Where is the love?

59 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

But that's the thing. This isn't the kind of series that follows such a trivial and predictable formula. Who didn't think that the Robb-Joffrey quarrel back in AGoT was setting up some sort of future clash between these two? But they never met again. Who did expect that Tyrion and not some Stark (or Martell) would kill Tywin? Who did expect that the Tyrells would kill Joffrey? Who did expect that literally nothing would come of the clansmen-Tyrion hookup?

Things are more complicated than that.

Well, Sandor certainly influenced Sansa's developing romantic and sexual preferences. Yet that doesn't mean she will turn out to be really into him but rather men like him. Sandor on the other hand seems to be pretty over this Sansa thing which for him most likely was more a symbol of the innocent boy he himself once was than an actual deep-seated love. And in that sense Sandor is essentially a mirror image of Littlefinger. Gregor destroyed innocent/idealistic Sandor and Brandon/Catelyn destroyed innocent/idealistic Petyr. Both men desire Sansa sexually, of course, but what makes her special and really resonates with them is the innocence and idealism thing she embodies and represents.

But in Sandor's case we can hope he is over all that now. He has found some sort of peace on the Quiet Isle and one hopes for him that he is going to have a different and new agenda once he returns to the world. My personal guess is that he is going to become an anointed knight, after all, joining the ranks of the Warrior's Sons. The Seven saved and forgave him the guise of the Elder Brother, after all, and one assumes that's going to set him on a completely different path.

I'm not sure how Sansa could figure into that just as I don't see how Sandor could figure into her life.

Perhaps if they all end up meeting again at Aegon's court something could develop? It could be interesting to see how they would interact when they met each other again after so much time passed.

This could also be interesting with Arya-Gendry, of course. But unlike those shippers I'm pretty sure that would be a very sobering experience on both sides. Gendry most certainly is having affairs and romances with the many girls and young women that are part of the brotherhood. And Arya will be a trained and experienced assassin with powerful magical abilities. From her perspective her old world, Winterfell included, must look very small and insignificant. It may remain her home, of course, but she will have outgrown it.

While GRR Martin has proven to be brilliant when it comes to ‘plant and pay off’, he’s also proven to be equally brilliant at planting and not paying off at all, and the example you use about Robb and Joffrey is perfect. From the moment they meet you feel as if it’s only a matter of time before Robb is the one to come chop Joff’s head off and save Sansa. But they never meet again and Joffrey is killed by the Tyrells of all people.

Right now Arya has no ambition for love. Her actions are literally sending her in the opposite direction from love. She loved and she lost and now she is becoming a cold blooded murderer. No man would want her and she would want no man.

As you suggest, Gendry has likely bedded his fair share of women on the road, so I can’t imagine him to be spending his nights pining over a little girl that he knew briefly and was never depicted as being aesthetically pleasing. I think with the allusions to her resemblance to Lyanna that may change and she may become beautiful on the outside one day, but her current actions are far from befitting of an attractive love interest.

When and if she meets Gendry again they are both going to be very different from the last time they saw each other. I would be surprised if Gendry never was to find out that he is Robert’s bastard. As he ages, surely he will grow to look even more like him. So if they ever do meet again, who knows what Gendry could have become? Maybe he is now an accomplished knight who knows despite being from the gutter, that he is the son of King Robert and fancies himself as a figure of importance  maybe more important than a girl born of House Stark – a house that seems to be hanging on by a thread.

As for Sansa and Sandor, I agree with many people that she may not be as keen on a conventional knight in shining armour as she no longer believes they exist. But the idea she will somehow end up with Sandor is flawed. Sansa has shown she can soften towards people she feared; she hated Tyrion when they married but managed to realise he wasn’t the worst of the Lannisters. That didn’t cause her to want to stay married to him, though.

She’s shown in her time spent with Littlefinger that she is not the stupid girl Cersei said she was. She has learned tricks from Cersei and tricks from Petyr, so can anyone truly imagine one of those tricks she would learn would be to fall for Sandor Clegane? She may soften her stance towards him and if they ever meet again, she may treat him with more respect than most would. But engage in a relationship with him? Not a chance, in my eyes.

I think she is training herself so she can play the game of thrones. Picking a relationship with someone like Sandor Clegane wouldn’t get her very far in that respect.

Even the whole Jon/Dany ship has it's flaws. It's easy to assume as they are two major male and female characters who both may end up having claiming to the throne that they may one day meet and fall in love. But I really don't think it is as simple as some think that it may be.

Some of the most basic reasons for me, would be that Jon doesn't fit her 'type'. Drogo was a strong forceful leader of a Khal. Daario is a fierce fighter, but also silver tongued, confident and as much of an extrovert as you'll find. Jon is a strong leader, but a reluctant one that falls into leadership by others pushing him. He is a skilled fighter, but he is solemn and melancholy. And he definitely isn't as colourful to look at as Drogo or Daario would be. To me, personality wise and looks wise he is more akin to Jorah than Drogo or Daario and Dany showed no interest in him despite his love for her.

On the opposite view, Dany is clearly one of the most beautiful women in the world and it would be a surprise if Jon wasn't attracted to her. But Ygritte wasn't a beautiful girl. In fact it seemed to be her imperfections that Jon was most attracted to.

That's not even going into the whole Dany could Jon's aunt and he could be her nephew section of the debate.

59 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

But that's the thing. This isn't the kind of series that follows such a trivial and predictable formula. Who didn't think that the Robb-Joffrey quarrel back in AGoT was setting up some sort of future clash between these two? But they never met again. Who did expect that Tyrion and not some Stark (or Martell) would kill Tywin? Who did expect that the Tyrells would kill Joffrey? Who did expect that literally nothing would come of the clansmen-Tyrion hookup?

Things are more complicated than that.

Well, Sandor certainly influenced Sansa's developing romantic and sexual preferences. Yet that doesn't mean she will turn out to be really into him but rather men like him. Sandor on the other hand seems to be pretty over this Sansa thing which for him most likely was more a symbol of the innocent boy he himself once was than an actual deep-seated love. And in that sense Sandor is essentially a mirror image of Littlefinger. Gregor destroyed innocent/idealistic Sandor and Brandon/Catelyn destroyed innocent/idealistic Petyr. Both men desire Sansa sexually, of course, but what makes her special and really resonates with them is the innocence and idealism thing she embodies and represents.

But in Sandor's case we can hope he is over all that now. He has found some sort of peace on the Quiet Isle and one hopes for him that he is going to have a different and new agenda once he returns to the world. My personal guess is that he is going to become an anointed knight, after all, joining the ranks of the Warrior's Sons. The Seven saved and forgave him the guise of the Elder Brother, after all, and one assumes that's going to set him on a completely different path.

I'm not sure how Sansa could figure into that just as I don't see how Sandor could figure into her life.

Perhaps if they all end up meeting again at Aegon's court something could develop? It could be interesting to see how they would interact when they met each other again after so much time passed.

This could also be interesting with Arya-Gendry, of course. But unlike those shippers I'm pretty sure that would be a very sobering experience on both sides. Gendry most certainly is having affairs and romances with the many girls and young women that are part of the brotherhood. And Arya will be a trained and experienced assassin with powerful magical abilities. From her perspective her old world, Winterfell included, must look very small and insignificant. It may remain her home, of course, but she will have outgrown it.

While GRR Martin has proven to be brilliant when it comes to ‘plant and pay off’, he’s also proven to be equally brilliant at planting and not paying off at all, and the example you use about Robb and Joffrey is perfect. From the moment they meet you feel as if it’s only a matter of time before Robb is the one to come chop Joff’s head off and save Sansa. But they never meet again and Joffrey is killed by the Tyrells of all people.

Right now Arya has no ambition for love. Her actions are literally sending her in the opposite direction from love. She loved and she lost and now she is becoming a cold blooded murderer. No man would want her and she would want no man.

As you suggest, Gendry has likely bedded his fair share of women on the road, so I can’t imagine him to be spending his nights pining over a little girl that he knew briefly and was never depicted as being aesthetically pleasing. I think with the allusions to her resemblance to Lyanna that may change and she may become beautiful on the outside one day, but her current actions are far from befitting of an attractive love interest.

When and if she meets Gendry again they are both going to be very different from the last time they saw each other. I would be surprised if Gendry never was to find out that he is Robert’s bastard. As he ages, surely he will grow to look even more like him. So if they ever do meet again, who knows what Gendry could have become? Maybe he is now an accomplished knight who knows despite being from the gutter, that he is the son of King Robert and fancies himself as a figure of importance  maybe more important than a girl born of House Stark – a house that seems to be hanging on by a thread.

As for Sansa and Sandor, I agree with many people that she may not be as keen on a conventional knight in shining armour as she no longer believes they exist. But the idea she will somehow end up with Sandor is flawed. Sansa has shown she can soften towards people she feared; she hated Tyrion when they married but managed to realise he wasn’t the worst of the Lannisters. That didn’t cause her to want to stay married to him, though.

She’s shown in her time spent with Littlefinger that she is not the stupid girl Cersei said she was. She has learned tricks from Cersei and tricks from Petyr, so can anyone truly imagine one of those tricks she would learn would be to fall for Sandor Clegane? She may soften her stance towards him and if they ever meet again, she may treat him with more respect than most would. But engage in a relationship with him? Not a chance, in my eyes.

I think she is training herself so she can play the game of thrones. Picking a relationship with someone like Sandor Clegane wouldn’t get her very far in that respect.

Even the whole Jon/Dany ship has it's flaws. It's easy to assume as they are two major male and female characters who both may end up having claiming to the throne that they may one day meet and fall in love. But I really don't think it is as simple as some think that it may be.

Some of the most basic reasons for me, would be that Jon doesn't fit her 'type'. Drogo was a strong forceful leader of a Khal. Daario is a fierce fighter, but also silver tongued, confident and as much of an extrovert as you'll find. Jon is a strong leader, but a reluctant one that falls into leadership by others pushing him. He is a skilled fighter, but he is solemn and melancholy. And he definitely isn't as colourful to look at as Drogo or Daario would be. To me, personality wise and looks wise he is more akin to Jorah than Drogo or Daario and Dany showed no interest in him despite his love for her.

On the opposite view, Dany is clearly one of the most beautiful women in the world and it would be a surprise if Jon wasn't attracted to her. But Ygritte wasn't a beautiful girl. In fact it seemed to be her imperfections that Jon was most attracted to.

That's not even going into the whole Dany could Jon's aunt and he could be her nephew section of the debate.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Can anyone who invests so much time and effort looking for clues that might foreshadow some sort of relationship between this or that character explain to me why he or she thinks this should actually happen? Most of the actual romances in the books (Robb-Jeyne, Dany-Daario, Jon-Ygritte, Tyrion-Tysha, Tyrion-Shae, etc.) come out of nowhere and not foreshadowed by anything in the books. Why then should Arya-Gendry or Sandor-Sansa spending time together and perhaps feeling some sort of attraction to each other result in them ever having a relationship?

And why shouldn't they? Maybe you need to answer that.

And besides, the people looking for clues about what might happen with regard to future relationships, aren't the only ones are doing that now are they?

Certainly you wouldn't do that?

And what would the point of those two relationships in relation to the overall plot?

Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because people are interested in the human development of these characters. Maybe some people are more interested in things other than boobs and dragons.

A I can hardly imagine anything more boring than chapters dealing with an Arya-Gendry relationship. It wouldn't exactly allow her to be relevant in relation to the important overall plot. 

Well, if you don't find it interesting, nobody else should either then. Case closed, it would seem.

And the very idea of Sansa ever having sex with a drunken and ugly brute like Sandor is disgusting for me. The man might want to be gentle, etc. but he can't. That much is clear from his entire attitude. People like him want to be saved, want to be nice, etc. but they want to hurt the people they desire even more. Because it would be a weakness to admit that they need other people.

Anyway, with regard to Sandor, the Elder Brother said the Hound is dead. But, maybe that isn't credible because he didn't say,"The Hound is dead guys. No I really mean it? No seriously, guys, I really, really, mean it!"

But, it's good to know some people are on speed dial, just in case the ladies of Westeros need relationship advice.

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

It is not just that. Arya also made it pretty clear that she doesn't want to marry and have children. All the way back in AGoT in that conversation with Ned, and that was before all her traumatic experiences. Now, okay, perhaps this means nothing but I don't think it does. And, sure, she could still have affairs but somehow I doubt she will be very much interested in those, either.

Arya is basically the kind of character that has been born in the wrong century/world. She has little to no chance to become happy in the society she lives in.

Lyanna isn't Arya. Lyanna had no perfect sister who would always outshine her. And she is much older when we first meet her. Arya may get around to become twelve in the series, but I'm not holding my breath for a thirteen-year-old Arya in the books.

If she and Gendry met each other again with her being 14-16 or so I could imagine something going on but not this early.

And even if Arya grew up as Lyanna the latter also seem to discover/care about love only when she did meet Rhaegar.

Yeah, but Arya will have moved on, too. She is going to enter spheres and do things the average (noble-)man of Westeros cannot even conceive. And quite honestly, right now Gendry is serving Arya's undead mother in her revenge scheme. I'm not sure anybody hooking up with him is going to help her a lot.

Yeah, it could be quite interesting though if Sansa ends up using Sandor as her champion in some fashion. But a romance seems to be out of the question.

She could have some sort of secret affair, one assumes. But I'm not sure she is going to be old enough for this kind of elaborate scheme.

For Dany-Jon we have the blue flower vision from the House of the Undying. The whole thing about it smelling sweet seems to suggest that some sort of actual romance is not unlikely. Without that we would only have the 'female lead and male lead fall in love' thing. In addition to the symmetry of another proper union between 'ice' and 'fire' and some sort of political alliance/union against the Others.

I'd say those are stronger hints that Gendry-Arya or Sandor-Sansa could ever hope to get. Prophecy and visions don't seem to care all that much about these guys.

Jorah is basically an ugly older man. He is not very attractive. Jon is in a completely different league. The first girl he meets in the story falls for him, and a lot of people seem to think that a woman as beautiful and confident as Val also is going to fall for him.

And chances are that dying and resurrecting is going do something to him. In addition, he got that cool eagle scar and earlier the burned hand. He would be pretty ideal for Daenerys considering that he should be also sort of her equal, unlike Drogo (who effectively owned Daenerys) and Daario (who cannot marry because of his low birth).

Vice versa, Daenerys would most definitely be Jon's type. She should be everyone's type considering that she is 'the fairest woman in the world'. And aside from that, he seems to prefer confident and independent women or at least get along with them.

Jon's hormones helped him to see beyond Ygritte's imperfections. You have that literally written into the story when Jon thinks about Ygritte's crooked teeth, realizing that they aren't that pretty but not caring. That's the voice of a guy who is in love. But it is not that Jon likes his women with crooked teeth.

That doesn't figure into a romance. For Jon it could be a problem that he is Dany's nephew if he knows that when he first meets her. But that might not be the case. And once they are in love and learn that Jon is a Targaryen (bastard) they sure as hell can marry. Aunt-nephew isn't that problematic an incestuous union. The Starks did that, too. And from TSotD we'll learn that the Faith definition of incest is parent-child and sibling-sibling. Not aunt/uncle-niece/nephew or first cousins. In fact, while most cultures and countries that have an incest taboo find cousin and uncle/aunt-niece/nephew marriage unusual/problematic, they are not exactly outlawed in all that many countries.

Just now, Lord Varys said:

he certainly wouldn't. He is not that kind of guy.

Just now, OldGimletEye said:

tainly you wouldn't do that?

Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because people are interested in the human development of these characters. Maybe some people are more interested in things other than boobs and dragons

indeed. Not some, but a vast majority in fact.

15 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Has this been mentioned yet? 

Ser Loras and Renly. That was love. The line that Loras gives is truly tear jerking. 

"When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."

I've mentioned them above somewhere. Although we don't know Renly's feelings. But it was clearly love for Loras.

22 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Honestly, why not? He is not celibate or anything.

13 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

He may not be having affairs right now, but I doubt that he will have one with Arya, either.  There is a 5 year age difference, plus significant class differences.  Arya may not care, but Gendry does.  I really don't see this pairing as being all that compatible.

11 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Can anyone who invests so much time and effort looking for clues that might foreshadow some sort of relationship between this or that character explain to me why he or she thinks this should actually happen? Most of the actual romances in the books (Robb-Jeyne, Dany-Daario, Jon-Ygritte, Tyrion-Tysha, Tyrion-Shae, etc.) come out of nowhere and not foreshadowed by anything in the books. Why then should Arya-Gendry or Sandor-Sansa spending time together and perhaps feeling some sort of attraction to each other result in them ever having a relationship?

Possible pairings that I can see becoming romances:

Arya:  Edric Dayne, Podrick Payne, Tyrek Lannister.  All are early teens, roughly Arya's age.  She has met Edric, and seemed to get along withhim quite well.  Had they been together longer, I could easily see something having developed.  They could easily meet again.  Podrick is someone she would regard as "safe".  Hell, she probably coud dominate him.  And he's with Brienne, who is interested in finding and helping Arya.  Tyrek may be hiding in Braavos.  If so, they could meet, with meither kowing who the other really is.  Fro the record, I do not believe that Arya will ever become a trained assassin.  But that's OT.

Jon:  Meera Reed, Wylla Manderly.  Val and Daenerys are already mentioned.  Meera and Wylla are very Arya-esque, which appeals to Jon.  Both are in the North.  Meera is with Bran, Jon's "brother", so a meeting is a definite possibility.  Wylla is a noted stark supporter.  If he becomes politically involved, either as King in the North, or leader against the Others, she could come into play.

Brienne:  Ser Hyle Hunt.  Stop. Laughing.  I admit it's a stretch, but he is one of the few men around who actually respects her ability and choice of profession.  

I can't think of anybody for Sansa.  I don't see her actually doing anything with Harrold Hardyng.  She is only with him on orders, and I don't see it advancing.  I don't think she likes him all that much.  I don't see Aegon as a possibility either.  I actually think she will keep Tyrion as a paper shield initially, and possibly join him in a political partnership later on.  Probably no real attraction, though.  .

That's all for now. 

31 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Has this been mentioned yet? 

Ser Loras and Renly. That was love. The line that Loras gives is truly tear jerking. 

"When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."

That is such a great line.       :wub:

Another one I love is when Jamie went back for Brienne and said "I dreamed of you."    :love:

Where is the love?  Flowing out of GRRM's pen onto the page.  

8 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

But, it's good to know some people are on speed dial, just in case the ladies of Westeros need relationship advice.

LOL!  Too bad iPhones don't exist in Westeros yet.  

8 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well, if you don't find it interesting, nobody else should either then. Case closed, it would seem.

Well that settles it; ASOIAF's greatest scenes are all about dragons and whores.  Silly me, why didn't I know that?

4 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I started a reread/listen a few weeks ago and just happened to come upon this part again yesterday. The story is filled with these little hints about Loras and Renly and it is very sweet: 

From time to time, King Renly would feed Margaery some choice morsel off the point of his dagger, or lean over to plant the lightest of kisses on her cheek, but it was Ser Loras who shared most of his jests and confidences.

Another one I love is when Jamie went back for Brienne and said "I dreamed of you."    :love:

Love it. 

Yeah, agreed. I am easily bored with strict political or war dramas. Sex, romance, and love are what makes it real... and me reading and rereading. 

Well that settles it; ASOIAF's greatest scenes are all about dragons and whores.  Silly me, why didn't I know that?

What? You didn't know the whole point of the story is to put everything back in place the way it was at the beginning of the series, well, before Robert's Rebellion to be sure. Change is a scary thing, so let's not change anything. 

7 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Arya:  Edric Dayne, Podrick Payne, Tyrek Lannister.  All are early teens, roughly Arya's age.  She has met Edric, and seemed to get along withhim quite well.  Had they been together longer, I could easily see something having developed.  They could easily meet again.  Podrick is someone she would regard as "safe".  Hell, she probably coud dominate him.  And he's with Brienne, who is interested in finding and helping Arya.  Tyrek may be hiding in Braavos.  If so, they could meet, with meither kowing who the other really is.  Fro the record, I do not believe that Arya will ever become a trained assassin.  But that's OT.

Edric Dayne is likely to show up again but I don't see how he and Arya could hook up again easily. And he seems to be far too shy and soft for Arya's taste. Arya is not likely going to grow into a woman who likes her men soft.

The whole point of my question here was to get a picture how such romances would figure into the overall story, not so much speculation who could meet who again. A lot of people can meet each other again. See my own example below.

Pod is more likely to get killed by Arya than becoming her friend/lover. His name is Payne, after all. Even if she could see beyond that he is even worse than Edric in the shyness department.

And Tyrek Lannister is most likely down below the Red Keep in some cell overseen by the little birds. Assuming he is still alive. There is no reason to believe he is in Braavos.

As to Arya: She already is a trained assassin. She already has all the necessary skills. Being able to change her face at will will be a nice bonus as would be learning how to use glamors and other spells but she already knows how to kill.

Jon:  Meera Reed, Wylla Manderly.  Val and Daenerys are already mentioned.  Meera and Wylla are very Arya-esque, which appeals to Jon.  Both are in the North.  Meera is with Bran, Jon's "brother", so a meeting is a definite possibility.  Wylla is a noted stark supporter.  If he becomes politically involved, either as King in the North, or leader against the Others, she could come into play.

If Meera gets a love interest of sorts it should be Bran, not Jon. Wylla Manderly is a great character but the relevant Manderly is the elder granddaughter of Lord Wyman, Wynafryd Manderly.

Brienne:  Ser Hyle Hunt.  Stop. Laughing.  I admit it's a stretch, but he is one of the few men around who actually respects her ability and choice of profession.  

Ser Hyle might thank Brienne for saving his life (assuming he does survive) but he is not the type of guy who falls in love with a woman like Brienne who also got half her face chewed off. He might still marry her but this wouldn't be 'love'. It would be some sort of loveless arrangement based on respect and friendship, perhaps.

I can't think of anybody for Sansa.  I don't see her actually doing anything with Harrold Hardyng.  She is only with him on orders, and I don't see it advancing.  I don't think she likes him all that much.  I don't see Aegon as a possibility either.  I actually think she will keep Tyrion as a paper shield initially, and possibly join him in a political partnership later on.  Probably no real attraction, though.

Well, Sansa doesn't have to fall in love with anyone to have sex with them, right? Considering that she is likely to enter the political arena in some sort of womanly way it is quite likely that she will have to flirt and seduce the men she intends to control. She won't have any other means to force them to do what she wants them to do. Especially not while she is legally a minor - which is going to remain for the remainder of the series, most likely. Even if she took the Iron Throne tomorrow she could still not legally rule in her own right. She would have a regent and a Protector of the Realm, and a Hand.

My own scenario is this Euron-Cersei thing that I'm pitching coherently since shortly after the publication of ADwD (and even more so since 'The Forsaken').

And the criteria I use to predict something like that are:

1. Connects major plot threads and characters in a way that leads the overall story in a new and potentially very exciting direction.

2. Comes as a reasonable surprise to most readers due to the fact that there is essentially only very little foreshadowing in that direction (there is some talk about a Cersei-Euron match after the man came back to Pyke in ASoS but it doesn't lead to anything).

3. It makes a lot of sense within the personal and political framework in the story. Cersei is finished in KL. She needs new allies. The Tyrells are her main enemies now - aside from the Faith, Aegon, and Dorne, of course -, and Euron is their enemy, too, showing is competence and power when he is going to crush the Redwyne fleet. Vice versa, Daenerys is not coming soon (and may even believed to be dead in Westeros) so Euron is going to need other allies, too. Without allies his campaign is quickly going to lose momentum.

Whether this is going to qualify as a proper romance/love and not just some political alliance remains to be seen. But I'm pretty sure both could really grow to like each other in their way. Cersei is still very beautiful and may yet be fertile, while Euron is pretty much everything a woman like Cersei could want in a man while she enacts her revenge.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

I've mentioned them above somewhere. Although we don't know Renly's feelings. But it was clearly love for Loras.

Honestly, why not? He is not celibate or anything.

He refused to sleep before with girls....so maybe because he is still in love with Arya and they will meet again before the ending.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

He may not be having affairs right now, but I doubt that he will have one with Arya, either.  There is a 5 year age difference, plus significant class differences.  Arya may not care, but Gendry does.  I really don't see this pairing as being all that compatible.

A 4-5 age year difference is not an impediment. Class differences, it's easier when one of both don't care about that, which is the case.

1 hour ago, Nasty LongRider said:

And it's conveniently written at the ending of a chapter:

A dozen quips came to mind, each crueler than the one before, but Jaime only shrugged. "I dreamed of you," he said. 

He is trying to invent an excuse, but, at the end, what matters is that he is sincere with her, because at the end, love is something that can't be hidden, because it speaks for our hearts, not our minds. He tells her the truth, he dreamed of her, and that dream made him go to her, but it has that double meaning as well, despite of the fact that in this momentt he might not be in love with her yet. Foreshadowing....

5 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

maybe because he is still in love with Arya and they will meet again before the ending. LOL

LOL, yeah. You really want to ship them very hard, right? No youth looking like Gendry is likely going to remain without a female companion during the things he does. They are butchering Lannisters and Freys and collaborators. What do you think he does to cool down? Read a book?

Also keep in mind that Gendry abandoned Arya. He left her. She is not going to forget or forgive that. It taught her a valuable lesson. And as far as I recall (I'm not obsessed with that) Arya does never reminiscence about Gendry's muscles, etc. She doesn't think all that often about him after she left him, and never with any longing.

And the age gap is important, of course. There is no fucking going on with an eleven-year-old, yes? And hopefully also not with a twelve-year-old, right?

Class differences certainly would be a thing. But the much bigger problem would be Arya's profession, her overall attitude, and her world view. Still, they could have an affair. But they would not stay together more than the usual fortnight. They have nothing in common.

4 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

A dozen quips came to mind, each crueler than the one before, but Jaime only shrugged. "I dreamed of you," he said. 

He is trying to invent an excuse, but, at the end, what matters is that he is sincere with her, because at the end, love is something that can't be hidden, because it speaks for our hearts, not our minds. He tells her the truth, he dreamed of her, and that dream made him go to her, but it has that double meaning as well, despite of the fact that in this momentt he might not be in love with her yet. Foreshadowing....

Oh, come on, that sounds like a pick-up line but it is the truth. Jaime did dream of Brienne, and this was a very weird dream that messed with his mind. He didn't save Brienne because he loved her or his physically attracted to her, he saved her because the dream pushed him to save her. But that dream didn't reflect his innermost thoughts and desires. It was a dream sent to him by Bloodraven. He wanted Jaime to save Brienne.

7 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Which is what truly made the line special, the simple truth.   And yes, it's a great big hint of what is going on with Jamie and his feelings.  

On 7/28/2017 at 3:46 AM, Orphalesion said:

No that's your interpretation with a bit of fanfiction tacked on.

I'm not sure how you come to that.  We know for a fact Lyanna was riding through the Riverlands on her way home, it's explicit in the text.  We know Rhaegar met her there, whether with honorable or malicious intent, with half a dozen men at his back, of whom we know the identity of two for sure (Oswell Whent and Arthur Dayne, highly skilled swordsmen) and can reasonably guess the identity of a few others.

It is nearly impossible to believe that a noble girl of about 16 years old would be allowed to ride half the length of the Seven Kingdoms alone, so the question becomes, where are her attendants?  If Lyanna were a willing participant, it stands to reason they would come with her, or prevent her from going.  Since they don't come with her, they must have at least attempted to prevent Rhaegar from riding off with her, which means that whether or not Lyanna wanted to (and the circumstantial evidence is quite convincing that she's an unwilling "guest"), Rhaegar absolutely demanded her by force.  Since we aren't given a scene of the moment, it is "fanfiction".  But then, to say that Cersei was sad when she was forced to leave Kings Landing and Jaime (as a teenager) is also fanfiction, despite it being about as certain as possible.

And no, the speculations of some characters long after the fact, who where not even there to witness the events doesn't count.

I agree.  Every character who comments on it has a very specific reason to believe one way or another, a set of their own very strong biases.

Please provide the text quotes that support your theory

I think the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  If Lyanna is a willing participant, there is literally no reason to go to the Tower of Joy, as opposed to literally anywhere else.  Go to the Red Keep, or Oldtown, or literally any non-Stormlands or Northern castle in the realm.  No one knows who Lyanna is, and if she's in on it, she won't be telling.  And you'll have a maester or midwife or both to help with the pregnancy, an incredibly dangerous moment for a mother and which we happen to know ends up killing her.  If Lyanna is a willing participant, then it makes no sense for Rhaegar to leave three of his best knights, and best commanders besides, to fight a massive rebellion which has already threatened to topple the monarchy.  Having Arthur Dayne or Gerold Hightower in command at the Battle of the Bells, or the Trident, might have turned the tide, and twenty Targaryen guardsmen are far better "protection" for Lyanna.  The only thing recommending the three KG over 15 other men is their absolute loyalty and ability to keep quiet.  If Lyanna is a willing participant, why isn't Rhaegar having her write a letter to her family calming them down after the "abduction".  Might not do anything, but it can't hurt.  If she's a prisoner, all of these issues have a very easy answer; Rhaegar wants her isolated in a place where no one knows she is, people are unlikely to find her, where she's unable to contact the outside world, and is protected/kept there by a few men he can trust absolutely and who won't have any serious moral qualms about imprisoning a pregnant teenager.

All of which ignores the issues from Lyanna's side.  She might be a tomboy and a bit of a wild child, but she's no fool, and she knows what it means to break her marriage pact with Robert, whatever she feels about him.  She knows she's tainted goods if she sleeps with Rhaegar.  ANd since he's married, she knows that her affair can't go anywhere.

Moreover, from a metatextual sense, GRRM has a bad problem with "fridging" women who are not directly in the story.  Most of the female characters of the previous generation are given no backstory, no agency, no nothing, in contrast to their male counterparts, who often are haunted in some way by the memory of their unremembered mother, so it isn't crazy to say that the fact that Lyanna is denied all agency in this version of events makes it somehow less likely.

I mean, we have no direct textual evidence that Aerys was actually insane, except for the recollections of a bunch of characters that are two decades old.  We have no evidence that Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen aren't Robert's kids.  But again, the circumstantial evidence is very convincing.

16 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

LOL, yeah. You really want to ship them very hard, right? No youth looking like Gendry is likely going to remain without a female companion during the things he does. They are butchering Lannisters and Freys and collaborators. What do you think he does to cool down? Read a book?

Also keep in mind that Gendry abandoned Arya. He left her. She is not going to forget or forgive that. It taught her a valuable lesson. And as far as I recall (I'm not obsessed with that) Arya does never reminiscence about Gendry's muscles, etc. She doesn't think all that often about him after she left him, and never with any longing.

That's you own assumption, and not based on what we have read about his personality from Arya's or Brienne's POV, but the contrary, in fact.

He actually apologised after leaving her because he cares about her  and he was likely shouting her name when she left. Now he is at the Inn where he thinks she could return to and if you noticed his mood in Brienne's chapters, he is not very into "sleeping with girls". 

Arya directly remembers him three times, once when she is thinking of what she would like to be doing and another  when she is so afraid, and he is the first that comes into her mind in that moment. That's actually deeper than "reminiscense of muscles". 

Archived