What lies west of Westros? The ironborn once did.

I believe the ironborn came from the land west of westeros, 1000s of years before the first men crossed the narrow sea bridge. They wrought ships of weirwood, for their strength against the Deep Ones and monsters of the seas. And maybe a special ship named Nagga was built of massive weirwood beams for a very long , very dangerous unknown open ocean journey, against krakens and storms, waves and leviathans, to a place they didnt know but hoped existed. Maybe there was an ancient cataclysm (metors of black oily stone and other metals) that destroyed most of their civilization, forcing the remnants to build an ancient ark to find land to restart on. Crashing the ark on iron islands, dragged upon shore for shelter or tossed there and broken during a violent deluge after who knows how long a journey. Dead Weirwood petrifies hard as stone over 1000s of years, never rotting, so thatd explain that. Maybe weirwoods over there were straight and tall, and when iron born brought seeds over, westerosse land made them twisted, stunted versions of their original selves, or CoTF warped them over time with magic. Iron islands may have once been fertile and much larger in size, but thousands of years of farming,erosion and anger of the Storm god eventually had striped the land of all nutrients and made it widely unfarmable, but forever their savior islands. They were probably stuck on the islands for most of this time, as they would have been few in number, strangers to the land and possibly afraid to continue on, being content to have what they had. Also not knowing if land laid west beyond the island and unable/unwilling to make such a journey again. Once they did however, they surely found large populations of giants and forest people along the reach, westerland and northern coasts, so they that to contend with if they want to push farther inland. maybe why ironborn started claiming all the riverlands, during first men era and after, when the gaints and cotf were being destroyed. Yet they never really left pyke, wyk, ect. Those were ingrained as their savior lands, no matter where they'd sail to, the iron islands were always home. The westmost island, Last Light iirc, maybe an ancestral memory to help guide anymore lost ironborn to their brethren.

20 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

any textual evidence?

There is, but it mainly consists of alot of vague, one line statements that are glossed over. Being a noob and not having time to find all the quotes, i cant really give any textual evidance. i just pulled a Jurassic Park and filled in between the lines. References to ironborn being a people apart, their saying of "whats dead may never die, but come back harder and stronger", especially coupled with drowning themselves to become true ironborn, in that theyll always remember the ones lost during a voyage maybe. Seastone chair being ancient. Naggas bones being referenced as trees. Hatred for a storm god, worshipping a drowned god. Castle on Pyke once being much larger and erosion time needed to whittle it down. Island of Last Light being maned and lighthouse kept lit. No one of first men or andal blood considering them any kind of kin or even forsaken ancestors. 

5 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

Cool story, bro!

Thanks, it kind of just popped into a dream i had last night and i wanted to get it wrote down before forgetting it. Why drempt of a Ironborn origin i have no clue, but it was more in depth in my dream, and woke me up, so i just typed it on phone as quick as i could, still half still asleep. 

56 minutes ago, Rickard of House Rakkoon said:

There is, but it mainly consists of alot of vague, one line statements that are glossed over. Being a noob and not having time to find all the quotes, i cant really give any textual evidance.

Maybe this could help?

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/

Beware, with great power comes great responsibility. 

25 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Maybe this could help?

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/

Beware, with great power comes great responsibility. 

Oh cool, im new here and didnt know of the resource. Ill work on getting textual qoutes to back up my post. Thanks. And ive seen alot of hate for fan fiction, so just to put it put it out there, i like what grrm is doing with his story, on the whole, and by no means do i think that i know how to write about it better then him. Or that he should change his work to suit us. I appreciate the hard work hes done and is doing. However, i see no harm in fan fiction and making stories to live in his world of planetos. Just as he is influenced by great writers of his day, so are we. 

Archived