[Spoilers] Will Arya honor guestright?

Hey guys, long time no see, but last episode made me think, as Arya encountered the bunch of Lannister soldiers with Ol' Ginger Guy singing, she first checks their weapons and looks like a wild killing spree will start, but we see her realizing they are humans as well, and later even eating from their rabbit, so what do you think, will she honor guestright as a true Stark or is her hatred for the Lannisters still too deep to leave them be?

What I took from that scene is that Arya's humanity is returning. So I don't think she will harm these soldiers (unless they try to hurt her, which seems unlikely).

Since she became Arya Stark again (rather than No-one) last season (after watching the play about her father and sister she tried to save Lady Crane and now she is laughing with people around a campfire. Yes, she killed the Freys but they had killed her mother and brother whilst breaking Guest Right so they pretty much deserved it.

It seems like Arya checked out their weapons when she arrived. Additionally she refused the offer to eat and drink i.e. being their guest.

Then she accepted the food and laughed with them. She will accept the guest right.

Yeah, I'm hopeful that she realized they were humans and she won't end up killing them, because that would be real dark.  I understand this is a dark series, but I would think Arya's arc will be to realize her "Starkness" or humanity again before going too far and really becoming "no one."

I think this scene was to show us that while Arya may be taking some of LSH's plot role she will not become the tragic monstrosity that Catelyn did.  It may be that the writers needed someone to kill the Freys since they werent doing LSH or Wyman Manderly or book Stannis, but wanted to make sure the audience knew that person would be okay and not an inhuman pyscopath.

I'd find it interesting if Arya eventually had a scene where she stood in judgment over Jaime and Brienne.

There were so many references of guest right in this episode....

1) Arya/Walder Frey and the remaining Freys getting payback for the Red Wedding (the worst guest right violation in Westeros history that we've seen).

2) Arya and the Lannister soldiers - she hesitated to take their meat because they were Lannister soldiers, then she accepted food and wine from them. I'm guessing she won't kill them now because she'd be a hypocrite right?

3) The Hound and the dead father/daughter - The Hound and Arya were invited into their home for shelter and rabbit stew. He ended up stealing from them, taking all their silver, which eventually led to their death from starvation.  His redemption arc began and he felt guilty, deciding to bury them. Or should I say "digging their graves" ;)

3 hours ago, VenezuelanLord said:

i dont think that Arya will kill the soldiers, i think it will be nymeria's pack, or nymeria herself.. 

Sigh. I think you're probably right.

So I say yes, she will honour the guest right; but sadly they seem doomed. Some of them anyway. 

Okay, did anyone else feel it was sinister when that scene included a innocent remark about the importance of being kind to a stranger?

My hair stood up at that. Everything was going so well until that red flag. It was subtle, that easy comment. It might have been a perfectly natural soldier's saying that after all the fighting, it's a relief to be hospitable to a random person who offers no threat. It's what we would say. It's how we might put it. It's a classic theme in fairy tales. 

But, to me, it seemed that he'd made an accidental reference to the Westerosi seventh god, the one they never talk about.

The Stranger = Death. I believe that won't end well. Did anybody else hear that as a coded warning?

(By the way, I want to be wrong about that, I really do.)

Yeah you could see her face when she heard that guy say that his mother had told him to be kind to strangers. I think she knew she wasn't gonna kill them then and that's why she ate the rabbit. You saw that she was trying not to take anything from them because it would have meant she had guest right and one of the things she killed those freys for was for breaking guest right.

I disagree. I think the fire we saw Arya sitting by in the first official season trailer on her own is the same fire the Lannister soldiers had.

So either:

a) the lannister soldiers depart but arya stays

b something frightens the soldiers off but not Arya

c) Arya kills the soldiers

d) Something else (eg Nymeria and wolf pack) kills the soldiers but not Arya

20 hours ago, Lisula said:

Sigh. I think you're probably right.

So I say yes, she will honour the guest right; but sadly they seem doomed. Some of them anyway. 

Okay, did anyone else feel it was sinister when that scene included a innocent remark about the importance of being kind to a stranger?

My hair stood up at that. Everything was going so well until that red flag. It was subtle, that easy comment. It might have been a perfectly natural soldier's saying that after all the fighting, it's a relief to be hospitable to a random person who offers no threat. It's what we would say. It's how we might put it. It's a classic theme in fairy tales. 

But, to me, it seemed that he'd made an accidental reference to the Westerosi seventh god, the one they never talk about.

The Stranger = Death. I believe that won't end well. Did anybody else hear that as a coded warning?

(By the way, I want to be wrong about that, I really do.)

Yes! I know on this forum we've compared the different Stark's to the seven gods, and Arya would clearly be the Stranger since she brings death and obviously the whole FM training.  When I heard that, my mind went "oh shit!"

19 hours ago, The Knight of Flours said:

I'm hoping the talk about family from these Lannister boys makes Arya realise she needs to head north not south.

I hope so too. I think if Arya goes after Cercei she will die. I think the only person who will succeed in killing Cercei is the one person she trusts, Jaime. Arya's killing talents will be wasted if she remains too insistent on her revenge killings.

I think Arya respects the Gods, especially since she uses the secret knowledge of the many faced god. So if she is written true to her character, she will honor guest right. But I have a foreboding notion of young Lanister soiders floating down a river and Arya seeing them. someone or something will kill them very soon regardless of what Arya does.

Archived