Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

5 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

Why he would think that anyone wants Wild Cards or Fire and Blood before tWoW KNOWING that he is writing that stuff instead is beyond me. 

Because creativity doesn't always obey our desired timescales, and putting additional pressure on often harms the process or causes someone to seek diversion elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, velo-knight said:

Because creativity doesn't always obey our desired timescales, and putting additional pressure on often harms the process or causes someone to seek diversion elsewhere?

All I hear are excuses at this point. This isn't me trying to convince you or anyone of anything. Just voicing what many are thinking and won't out of fear of moderators. 

Hahaha!

Look at the bright side, GRRM doesn't have to worry about the show spoiling his books. By the time he finishes nobody will remember the show anyway. If the trend continues, ADoS will take 8 years to write, and we all know he'll need a 8th book, which will take 9 years. Mark your calendars people, in 2035 we will get the ending.

I thought GRRM had made it pretty clear in the past that when he is done he will announce it without any theatrics and drama, no? I know its nice to ride on the hypetrain, especially when its new and shiny, but it is bound to lead to a disappointment unless it actually has a station to reach. Woo tortured allegory.

6 hours ago, Ninerings said:

Why he would think that anyone wants Wild Cards or Fire and Blood before tWoW KNOWING that he is writing that stuff instead is beyond me. 

He is not writing it. Fire and Blood vol 1 has been written over the last few years.

41 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

He is not writing it. Fire and Blood vol 1 has been written over the last few years.

He has to have spent time writing it in the last 6 years. And by grrm standards it needs to habe been years!

I am sorry but releasing fire and blood before twow is a very bad move towards the fans. He is so late and is telling the fans he doesn t care and is writting other stuff. It is the same as reading he is involved with several of the spin offs... he is doing other projects despite saying all the time that his priority is twow... and when he says he needs more books to end the saga, is involved in tv projects and other book series and refuses to have a co writter the fans are supposed to be happy?

4 minutes ago, divica said:

He has to have spent time writing it in the last 6 years. And by grrm standards it needs to habe been years!

I am sorry but releasing fire and blood before twow is a very bad move towards the fans. He is so late and is telling the fans he doesn t care and is writting other stuff. It is the same as reading he is involved with several of the spin offs... he is doing other projects despite saying all the time that his priority is twow... and when he says he needs more books to end the saga, is involved in tv projects and other book series and refuses to have a co writter the fans are supposed to be happy?

Where did he say he doesn't care? You are assuming that because of his latest NaB post, but that is just an assumption and an incorrect one imo. To each their own [interpretarion]. 

Yes, he has said TWoW is his priority, and I haven't seen anything that disproves his claim. There is a huge difference between being a priority and being his sole project, you know? As far as I recall, he has never said he would be working solely on Winds and nothing else. 

Tone deaf it is, after decade of reading tripe on his fucking blog, I most certainly won't do that again. 

If, for whatever reason, Fire and Blood comes out before Winds anyone who buys it should get crowned a supreme idiot, Viserys style. If you like it you should buy Book of Swords though, Gardner isn't at fault for his friend being a prick.

Most worrying thing here, aside from TWOW unlikely to come out until the end of 2018, is that after he does publish it, he will write Fire and Blood 2: Fire Harder or whatever it will be called after that, and given how he has TV work and Wild Cards and other stuff, the slog will continue for the ADOS, meaning 2024 is optimistic forecast for the saga finale. Unless it falls short and another book The Children of Summer (referring to naive readers thinking they will get the ending) is needed to tie everything up, coming to you 2031 on thirty-fifth anniversary of AGOT.

I understand writing the F&B I really do, it is fitting change of pace to boost productivity (or procrastination as haters would say) but what I don't understand is why post that fucking blog post.

Haters, with whom I often get into altercations defending G will be so happy and smug and told-you-so, that is the worst part actually, him working so hard to enable his detractors.

14 minutes ago, divica said:

It amazes me how naïve people still are when it comes to believing what GRRM says and it amazes me even more that they still have faith in him.  I also find it personally amusing that so many of these people also attack the TV show, especially as it is the only ending they'll ever get.

I thought TWOW would come out but that would be the final book of the series.  I am now 90% certain we'll never see TWOW.  I personally think he is waiting for the TV show to finish so he can see what direction they go in.  He'll then re-write TWOW to ensure the plots are completely different. I even think he is going to change his original ending.  So with that in mind, the show finishes in 2018.  He'll need two or three years (at least) after the show has finished to re-write TWOW, so we aren't getting the book this decade.  It's utterly amazing that an 8 season TV show has been created and will have finished in the time it's taken him to publish a solitary novel, most of which was written before the TV show aired.

Anyone who thinks he hasn't been working on Fire and Blood for last few years is truly deluding themselves.  His thunder has been stolen regarding ASOIAF so now it's a rush to get lore out before HBO pick up any of the prequels.

Finally, the Valyria post is pretty obvious.  The show was about to start a new season and GRRM has history of trying to deflect attention from the show and make it about me, me and me.  For his self styled hard core fans, the post did the trick.  For the rest of us?  Most of us saw through it the moment he posted it.

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Where did he say he doesn't care? You are assuming that because of his latest NaB post, but that is just an assumption and an incorrect one imo. To each their own [interpretarion]. 

Yes, he has said TWoW is his priority, and I haven't seen anything that disproves his claim. There is a huge difference between being a priority and being his sole project, you know? As far as I recall, he has never said he would be working solely on Winds and nothing else. 

When he says

And yes, before someone asks, I AM STILL WORKING ON WINDS OF WINTER and will continue working on it until it's done. I will confess, I do wish I could clone myself, or find a way to squeeze more hours into the day, or a way to go without sleep. But this is what it is, so I keep on juggling. WINDS OF WINTER, five successor shows, FIRE AND BLOOD (that's the GRRMarillion, remember?), four new Wild Cards books, some things I can't tell you about yet... it's a good thing I love my work.

I can t understand how someone who wants to finish twow could be involved in so many projects... how much time can he have spent on twow with so many other things... 

To me the fact he is doing so manny things besides twow which is still months away shows how little he cares about finishing it. You can t have things both ways... he can t be doing a thousand things and be very concerned about twow...

10 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

It amazes me how naïve people still are when it comes to believing what GRRM says and it amazes me even more that they still have faith in him.  I also find it personally amusing that so many of these people also attack the TV show, especially as it is the only ending they'll ever get.

I thought TWOW would come out but that would be the final book of the series.  I am now 90% certain we'll never see TWOW.  I personally think he is waiting for the TV show to finish so he can see what direction they go in.  He'll then re-write TWOW to ensure the plots are completely different. I even think he is going to change his original ending.  So with that in mind, the show finishes in 2018.  He'll need two or three years (at least) after the show has finished to re-write TWOW, so we aren't getting the book this decade.  It's utterly amazing that an 8 season TV show has been created and will have finished in the time it's taken him to publish a solitary novel, most of which was written before the TV show aired.

Anyone who thinks he hasn't been working on Fire and Blood for last few years is truly deluding themselves.  His thunder has been stolen regarding ASOIAF so now it's a rush to get lore out before HBO pick up any of the prequels.

Finally, the Valyria post is pretty obvious.  The show was about to start a new season and GRRM has history of trying to deflect attention from the show and make it about me, me and me.  For his self styled hard core fans, the post did the trick.  For the rest of us?  Most of us saw through it the moment he posted it.

I don t believe he will rewrite twow after the show because most of what happen in the show must also happen in the books.

However I am starting to think that I will never understand grrm... He was supposed to have ended twow several times in 2015 and 2 years later the book is still months away. Something must not be right... 

The first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD is basically complete. He has written the story of the Conquest and the Conqueror, 'The Sons of the Dragon' (Aenys & Maegor), 'The Heirs of the Dragon' (Viserys I, Rhaenyra, and Daemon), 'The Death of the Dragons' (the Dance of the Dragons), and the account on the Regency of Aegon III years ago.

The only thing that has been missing (and preventing a publication of that volume) is a detailed account on the reign of the Old King and the Good Queen. That he'll have to write or complete before the book gets published. We didn't know that this was missing until it was revealed both by George and Ran.

I remember suggesting that the first half of FIRE AND BLOOD could easily enough be published in its own volume years ago when I thought George has basically written a complete account on the history of the Targaryen kings up until Aegon III. What made that impossible at that time seems to have been the fact that Jaehaerys I's reign was still not flashed out in detail.

And now, if HBO is going to make a spin-off series on the Conquest, Aenys and Maegor, the Dance, or any other historical period of Westeros George has actually flashed out in detail it is very, very likely that he is going to do anything in power to get that story out in print in a complete and unabridged form before the first episode of such a series is going to air. He doesn't want HBO to give us our first 'complete picture' of the Dance, etc. Not after what the show did to ASoIaF.

George wrote the entirety of FIRE AND BLOOD aside from the missing piece on the Old King while he was still working on ADwD. This isn't going to be that much of a diversion from TWoW. And quite honestly, I'm more resentful of seeing him sitting on already finished material like those detailed Targaryen histories than complaining that he doesn't finish TWoW. But then, I'm honestly more interested in this historical material than the actual novel series.

The idea that Martin will wait for the show to end to re-write TWoW is so completely idiotic I have no words. Other than idiotic, that is. 

That he may work on other projects alongside TWoW and only have the book ready after the show is at least being filmed is something I would actually like very much. 

Yeah, the other way around, so that Benioff &a Weiss don't have the opportunity to rectify some of their more... erhm... fanciful ideas.

This only demonstrates how irresponsible and irrational some people become with these "hype trains." Whatever the Valyria post means, "I'm done" was clearly never an option, because he said he would announce it when he is done. No need for anyone to get butthurt because they let their imagination get the better of them. Many people look forward to Fire and Blood, just as many looked forward to TWOIAF. Check that forum if you really think nobody is going to buy Fire and Blood because it isn't TWOW. It would be absurd for him to sit on something nearly ready to be published just because TWOW is not ready. I want TWOW as much as the next person, but I'm not going to blame George for fan hype that only gets so far out of hand because some people ignore his previous statements about making an annoucement. Frank Hebert took about seven years to put out the third Dune book, and that was only around 400 pages, and without the more difficult POV format. It'll be done when it's done, no use having tantrums about it.

1 hour ago, Ser Gareth said:

He'll not rewrite Winds, that would be a stupid idea, the show is already different from Winds with s6+s7 (leaks). If theyre going to be the same I won't read more than 20 pages. ANd the show might end up in 2018, but also it's likely to end in 2019.

I never thought that Valyrya's post was about to announce Winds, but after reading this thread, I became a little excited and now I am frustrated again.

49 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD is basically complete. He has written the story of the Conquest and the Conqueror, 'The Sons of the Dragon' (Aenys & Maegor), 'The Heirs of the Dragon' (Viserys I, Rhaenyra, and Daemon), 'The Death of the Dragons' (the Dance of the Dragons), and the account on the Regency of Aegon III years ago.

The only thing that has been missing (and preventing a publication of that volume) is a detailed account on the reign of the Old King and the Good Queen. That he'll have to write or complete before the book gets published. We didn't know that this was missing until it was revealed both by George and Ran.

Then this is bad news, since both books won't be published in 2018 and one is to be published that year, so then it will be FaB.

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Then this is bad news, since both books won't be published in 2018 and one is to be published that year, so then it will be FaB.

Again, perhaps he has first to finish the account on Jaehaerys I and Alysanne. Depending how detailed that's supposed to be and how much happens in that era that still could take some time.

And then they could want to add art to that volume as well, and he might want to go through the entire text and polish it somewhat, or add and change some details.

Archived