Anyone else like euron?

snow is the man

9 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I hated him last season because he just seemed like a drunk psycho. Now he seemed different and cool. Yes he is still very different then he is in the books but I like him so far this season. Anyone else think this

He's definitely a charismatic villain on the show.  I like how he kept throwing little jabs in at Jamie in the latest episode.  I do think that we are about to get some psycho stuff from Euron this season.  He's a pretty demented guy.  All those years at sea has definitely messed with his head.  He is a sociopath for sure.  I'm excited to see what the does next...

I thought they completely rehabilitated him with just that one scene in the premiere, which was especially good to see because the show has lacked interesting and dynamic villains lately. The WWs and Cersei are too one-dimensional and straightforward to be the only end-game villains.

He's basically Ramsey reincarnated. The writers do not know how to write other villains, so they rehash the same tropes. Joffrey was a sniveling little shit. Ramsey was a sniveling little shit with super powers. Euron seems like a sniveling little shit who can build an entire armada out of phantom wood.

I wish they would have made him more mysterious like in the books. Subtle people can be evil too. Instead, he is another over-the-top alpha male who is more comic than evil.

19 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

He's basically Ramsey reincarnated. The writers do not know how to write other villains, so they rehash the same tropes. Joffrey was a sniveling little shit. Ramsey was a sniveling little shit with super powers. Euron seems like a sniveling little shit who can build an entire armada out of phantom wood.

I wish they would have made him more mysterious like in the books. Subtle people can be evil too. Instead, he is another over-the-top alpha male who is more comic than evil.

I wouldn't say Euron is "mysterious" in the books at all.  You get a pretty good idea of what he is about.  He's a pretty sick individual in the books.  You get a good idea of that.  He's a sociopath, an addict, a rapist and molester.  He's a kingslayer, a kinslayer and al around bad guy.  My thinking is that the show just did not have a way to truly build up Euron the way he probably deserved, which leads me to think he may not have that huge of an impact on the show other than glorified role player.  I guess we'll see where they take his character from here...

36 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Stark said:

I wouldn't say Euron is "mysterious" in the books at all.  You get a pretty good idea of what he is about.  He's a pretty sick individual in the books.  You get a good idea of that.  He's a sociopath, an addict, a rapist and molester.  He's a kingslayer, a kinslayer and al around bad guy.  My thinking is that the show just did not have a way to truly build up Euron the way he probably deserved, which leads me to think he may not have that huge of an impact on the show other than glorified role player.  I guess we'll see where they take his character from here...

Spoiler

Yeah, from what leaks have shown, he kills some of the sand snakes and kidnaps Asha.

I fear they are going to have him be so extreme with his killings very similar to Ramsey. Eventually it just wears thin. I can only see so many casual, shocking deaths before I roll my eyes. 

Similar to the Walking Dead. By the time Neegan rolled around, I was just immune to the "total bad ass" bad guy.

I know you get an idea of what Euron is about in the books, but he doesn't brag about killing his brother in the books. He is more subtle and manipulative. He definitely is dark and twisted in the books, but the show makes him more like your typical B-movie villain with over-the-top lines that just fall flat for me. He's the type of guy Arnold Schwarzenegger would throw a steam pipe through (Commando reference) before uttering a cheesy line.

33 minutes ago, SuperMario said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, from what leaks have shown, he kills some of the sand snakes and kidnaps Asha.

I fear they are going to have him be so extreme with his killings very similar to Ramsey. Eventually it just wears thin. I can only see so many casual, shocking deaths before I roll my eyes. 

Similar to the Walking Dead. By the time Neegan rolled around, I was just immune to the "total bad ass" bad guy.

I know you get an idea of what Euron is about in the books, but he doesn't brag about killing his brother in the books. He is more subtle and manipulative. He definitely is dark and twisted in the books, but the show makes him more like your typical B-movie villain with over-the-top lines that just fall flat for me. He's the type of guy Arnold Schwarzenegger would throw a steam pipe through (Commando reference) before uttering a cheesy line.

I can agree with this.  And I like the Walking Dead reference.  Much like the Governor had me burned out by the time we got to Neegan.  I would like to have seen Euron at least look more the part of his appearance in the books.  That would have given him the mysterious appeal you are looking for, at least visually.  Darker haired, patch covering his black eye, lips bluish/black from the drinking shade-of-the-evening, etc. His appearance on the show, especially his season 7 look, does nothing for me.  You've convinced me, not a fan of show Euron now... lol

6 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Stark said:

I can agree with this.  And I like the Walking Dead reference.  Much like the Governor had me burned out by the time we got to Neegan.  I would like to have seen Euron at least look more the part of his appearance in the books.  That would have given him the mysterious appeal you are looking for, at least visually.  Darker haired, patch covering his black eye, lips bluish/black from the drinking shade-of-the-evening, etc. His appearance on the show, especially his season 7 look, does nothing for me.  You've convinced me, not a fan of show Euron now... lol

Haha. :lol: Though, if he does happen to kill the people mentioned in my above leaked spoiler, then he may move up a few notches in my book. :D

Euron was much, much improved over last year, both in the performance, the vibe and the costume.

That said, he's appears to be a slightly different version of Ramsay....a joke cracking, kin slaying killer.  So, while this is better than the absolutely flat, unscary, uncharismatic, badly costumed Euron of last year...it's still more of the same.  

27 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Euron was much, much improved over last year, both in the performance, the vibe and the costume.

That said, he's appears to be a slightly different version of Ramsay....a joke cracking, kin slaying killer.  So, while this is better than the absolutely flat, unscary, uncharismatic, badly costumed Euron of last year...it's still more of the same.  

He definitely hit the gym, so much less puffy and unscary. And who doesn't love a psycho generic villain in leather hot pants and eye linter? I found his dialogue still cringe inducing but I way prefer this new Euron lol.

Just now, SerProle said:

He definitely hit the gym, so much less puffy and unscary. And who doesn't love a psycho generic villain in leather hot pants and eye linter? I found his dialogue still cringe inducing but I way prefer this new Euron lol.

He did have a couple of good lines, 'two hands' was a good line, the ongoing trolling of Jamie while he was standing in front of him was fairly well done.  Punk rocker Euron is at least watchable, unlike dowdy pudgy Euron from last year.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He did have a couple of good lines, 'two hands' was a good line, the ongoing trolling of Jamie while he was standing in front of him was fairly well done.  Punk rocker Euron is at least watchable, unlike dowdy pudgy Euron from last year.

Yeah, his lines were better this episode, I was happy not to hear about his huge cock again, but I'm sure we will soon. The hands comment just made me question again, how does he know about Jaime's hand? How do these characters randomly seem to know things they shouldn't know? 

Just now, SerProle said:

Yeah, his lines were better this episode, I was happy not to hear about his huge cock again, but I'm sure we will soon. The hands comment just made me question again, how does he know about Jaime's hand? How do these characters randomly seem to know things they shouldn't know? 

You can take that to the bank.  

51 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Haha. :lol: Though, if he does happen to kill the people mentioned in my above leaked spoiler, then he may move up a few notches in my book. :D

Yeah, it has potential if it happens.  I've read some accounts that those events are pretty brutal in themselves, which could make them palatable.  I'm not going to lie, D&D are doing a good job of keeping me tuned in and waiting for more...

Weird, it didn't even occur to me that Euron was so similar to Ramsay. I guess that's my bias for pirates, plus letting his book counterpart bleed more into showEuron than D&D have. But where he's similar to Ramsay, I still think he's an improvement across the board, and he brings elements that Ramsay lacked. I can't imagine him showing any charisma with Cersei like Euron did. Whereas Ramsay seemed like he'd be content just torturing people in Winterfell for the rest of his life, Euron has ambition that threatens all of Westeros. Ramsay was basically just a stationary figure, but Euron's massive fleet and maniacal nature gives a sense that he could strike anywhere at any time. And while D&D may not do anything with it, there's at least the mystique of Euron having traveled the known world, whereas I never even cared to wonder about Ramsay's life experiences.

But with D&D, it won't surprise me if Euron just ends up being little more than Cersei's tool.

1 hour ago, cade said:

Weird, it didn't even occur to me that Euron was so similar to Ramsay. I guess that's my bias for pirates, plus letting his book counterpart bleed more into showEuron than D&D have. But where he's similar to Ramsay, I still think he's an improvement across the board, and he brings elements that Ramsay lacked. I can't imagine him showing any charisma with Cersei like Euron did. Whereas Ramsay seemed like he'd be content just torturing people in Winterfell for the rest of his life, Euron has ambition that threatens all of Westeros. Ramsay was basically just a stationary figure, but Euron's massive fleet and maniacal nature gives a sense that he could strike anywhere at any time. And while D&D may not do anything with it, there's at least the mystique of Euron having traveled the known world, whereas I never even cared to wonder about Ramsay's life experiences.

But with D&D, it won't surprise me if Euron just ends up being little more than Cersei's tool.

I think the show will definitely waste the potential that Euron could hold.  My guess is he is just a glorified lackey.  Unless of course, he is going to end up being the surprise antagonist after Cersei is killed and the NK is gone.  It could happen right? 

2 hours ago, SerProle said:

Why wouldn't he know about Jamie's hand?  You think it some big secret that the Kingslayer lost his sword hand?  Not to mention the fact that he is the same room as him and all you have to look at him to see that he only has one good hand.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Why wouldn't he know about Jamie's hand?  You think it some big secret that the Kingslayer lost his sword hand?  Not to mention the fact that he is the same room as him and all you have to look at him to see that he only has one good hand.

Exactly. lol Gossip travels in Westeros just like the real world...

Archived