Who Am I?

Aegon VII

1:

I come from one of the oldest, most prestigious families in Westeros. As a young child, my house was brought to near destruction after being betrayed by our bannermen during war. After this betrayal, my brother and I were forced to leave our home in secret and escape the realm, while being hunted down by our enemies. Since leaving the realm I have grown exponentially more powerful. I have prophetic dreams, especially after a cup or two. I may never return to Westeros, but it seems only natural that I will return and will become either the savior or the villain of ASOIAF.

2:

I am a bastard, supposedly. I am a skilled warrior and a true leader of men. I rose to prominence in the Night’s Watch before leaving to go north. Though my former brothers may label me a traitor, I have arguably done more than anyone else in the realm in the fight against the others. In general, my colors are red, white and black. Many readers would argue that I am barely alive at the end of ADWD, if that.

3:

Many have suggested my exploits were inspired by Bael the Bard. I once either rescued or kidnapped a stark girl, depending on your perspective. Violence is not my first choice, but the text (asoiaf) has shown I will resort to it when necessary, specifically one v one combat. I grew to be one of the most powerful people in Westeros, as close to a king of Westeros as one can be without ever sitting the iron throne.

*Be aware, 1, 2, and 3 are unrelated to each other. However, there is one combination of answers in which none of the people are genetically related to the others.

If you have any other questions like this feel free to post them and I'll add them here.

40 minutes ago, Aegon VII said:

1:

I come from one of the oldest, most prestigious houses in Westeros. As a young child, my house was brought to near destruction after being betrayed by our bannermen during war. After this betrayal, my brother and I were forced to leave our home in secret and escape the realm, while being hunted down by our enemies. Since leaving the realm I have grown exponentially more powerful. I have prophetic dreams. Millions of former slaves are now free because of my work.   I am the heir to seven kingdoms. I will return to Westeros and take back what is mine.  

Dany

2:

I am a bastard, supposedly. I am a skilled warrior and a true leader of men. I rose to prominence in the Night’s Watch because my fat friend rigged the election.  The maester is blind and trusted my friend to count the votes.  My friend took advantage of the measter and cheated on the vote count to win the election for me.   My former brothers labeled me a traitor, however, I have arguably done more than anyone else in the realm in the fight against the others. I started a war with Ramsay to rescue my little sister from her marriage.  In general, my colors are red, white and black. Many readers would argue that I am barely alive at the end of ADWD, if that.  I am an oathbreaker and a deserter of the Night's Watch.  I am secretly in love with my little sister. Many highly intelligent people say we look alike because our faces remind them of a skateboard standing up on it end.   My best friend is a big white dog.  He rarely does what he's told and his fur is infested with fleas but I keep him around.  

Jon

*Be aware, 1 and 2 are unrelated to each other, I just didn't think they each deserved their own thread so y'all get two for the price of one.

2 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

1:

I come from one of the oldest, most prestigious houses in Westeros.

SNIP

2:

I am a bastard, supposedly.

SNIP

*Be aware, 1 and 2 are unrelated to each other, I just didn't think they each deserved their own thread so y'all get two for the price of one.

Ooo!

A trick question!

I give up!

Wow, fun puzzle!

I still haven't decided on my guesses, but I'm starting to get some eliminating factors.

Of the four contenders mentioned so far, Jon, Dany, Bran and Bloodraven, it can't be any of them in combination.  They're all related to some degree.  I don't even have to get into a R+L=J explanation. Everyone one of them has Blackwood ancestry.

Bloodraven's mother was Missy Blackwood

Jon and Bran's Great-great Grandmother was was Melantha Blackwood (and there may or may not be some more Blackwood genes mixed in from Cregan's daughters)

Danny's Great-Grandmother was Betha Blackwood.

So one of those four could answer one of the questions, but two of them together won't work.

Does "related" really mean in terms of family? I thought the OP just meant there are two separate questions.

Bran hasn't left Westeros, so he doesn't make sense for #1 unless the OP meant "the Seven Kingdoms". Everything else fits, including the "cup or two", assuming it means weirwood/Jojen paste.

I'd go with Bloodraven for #2, too. I'm not sure about the traitor part, though. "Former brothers" could mean the Night's Watch or people like Aegor, but I don't remember anything he did that they would call betrayal.

Daenerys and Jon are the red herring answers. Don't fall for it!

4 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

So one of those four could answer one of the questions, but two of them together won't work.

To clarify, I just meant that the questions were unrelated. However, your interpretation actually makes it way better, as there is a combination of characters that fits. And these two people aren't related AT ALL to my knowledge.

#1 is Daenerys but the clue is misleading because it contains factually incorrect information.

The Targaryens are emphatically NOT one of the "oldest, most prestigious" houses of Westeros.  They are one of the youngest, in fact, having only been around for ~500 years or so.  Compare that to the 8,000 year old Stark or Hightower lines, or the Lannisters and Arryns, who also trace their lineage back thousands of years.  It also can't be Bran, because his visions don't come "after a cup".  He eats a bowl of weirwood paste, but that's it.

And if #2 is Mance, it also is filled with bad assumptions and facts.  He was never prominent in the Night's Watch, and he isn't associated with the color white.

Fun game, bad questions.

22 hours ago, The_Red_Viper_of_Dorne said:

2 is definitely Bloodraven. He was born a bastard but was later legitimized, hence the "supposedly". Red, black and white are the colors of House Blackwood (and red and black are the colors of House Targaryen).

But Jon is supposedly a bastard, and very much identifies with the white and red of ghost and weirwoods, as well as the black of the NW, so I'm not sure it's DEFINITElY BR. And as others have pointed out, him being labelled a traitor isn't explicit in the books. But between BR deserting the NW, and killing other relatives (both in war and through the false promise of safe conduct), I have to think at least one brother felt betrayed!

14 hours ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

Rhaegar is alive

Not sure what you mean

1 hour ago, cpg2016 said:

#1 is Daenerys but the clue is misleading because it contains factually incorrect information.

The Targaryens are emphatically NOT one of the "oldest, most prestigious" houses of Westeros.  

Houses in westeros

They are one of the youngest, in fact, having only been around for ~500 years or so.  Compare that to the 8,000 year old Stark or Hightower lines, or the Lannisters and Arryns, who also trace their lineage back thousands of years.

The targs founded dragonstone around 326 bc so that's already over 600. I'll assume you're 500 years or so was in reference to this? You could say they were not a "house" when they were in Valeria but i disagree in this context. We're talking about how far back their lineage goes, even if they are called a family rather than a house in valaryia, There is no difference in this case.

Do we have any more definite info about when the targs were established in valaryia? Or is it just sometime between circa 8000bc to 326bc? They were an established, albeit minor, family when they came to westeros so we have to think they had been around for a decently long amount of time before 326bc. Sure it may not compare with some of the northerners, but I don't think anyone would correct dany if she claimed house targaryen was one of the oldest and prestigious houses in westeros. You can replace "house" with "family" if that helps.

It also can't be Bran, because his visions don't come "after a cup".  He eats a bowl of weirwood paste, but that's it.

Cup and bowl are synonyms.. Haven't you ever asked for soup?

And if #2 is Mance, it also is filled with bad assumptions and facts.  He was never prominent in the Night's Watch, and he isn't associated with the color white.

He is regarded by Qhorin as having been the best of them, and he said they all knew him. Mance's tent is white and Val wears all white. The tent should not be dismissed.

Btw, So far no one has listed the combination I had in mind that aren't related AT ALL.

The targs founded dragonstone around 326 bc so that's already over 600. I'll assume you're 500 years or so was in reference to this? You could say they were not a "house" when they were in Valeria but i disagree in this context. We're talking about how far back their lineage goes, even if they are called a family rather than a house in valaryia, There is no difference in this case.

Again, wrong.  They move there 126 BC, not 326.  I was being generous to you and rounding up when I said 500 years.

And you very specifically said "Houses in Westeros".  Whether the Targaryens as a House existed in Valria for 8 years or 8,000, they weren't in Westeros.  Lineage in Westeros is not the same as lineage in Essos, not when you specify that it's a Westerosi House.

They were an established, albeit minor, family when they came to westeros so we have to think they had been around for a decently long amount of time before 326bc.

They were an extremely important family.  One of the Forty Families that effectively ruled the Freehold.  That they were a minor one of these still puts them in the very tippy top upper echelon of importance in the world.

Sure it may not compare with some of the northerners, but I don't think anyone would correct dany if she claimed house targaryen was one of the oldest and prestigious houses in westeros. You can replace "house" with "family" if that helps.

Wouldn't help, you'd still be wrong by an order of magnitude.  Again, Westerosi houses go back thousands of years.  The Targaryen presence in Westeros goes back 500.  When Tyrion sets foot in Volantis, that doesn't make House Lannister one of the oldest Volantene families; his line may stretch back for millenia but his time in Volantis is only a couple days.

Cup and bowl are synonyms.. Haven't you ever asked for soup?

This is absurd.  The common meaning of a cup is something you drink a beverage out of.  The common meaning for a bowl is something you eat food out of.  Before you were too specific, and now you're too vague.  Why not say a lake?  Haven't you ever had a sip of water from a lake or a pond?  What makes that any different than a cup or a bowl, if the only criteria is "is it physically possible to interpret this clue in a specific way"?

He is regarded by Qhorin as having been the best of them, and he said they all knew him. Mance's tent is white and Val wears all white. The tent should not be dismissed.

Again, learn your words.  The "best" and "highest" are not the same.  You said, specifically, that he rose high.  Which means a position of influence, not just a great set of skills.  Cotter Pyke is a bastard who has risen high.  Mance was a bastard who was good at his job.  There is a major difference.

Here are some better examples that are factually correct: 

1- I belong to one of the wealthiest Houses of Westeros, and I served as Hand of the King. While Hand, I schemed to make my daughter Queen, and eventually I succeeded.  Despite this, the claim of my grandson for the Iron Throne was disputed, and plunged the Seven Kingdoms into a devastating civil war when I crowned my grandson in defiance of the King’s last will and testament.  Though I died in the ensuing conflict, at least I lived long enough to see my daughter a queen and her son a king.  Who am I?

2 - My possible half-brother was a powerful lord and a great warrior and military prodigy.  Despite any jealousy or misgivings I might have had about not inheriting his seat, I was loyal to him throughout all my days, and eventually rose to a position of high authority myself.  Though I will never sit a throne, I have royal blood in my veins and royal blood on my hands, as I crushed a mighty host of a foreign king as part of my service, and my blood will one day sit a throne.  While I spent several months a captive, I eventually returned home to take up authority once more, and continued my loyal service despite my bitterness at my treatment.  Who am I?

Archived