Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

24 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

This only demonstrates how irresponsible and irrational some people become with these "hype trains." Whatever the Valyria post means, "I'm done" was clearly never an option, because he said he would announce it when he is done. No need for anyone to get butthurt because they let their imagination get the better of them. Many people look forward to Fire and Blood, just as many looked forward to TWOIAF. Check that forum if you really think nobody is going to buy Fire and Blood because it isn't TWOW. It would be absurd for him to sit on something nearly ready to be published just because TWOW is not ready. I want TWOW as much as the next person, but I'm not going to blame George for fan hype that only gets so far out of hand because some people ignore his previous statements about making an annoucement. Frank Hebert took about seven years to put out the third Dune book, and that was only around 400 pages, and without the more difficult POV format. It'll be done when it's done, no use having tantrums about it.

:agree:

And I did jump on the hype train! I believe Martin when he says he'll make the announcement ("it's done") on his NaB. But I thought it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that the "Alas, Valyria" post could be about some major hurdle he got over or a hint that "the end is near". I was obviously wrong, and I still agree w/ what you've said. 

That is to say, not every passenger of the hype train (that just crashed) is necessarily butthurt! :P

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

And now, if HBO is going to make a spin-off series on the Conquest, Aenys and Maegor, the Dance, or any other historical period of Westeros George has actually flashed out in detail it is very, very likely that he is going to do anything in power to get that story out in print in a complete and unabridged form before the first episode of such a series is going to air. He doesn't want HBO to give us our first 'complete picture' of the Dance, etc. Not after what the show did to ASoIaF.

George wrote the entirety of FIRE AND BLOOD aside from the missing piece on the Old King while he was still working on ADwD. This isn't going to be that much of a diversion from TWoW. And quite honestly, I'm more resentful of seeing him sitting on already finished material like those detailed Targaryen histories than complaining that he doesn't finish TWoW. But then, I'm honestly more interested in this historical material than the actual novel series.

Where did you get that info (the bold part)?  He was writing those sidebars in 2012 according to his blog:  Link.  He didn't announce his work being complete on WOIAF until early 2014 IIRC.    

As to the timing of the release of Fire & Blood, I don't think the spinoffs are the motivation.  WOIAF (and the novellas) already went into decent detail for the major events from House Targ's history likely to be the focus of a spinoff (Aegon's conquest and Dance...that's pretty much it.  Blackfyre rebellion is not happening; no dragons).   

I think the timing points to George's publishers just wanting a Westeros book to release alongside the Show's final season, which is also due to air in either late 2018 or early 2019 (not a coincidence he gave that same window for Fire and Blood imo).

Sadly, this tells me George's publishers have no faith in him getting WInds out before the final season; Fire & Blood is their consolation prize.  

11 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Where did you get that info (the bold part)?  He was writing those sidebars in 2012 according to his blog:  Link.  He didn't announce his work being complete on WOIAF until early 2014 IIRC.    

He has some earlier blog posts indicating that he was working on material for TWoIaF much earlier. The last part for TWoIaF was his history of the Ironborn.

11 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

As to the timing of the release of Fire & Blood, I don't think the spinoffs are the motivation.  WOIAF (and the novellas) already went into decent detail for the major events from House Targ's history likely to be the focus of a spinoff (Aegon's conquest and Dance...that's pretty much it.  Blackfyre rebellion is not happening; no dragons).

The wish to publish another book from George might also figure into that, of course, but if he went along with this idea to only publish FIRE AND BLOOD after ASoIaF and Dunk & Egg are complete we would most likely only get that after another (or multiple) spin-off series have aired.

We have a decent overview of the Dance and some other historical periods but it is twisted and incomplete in many aspects, and it is not that far-fetched to assume that George wants to be the guy who first gives anyone the complete and definitive version of those things rather than some TV show.

The Dance is very likely an interesting topic for a series, especially if they take their time with that and adapt both the prelude as well as the actual war. The Sea Snake, Daemon, Rhaenyra, Laenor, Alicent and Otto, the Strongs, etc. could make things reasonably interesting prior to the actual mayhem.

But the Conqueror and his sister-wives and sons also could make a very fine story, especially the wars throughout Maegor's reign. A series beginning with an Aegon in his twenties preparing for Conquest and eventually ending after a couple of seasons with the wedding of young Jaehaerys I and Alysanne and the prospect of a golden future could make a fine story, too.

It would involve a less dense way of story-telling, as it is done with The Tudors or Rome since the various children have to grow up, but it could have potential.

28 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

So now we're left with the original question: What is the Alas, Valyria post about?

I still think it refers to something from TWOW he just wrote.  Which, sadly, doesn't appear anywhere near the end of the book.

As of today, I no longer expect GRRM to finish this series.  

Why?  Well,  he now claims TWOW may come out in 2019 (or may not -- who knows).  

If that proves accurate, a very uncertain matter, it continues his trend of taking about a year and a half longer than he took for the last book, and projecting forward, it leaves us with a rough pub date of 2028 for ADOS.  

And will ADOS even be the last book?  I doubt it.  Having read about 10% of TWOW, meaning the sample chapters, I see no sign that he's optimizing the remaining story in such a way as to wrap in two books.  He continues to indulge in pit-stop chapters of questionable narrative value largely because he wants to visit new places.

He's just a little too prone to gardening, I'm afraid, when what he desperately needs is the discipline of architecture.  And this is the outcome of his gardening to the architecture of ASOIAF:

...the heart tree had grown so huge and tangled that it had choked out all the oaks and elms and birch and sent its thick, pale limbs crashing through the walls and windows that looked down on it. Its roots were as thick around as a man's waist, its trunk so wide that the face carved into it looked fat and angry

14 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I must be a lot stupider than I thought b/c I [still] have no idea why he used the song of ice and fire tag and the enigmatic mood... :dunce:

In hindsight I think it is clear that he chose the Doom, because that was the reason why the Targaryens moved to Dragonstone. Without the destruction of the Valyrian Freehold they would have never become the Lords of Seven Kingdoms.

From that POV it makes sense that the Doom could be seen as the starting point of Fire and Blood.

Enigmatic, because he was preparing a surprise for us? A different kind of surprise than many people wanted, but still pleasant. For that matter, while I'd prefer to read about Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, and Bran over Targaryen history, I will take historical Targaryens over the likes of main-series Greyjoys and the Martells any day. Honestly, there's only a couple of storylines I'm really invested in.

And it's tagged as A Song of Ice and Fire because it is a companion book for the very same series.

That's my guess, anyway.

.....................................................................................

Anyhow, I don't see why people are offended? So, it takes him ages to write, we have already known that.

He said that once he's finished with TWoW, he would play no word games and state it clearly.

He has also referred to TWoW as "Son of Kong", not Son of Dragon or Son of Fire or anything even vaguely Valyria-related.

Certain people should listen to what actually says instead of reading from tea leaves.

15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I must be a lot stupider than I thought b/c I [still] have no idea why he used the song of ice and fire tag and the enigmatic mood... :dunce:

Because Fire and Blood is related to A Song of Ice and Fire as its about Westeros.  Enigmatic, no comment.

"In one hour thy doom has come." So Valyria = Babylon (works of man) at least in GRRM's enigmatic mind, apparently. Perhaps he was just admiring the artwork he posted. In any case, it's a readable passage, Revelations 18:10: 

How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow. 8Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong isthe Lord God who judgeth her. 9And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning, 10Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come. 11And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more: 12The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble, 13And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.

GRRM declares in his latest nab post 2 extremes to be completely false:

1. The book already being finished for a long time, and he sitting on it

2. He not having written anything at all.

He claims that both have been suggested by journalists recently. Well, that's not true. The only recent rumours are only about the book almost being finished b/c of the alas-post, to which he doesn't even refer.

So whatever he is denying, it's not a denial that the book is almost being finished/or that only a last edit by grrm is being done.

The alas-rumours are not addressed by his last nab, and even fall right in between "nothing at all" and "finished for a long time"

He obviously cannot confirm the "almost finished" status, but he felt like he had to say something, and therefore he says thus, which is nothing, and even ignores is own alas-post.

He has learned to make no predictions, and therefore sticks to his "months away" credo, which is always literally true.

So no hype train, but still sticking to the idea that the alas-post showed that the end is very near.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I got a question : when Grrm is talking about Fire And Blood part 1, he says it will go from conquest to Aegon III's regency, he says it will go through the regency, so does he mean that the Part 1 will cover Aegon the Dragonbane's regency or that it will stop before it and will go through it in part 2 (because it says part 2 will cover from aegon 3 to Robert's Rebellion) ? 

Thanks guys

2 hours ago, DrowtheOneandOnly said:

Hey guys, I'm new here. I got a question : when Grrm is talking about Fire And Blood part 1, he says it will go from conquest to Aegon III's regency, he says it will go through the regency, so does he mean that the Part 1 will cover Aegon the Dragonbane's regency or that it will stop before it and will go through it in part 2 (because it says part 2 will cover from aegon 3 to Robert's Rebellion) ? 

Thanks guys

Try this link:

I spy an old building. A theater. The building has been left to ruin for many years.

Are there any engineers out there in internet land?

I want to rebuild that old theater. What is the process? Do I have someone come in to investigate the space? Does someone tell me the pros and cons, the safety concerns, the permit laws and regulations, the amount of time and resources that will be involved in the renovation?

Rebuilding the theater takes how many years? At least three?     Meetings and details.

The reason I mention this is not that I begrudge Martin and the projects he is involved in. He has done good works.

Are there any television production people out there in internet land?

How long does it take to get an idea for a show to the place where production actually occurs?     Three years?     There are a multitude of individuals involved. Most importantly the money lender. Meetings and details.

I want to spend time with my spouse. I want to travel. I need to maintain my abode. I need to eat and sleep. I want to read books and play with my toys and write my books. I get side tracked with my multiple projects. Suggestions?

Well, the analyst says ---- pick a priority. You have some age on you now, if your writing is a priority I suggest that you take a sabbatical. Go. Close off the daily interruptions. Submerse yourself in your story. Complete it. If, of course that is your priority.

Otherwise stfu and hire a PR person and get a new editor.

Btw, I am proud that you are getting your, what is it called, Grillmillion published in two volumes. Yes, yes, I understand the second volume is incomplete. I have to confess though; since the Dunk and Egg tales are incomplete, and the ASOIAF series is incomplete I really do feel the need to disclose that in my opinion you lack credibility and I no longer purchase nor read trilogies until they are complete.

Sooooooooooo, my bill will arrive within the week. Prompt payment will be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I...snipped.....

I want to spend time with my spouse. I want to travel. I need to maintain my abode. I need to eat and sleep. I want to read books and play with my toys and write my books. I get side tracked with my multiple projects. Suggestions?

Well, the analyst says ---- pick a priority. You have some age on you now, if your writing is a priority I suggest that you take a sabbatical. Go. Close off the daily interruptions. Submerse yourself in your story. Complete it. If, of course that is your priority.

Btw, I am proud that you are getting your, what is it called, Grillmillion published in two volumes. Yes, yes, I understand the second volume is incomplete. I have to confess though; since the Dunk and Egg tales are incomplete, and the ASOIAF series is incomplete I really do feel the need to disclose that in my opinion you lack credibility and I no longer purchase nor read trilogies until they are complete.

Sooooooooooo, my bill will arrive within the week. Prompt payment will be appreciated.

Very funny.

9 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

Fire and Blood is a blatant money grab plain and simple. 

Sure it is. Martin must need that $ desperately. I might write him a check since he's in such dire straits financially. /s

14 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

Fire and Blood is a blatant money grab plain and simple. 

I'd say an altruistic gesture in favor of his publishers : giving them something to release before the end of the show, while Martin only will take the blame for the thing not being Twow.

3 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I've always defended George's right to write Winds at his own pace, and I still think he should take the time that he needs.

That being said, I really do find it a little baffling that he thinks anybody gives the first shit about Fire & Blood at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it just like I enjoyed TWoIaF and the illustrated Dunk & Egg collection, but referring to it as "a westeros book" in the same context as TWoW feels a little Rothfuss-y. I kinds wanna say "no dude, doesn't count," but he gets enough snotty comments like that as is.

Still, this is a bit disappointing. Though I only have myself to blame getting caught up in the hype. Should have known better...

I think that what most people that defend grrm are missing is that people aren t criticizing grrm because he takes a lot of time to write books.

They are starting to criticize grrm because they believe the delay in the books is because he is doing several side projects besides writting the asoiaf books and he doesn t care. It isn t normal for a 68 year old author  that is writting a book for 6 years being involved in 1 tv show, 5 spin offs, wild cards books, fire and blood, egg books, twoiaf, several conventions and interviews and whatever else in the space of a year or 2!

When we add the fact that nearly nobody believes that he will end the story in 2 books and that he refuses to accept a co author it seems he doesn t finish the series because he doesn t want/ care instead of doesn t can. Which are 2 very diferente things!

28 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I spy an old building. A theater. The building has been left to ruin for many years.

Are there any engineers out there in internet land?

I want to rebuild that old theater. What is the process? Do I have someone come in to investigate the space? Does someone tell me the pros and cons, the safety concerns, the permit laws and regulations, the amount of time and resources that will be involved in the renovation?

Rebuilding the theater takes how many years? At least three?     Meetings and details.

The reason I mention this is not that I begrudge Martin and the projects he is involved in. He has done good works.

Are there any television production people out there in internet land?

How long does it take to get an idea for a show to the place where production actually occurs?     Three years?     There are a multitude of individuals involved. Most importantly the money lender. Meetings and details.

congrats for the acurate post

Archived