[spoilers] well, kind of: Full legible transcript of books Sam and Gilly read S7E1

irishpisano

So this as much of the texts that Gilly and Sam were reading that I could read on the screen.

Notes on my question marks:

??? signifies an illegible word

? at the beginning of a word indicates the first few letters cannot be read

? at the end of a word or set of parentheses indicates that I have made an assumption about the word

??????????? indicates many words on the page but off screen

Gilly’s book:  TALES OF THE LONG NIGHT

As the First Men established their realms following their Pact, little troubled them save their own feuds and wars, or so the histories tell us.  What we learn of the Long Night when a season of winter came that lasted a generation – a generation in which children were born, drew into adulthood, and in many cases died without ever seeing the ??? ??? some of the ??? ??? ??? ??? that the never ??? ??? ??? light of day ??? ??? ??? ??? winter that fell on the world.  While they ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? more than fancy that ??? ??? some cataclysm  ??? ??? many thousands of years ago ??? my? Certain, Lomas Longstrider In by Wonders Made by Men recounts meeting descendants of the Rhoynar whose ??? ???

SAMS BOOK - unknown title

1st page shown

More damning ??? the Children, though, was that even when their weapons found the weak joints in the armour or penetrated it outright there were always more men waiting.  In the great war that followed many of the Children perished ??? The Pact that br-??? ??? to the two (brought peace to the two)?

??????????? disputed, note a resurgence of dragonglass dur-

??????????? we do not know anymore

??????????? bronze couldn’t bear

??????????? brittle as twings, and

??????????? ?ver the case, the

??????????? the Long N

??????????? dragon

???????????

This page had pictures (Figure 18) of arrowheads presumably made of dragonglass

2nd page partially shown

There is a dagger – fashioned like a sword:  pommel, crossguard, blade – denoted as figure 19.  It is similar in size to Tyrion’s dagger on the following page, but there is no scale comparing the two.  There is also, presumably, a “figure 20” that is on the bottom left of the page off-screen.)

??????????? ?olute studies the so-called

??????????? of the arcane and magical

??????????? test is to stand a solitary vig

??????????? with three dragonglass

??????????? By that time he has learned of the

??????????? legends – that, seated before the

??????????? ?cally–lit candles their sorcerers con

??????????? ?oss mountains, seas, and deserts;

??????????? dreams and give him

??????????? to one another half a

???????????  has no torch and

??????????? he can ???

??????????? darkness

3rd page shown

Tyrion’s Dagger (Figure 21)

The Valyrians were familiar with dragonglass long before they came to Westeros.  They called it ??? ??? which translated to “frozen fire” in Valyrian and eastern tales tell of how their dragons would thaw the stone with dragonflame until it became molten and malleable. The Valyrians then used it to build their strange monuments and building without seams and joints of our modern castles.

When Aegon the conqueror forged his Seven Kingdoms, he and his descendants would often decorate their blades with dragonglass feeling a kinship with the stone.  The royal fashion for dragonglass ornamentation soon spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms to those wealthy enough to affod it.  Hilts and pommels were and are the most common decoration for dragonglass if too brittle to make a useful crossguard.  Indeed, its very brittleness is what relegate it to the great houses and the most successful merchants.

4th page, partially shown

??????????? the faithless?

??????????? to Westeros

??????????? use dragon

??????????? the stone, which

??????????? and some of the

??????????? ?ings adorned with

??????????? princes and

??????????? for the most part, dr-

??????????? difficult for build-

??????????? ostentatious kind pre-

??????????? dragonglass are the

??????????? ??der the stone sacred thong

??????????? or because of some arcane

??????????? the case, in the eastern mar

??????????? ?les and amulets along with

??????????? are even tales of the less sav

??????????? ?d dragonglass as a cure for

??????????? great? work on illnesses and dise-

??????????? harm? incurs from the ingestion

??????????? discount? the harm to the gullible

??????????? spent? on practical treatments

??????????? this association with the

??????????? which? explains the low

??????????? have? purchased

??????????? sadly?

5th page shown with map of dragonstone, and the mountain of dragonglass (figure 22)

Or perhaps geography is to blame?.  While dragonglass ??? ??? ??? ??? Westeros, the island of Dragonstone (more than lives up)? to its name, housing vast deposits of dragonglass ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? of an ancient mine? Of the First Men B??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? and, as Maester Anlen theorized, value derives from scarcity.

{{diagram}}

But absence results in worthlessness.  True, legend has it that Valyria took as much dragonglass as gold from the mines beneath their Fourteen Flames, but the Doom burned all evidence beneath the Smoldering Sea or burned it alongwith the dragons and very skies on that

3rd TEXT

On another paper, separate, laying on Sam’s desk is the word “prince”.  This looks like 1 loose piece of paper, and with only 1 word legible, there's nothing to go on.

Notes and theories

1.         No mention of Valyrian Steel.

2.         Dragonglass is possibly part of the treatment for greyscale.  But possibly can harm when ingested.

a.         Jorah is in the Citadel and speaks to Sam about Dany.

b.         Sam will probably speak with Jorah, and realize that he’s got to get Jorah’s info to Jon.

c.          Sam will treat Jorah’s greyscale, and Jorah will leave the Citadel

d.        This is probably how Shireen was treated…… she lived on Dragstone – she lived around dragonglass….. must be part of it.  Maybe an "exposure treatment”?  Just by being around dragonglass she was "cured" (maybe it gives off radiation in the way that granite does, but more powerfully) or someone found the cure on DS.

3.         Dragonglass is forged by dragonfire melting “the stone” (what stone?), and then smiths forging it.

a.         It also says that dragonglass is brittle… but perhaps that’s because the people trying to manipulate it were doing so in its solid state… perhaps if it is dragonforged it is                               stronger?

4.         Sam mentions to Gilly that the CotF used dragonglass… but does not mention how they acquired it.  Did they create it themselves?  Did they have dragons?  Is it their world's version of obsidian?

Enjoy.

23 hours ago, irishpisano said:

Notes and theories

1.         No mention of Valyrian Steel.

2.         Dragonglass is possibly part of the treatment for greyscale.  But possibly can harm when ingested.

a.         Jorah is in the Citadel and speaks to Sam about Dany.

b.         Sam will probably speak with Jorah, and realize that he’s got to get Jorah’s info to Jon.

c.          Sam will treat Jorah’s greyscale, and Jorah will leave the Citadel

d.        This is probably how Shireen was treated…… she lived on Dragstone – she lived around dragonglass….. must be part of it.  Maybe an "exposure treatment”?  Just by being around dragonglass she was "cured" (maybe it gives off radiation in the way that granite does, but more powerfully) or someone found the cure on DS.

3.         Dragonglass is forged by dragonfire melting “the stone” (what stone?), and then smiths forging it.

a.         It also says that dragonglass is brittle… but perhaps that’s because the people trying to manipulate it were doing so in its solid state… perhaps if it is dragonforged it is                               stronger?

4.         Sam mentions to Gilly that the CotF used dragonglass… but does not mention how they acquired it.  Did they create it themselves?  Did they have dragons?  Is it their world's version of obsidian?

Enjoy.

I haven't seen the episode but I watched the scene with Sam and Gilly looking at the books on YouTube just now.  The resolution wasn't nearly good enough for me to read anything on the pages so thanks for putting in the effort of transcribing for us.

I have a personal history of glassblowing and casting and working with molten glass.  The use of language regarding the working of dragonglass is a bit confused.  I'm pretty sure that it has already been established that dragonglass is what they call obsidian in Game of Thrones but it has magical qualities that our mundane obsidian lacks.   The simplest explanation for them calling it stone and mining it like stone is the fact that obsidian is a stone.  But they lose me when they talk about forging it.  Forging is a process used when working metal.  You would forge a steel blade by heating and hammering it repeatedly which allows the craftsman to shape it and also strengthens and hardens it.  By contrast obsidian blades are made by chipping away material to shape it and create a sharp edge.

Dragonglass is brittle because obsidian (naturally occurring glass) is brittle.

The dragonglass daggers and arrowheads seen earlier in the series are made traditionally and look pretty similar to flint or obsidian ones made in the real world by napping or chipping away the material.

Thanks for doing this, @irishpisano! I was wondering about those books. I'm always fascinated by props like that, wondering how detailed they are and how accurate to the coming story.

Radio Westeros discussed a theory of "forging" dragonglass in their Long Night episode, I believe.

10 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Honestly, why does anybody care about what's written there?

And that's coming from you, who read (all of) the books multiple times, and has quite a profound knowledge of the background of most of the major houses and their history (although I'm sure you look up a couple of things when you reply to something in the book-forums)?

I will admit that I myself would never go trough all the trouble of taking the screenshots and trying to translate them to English (of Dutch in my case). However, the fact that it is possible to translate the books from the TV series to an understandable language is worth a compliment for the translator, but also for the creators of the show. They knew that people were going to try and translate it, and just putting jibberish on the pages would be noticed quickly.

Thanks for starting this, I find it interesting, As we know the show and the books are going to end in roughly the same way, so though the lore in the books may be far more involved, the lore in the show should still contain the major points relative to the basic overall narrative of this saga

I have found some better resolution to fully translate some - nothing new here.

As the First Men established their realms following their Pact, little troubled them save their own feuds and wars, or so the histories tell us.  What we learn of the Long Night when a season of winter came that lasted a generation – a generation in which children were born, drew into adulthood, and in many cases died without ever seeing the morning. Indeed some of the old wives say that they never even beheld the light of day, so complete was the winter that fell on the world.

Here is the next bit

While this tale may be little more than fancy that fact that some cataclysm took place many thousands of years ago seems certain. Lomas Longstrider In by Wonders Made by Men recounts meeting descendants of the Rhoynar whose secret long

the trick is that words sometimes start on one line and end on the next

20 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Sure, but the point is that the stuff there is completely made up by the people making the show. It is not going to contain any special knowledge.

For the show it does contain special knowledge, otherwise the creators wouldn't have punt in all the effort to make the 'real text' in the show-books. How (or even if) it could be relevant to the books is an entirely different discussion :).

I love this so so much! Thanks for taking the time!

And perhaps the forging part is actually how they ended up with Valyrian Steel, since mined dragon glass has been confirmed by the characters to be obsidian (their version as White Raven said above.) Wish we could see the missing text.

6 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I love this so so much! Thanks for taking the time!

And perhaps the forging part is actually how they ended up with Valyrian Steel, since mined dragon glass has been confirmed by the characters to be obsidian (their version as White Raven said above.) Wish we could see the missing text.

I think you could be onto something here.  Does Valyrian steel not have a weird red tint to it?  This could be some connection with fire I guess.

Here is all of the text from the Dragonstone map page:

Or perhaps geography is to blame? While dragonglass is rare in mainland Westeros, the island of Dragonstone more than lives up to its name, housing vast deposits of dragonglass and even the remains of an ancient mine Of the First Men. But Essos has no such equivalent and, as Maester Anlen theorised, value derives from scarcity

(Map with mine at bottom of Island)

but absence results in worthlessness.  True, legend has it that Valyria took as much dragonglass as gold from the mines beneath their Fourteen Flames, but the Doom buried all evidence beneath the Smoldering Sea or burned it along with the dragons and very skies on that

It seems very coincidental that dragonglass is found in the places where dragons were - none in Essos apart from Valyria. Probably some in Asshai with the mutated dragons in the mountains also. And, in the book lore, weren't there fire worms in the Valerian mines that also seem related to dragons and dragonglass?

The Nights King (in the show) is also made from dragonglass - and his White Walkers (probably Craster's sons) can be killed by it.

Other than dragonglass seeming to be involved in everything magical, I have no idea how it all connects.

Oh, here is all of the top of the first page of Sam's book:

More damning for the Children, though, was that even when their weapons found the weak joints in the armour or penetrated it outright, there were always more men waiting.  In the great war that followed many of the Children perished until The Pact that brought peace to the two

The rest I find is too scarce to bother trying to form complete sentences out of, or the OP has already captured it.

Archived