong.  When done, he posted (on his blog) a quote from the end of King Kong, "Twas Beauty that Killed a Beast."  Indicating (with a fairly clear metaphor) that he was done.  That post also had a Greyjoy sigil.

3. It was 30 days later that they formally announced a publication date.

So, some of us are hoping for around a month to get an explanation.

I didn't know that about the quote from King Kong, and then an announcement 30 days later.  Perhaps it is close, thanks.  Or I just got sucked back in.

23 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Okay, fine, I'll try to be more optimistic. GRRM might be giving us an update without saying too much. The quote itself means roughly "The end is near", so he might think he is close to finishing. 

Now, I hate being positive when it comes to GRRM, because it always comes back to bite you, but it's a fairly plausible interpretation, IMO.

I agree that's the most sensible interpretation. I think that on balance he's hinting that he's nearly there. Its not finished so he's not announcing it, but the end is nigh, he knows what he wants to say and he's just got to wrap up those final paragraphs.

1 hour ago, Eli Stark said:

So, the last thread on this subject, which just sort of disappeared, can be summed up by the following:

1. Prior to the completion of AWDW, GRRM also said he would make a clear statement when done.

2. GRRM had often referred to ADWD as King Kong.  When done, he posted (on his blog) a quote from the end of King Kong, "Twas Beauty that Killed a Beast."  Indicating (with a fairly clear metaphor) that he was done.  That post also had a Greyjoy sigil.

3. It was 30 days later that they formally announced a publication date.

So, some of us are hoping for around a month to get an explanation.

2. "That post also had a Greyjoy sigil." - No Greyjoy sigil here ( https://ibb.co/kNObjk ). Where did you see that? I'm just curious, not pointing fingers here. ^_^

But that shows how GRRM likes to use metaphors to tell us important things. With the Valyria post I think he did the same, but in a more enigmatic way.

Selling tickets to Hype train here! Choo! Choo!

1 minute ago, Yuri Lobão said:

2. "That post also had a Greyjoy sigil." - No Greyjoy sigil here ( https://ibb.co/kNObjk ). Where did you see that? I'm just curious, not pointing fingers here. ^_^

But that shows how GRRM likes to use metaphors to tell us important things. With the Valyria post I think he did the same, but in a more enigmatic way.

Selling tickets to Hype train here! Choo! Choo!

If the last thread was not deleted, I would pull the screen shot someone posted.  I am not sure where they got it from.  It must be true though.  The internet never lies.

25 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

I agree that's the most sensible interpretation. I think that on balance he's hinting that he's nearly there. Its not finished so he's not announcing it, but the end is nigh, he knows what he wants to say and he's just got to wrap up those final paragraphs.

If I'm not mistaken he said some time ago that when the announcement does come, it will appear on his blog first... ??

10 minutes ago, bemused said:

If I'm not mistaken he said some time ago that when the announcement does come, it will appear on his blog first... ??

Yes, he said he will announce it on his blog, and will not play games when announcing it. I have learned not to get my hopes up, but the post in question does strike me as plausibly being related to the progress of TWOW.

2 hours ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

I think he has to sort out his priorities now, and that Dream will be his top priority once Winds is finished... but I don't know. To me, the most intelligent plan would be for him to give the idea for a spin-off and the main points and let other produce, develop and write.

Yes. If he starts loosing himself again in other projects after Winds, we will wait 6 or 7 years for the last one. I believe he said he made a mistake by not continuing ASoIF right after Dance. Because he was then fully immersed in his world. Of course, promo, some fun, then go back to Dream.

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Moreover, the con would be hell if he doesn't make it clear by than. He will be harassed.

If the fans are deceived by what he has to say/offer, the convention will be a hell for him anyway. So it can only be what we are expecting. Or else he will have to stay hidden until done.

I believe he is mostly done. Only remains stuff like his "sweating", proof reading and his editor. Only the editor can give the exact date for us to get the book.

1 hour ago, Yuri Lobão said:

Maybe he will make the announcement and explain the Varylia post in his new blog? And the motive behind closed comments is the transition between new and old blogs?

https://ibb.co/guyHPk

That Song of Ice and Fire tag gives me hope that the post isn't about the new blog. If it's that GRRM screwed us over pretty bad lol

Archived