Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

Hi guys.

I don’t know what happened to the thread about a post on GRRM’s blog Not A Blog, but since I was following it and was part of the hype train of those who hope an annoucement about The Winds of Winter is coming, I’m resurrecting it. Moderators, feel free to delete this if it is out of turn or place.

To those who don’t know, George R. R. Martin posted an enigmatic post on the 14th of july and there are a few indications that an announcement could be waiting for us in the near future.

1.            The comments are locked.

2.            He used the tag A song of ice and fire, suggesting its not about the TV Show or the spin-offs.

3.            The mood is “enigmatic”.

4.            The post by itself: http://grrm.livejournal.com/543080.html

Intitled “Alas, Valryia” the post has an image of Old Valrya and the description: Alas, alas, that great city Valyria, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

The description its an allusion to a passage on the Book of Revelations.

Revelation 18:10 (CEB) They will stand a long way off because they are afraid of the pain she suffers, and they will say, ‘Oh, the horror! Babylon, you great city, you powerful city! In a single hour your judgment has come.'

On the previous thread, most of the users hoped this meant that an annoucemnt will happen in the next few days or month. One of the most popular opinions was that Martin had finished the writing process and was now finishing up the last details. Lastly, I remember A Dance with the Dragons post, which somehow resembles to this one: http://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html 

So what do you guys think? It has been nearly four days since the post and Martin has kept silent. During those dreadful 12 Days of Westeros, in 2014 (I think it was that year), a hype train crashed by the fourth day. Could this train crash soon? 

More interesting. After grrm post that he finished the book how much time until it is on sale?

If I was his publisher and the book is close to finished I would be pushing for selling it near the end of the tv season...

12 minutes ago, divica said:

More interesting. After grrm post that he finished the book how much time until it is on sale?

If I was his publisher and the book is close to finished I would be pushing for selling it near the end of the tv season...

There are rumors that the editors are prepared to publish the book 3 months after the manuscript is delivered. 

13 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

There are rumors that the editors are prepared to publish the book 3 months after the manuscript is delivered. 

I don t know if I believe in that. It sounds like na absurd amount of time... It would be interesting to compare with the dates of ADWD...

33 minutes ago, divica said:

I don t know if I believe in that. It sounds like na absurd amount of time... It would be interesting to compare with the dates of ADWD...

There are a few links supporting the 3mo interval between the manuscript being delivered and the book being published. One is older, and I think it's from Anne Groell; in it she says that Martin's manuscripts need very little work. The other one, which was posted yesterday, says that it's very doable, and it even breaks down the whole process to show that it is indeed possible. Iirc, Marin announced he was done writing Dance in March or April, and the book came out in July. 

i've wondered what had happened to the topic too.. thanks for bringing it back and of course letting the hype train roll.

i'm more positive now that it's related to winds and i'm veteran of the 12 days of Christmas and the new year post.

i had a naive thinking that he would do something on the got season 7 premiere yesterday but i was wrong.

Three months isn't unbelievable at all. For ADwD, the time between completion of manuscript and publication was around 2.5 months (Martin announced the manuscript was complete in late April 2011 and the book was published around mid-July).

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Three months isn't unbelievable at all. For ADwD, the time between completion of manuscript and publication was around 2.5 months (Martin announced the manuscript was complete in late April 2011 and the book was published around mid-July).

Which means that if they take 2 weeks less it can still be sold near the end of the season. From the comercial point of view I think that by the end of september would be a much better date than november or december when the anual got hype is at its lowest

6 minutes ago, Sor Jon said:

The enigmatic post means "The end is near".

But we don't know what amount of time means "near" for Martin. 

Yeah, that's my [optimistic] take on it as well. 

As to how long that might mean, who knows. But since Martin has repeated a million times that he won't make predictions because he's was so often wrong in the past, I reckon he must be feeling pretty confident that the end is indeed near. Again, IF that's what the post means... 

3 minutes ago, Winter Blues said:

Also note: No Game of Thrones season start post. That has to mean something.

Yes, I also noticed that. The only "post" he made about the series - and I suspect it wasn't him, but his minions - was on his Facebook and Twitter pages.

20 minutes ago, Eli Stark said:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/543423.html

Nope.  He has posted about his event at his theater.  It wasn't tagged ASOIAF.  Comments are off for this new post as well.  Is he trying to avoid people asking about last week's post maybe?

you destroid the hopes of several people...

edit: even the post about selling dunk and egg in germany has the comments blocked

Archived