[Spoilers] Samwell's book

RTLSJS

Hi all,

This is my first time posting so please forgive me if this has previously been shared (I can't see it). I thought this might be of interest to some, it's the passage taken from the book Sam is reading - before the page with the map of dragonstone, there is the page with Littlefinger's dagger used to try to kill Bran in Season 1:

------------

The Valyrians were familiar with dragonglass long before they came to Westeros. They called it zirfyl perzyll, which translates to "frozen fire" in Valyrian, and eastern (?) texts tell of how their dragons would thaw the stone with dragonflame until it became malleable. The Valyrians then used it to build their strange monuments and buildings without seams and joins of our modern castles.

When Aegon the Conqueror forged his Seven Kingdoms, he and his descendants would often decorate their blades with dragonglass, feeling a kinship with the glass. The royal fashion for dragonglass ornamentation soon spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms to those wealthy enough to afford it. Hilts and pommels were and are the most common decoration, for dragonglass is too brittle to make a useful crossguard (?). Indeed, its very brittleness is what relegates it to the great houses and most successful merchants.

------------

Seems interesting based on the fact the Children has dragonglass so long ago (whenever the Night's King was made) and the NW found some buried.

Did anyone catch the Samwell line about Valyrian swords decorated with dragon breath, or did I not hear that correctly? Is it breathe or obsidian in the decoration?

My theory is that actual dragon breath (that is fire) tempers the Valyrian steel that can kill the Others, but dragon glass, (that is perhaps plentiful on Dragontone because of all those dragons that lived, breathed, melted stone, and died on the island) kills the wights. Also, the dragons can kill pretty much anything. 

Archived