UK Politics - summer edition

Maltaran

12 hours ago, Yukle said:

Sadly, the issue for many is that one of her parents is black. I saw one comment from a tweet that was shown on the news that nearly made me vomit: "We didn't vote for Brexit to get more of those people."

While I don't condone violence, I wouldn't be sad if somebody accidentally bumped that person into busy traffic.

I've read far worse than that about her on Facebook.  Sometimes, social media is like peering into a sewer.

Actually, £50 billion isn't too bad. That works out at £2,871.79 per Leave voter. I'm sure they'll be happy and delighted to pay for it.

ETA: Donald Trump is a fan of far-right UK hate group Britain First and has been retweeting their posts showing people being murdered. WTF.

On 28.11.2017 at 8:23 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

I liked (not really) the comment where someone is so disgusted he is going to burn his passport and take the first flight out thr UK.

Maybe don't try it in that order, mate.

Maybe he meant burning his EU passport, getting his new British passport, and then leaving the country. *shrug*

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

Bertie Ahern proposes a "Ah, let's wing it," solution to the border issue. Which actually could work (in the absence of any sensible plan). Cameras will track large lorries crossing the border and any small goods or passengers crossing the border will be ignored.

Call me cynical, but this looks like an invitations to reintroduce bordersmuggling galore. I don't see how the they are able to monitor with every country road crossing from NI into the Republic. Furthermore he speaks about farm products being excluded. Which is pretty much what is travelling south. And which won't fly if Britain was to trade under WTO rules with the EU.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

Excellent trolling from the EU Parliament on Twitter this afternoon. They put up links to their impact assessments of Brexit and even a livestream of the Irish borders debate.

Source credibility is the key word. Sadly for a lot of Brexiteers Sun, Mail, and Telegraph have a higher credibility than those pesky interest driven EU institutions (or British academia, which does not want to lose EU funding). So I don't really see it making much of a difference. It will be project fear reloaded.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Actually, £50 billion isn't too bad. That works out at £2,871.79 per Leave voter. I'm sure they'll be happy and delighted to pay for it.

No, it really isn't that bad. It looks like the UK got off relatively cheap on that one.I thought it would be 60-70 billion.

27 minutes ago, Notone said:

Maybe he meant burning his EU passport, getting his new British passport, and then leaving the country. *shrug*

Call me cynical, but this looks like an invitations to reintroduce bordersmuggling galore. I don't see how the they are able to monitor with every country road crossing from NI into the Republic. Furthermore he speaks about farm products being excluded. Which is pretty much what is travelling south. And which won't fly if Britain was to trade under WTO rules with the EU.

Source credibility is the key word. Sadly for a lot of Brexiteers Sun, Mail, and Telegraph have a higher credibility than those pesky interest driven EU institutions (or British academia, which does not want to lose EU funding). So I don't really see it making much of a difference. It will be project fear reloaded.

No, it really isn't that bad. It looks like the UK got off relatively cheap on that one.I thought it would be 60-70 billion.

The FT estimated 25-73 bn net, so it comes in the middle of that range.

Donald Trump's visit to the UK looks like it's going to be cancelled after Trump retweeted blatantly false information from a far-right hate group and refused to apologise for it. This has caused a major storm in the UK and Amber Rudd's attempts to minimise its impact are pretty feeble.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Donald Trump's visit to the UK looks like it's going to be cancelled after Trump retweeted blatantly false information from a far-right hate group and refused to apologise for it. This has caused a major storm in the UK and Amber Rudd's attempts to minimise its impact are pretty feeble.

I never actually saw which video he retweeted from Britain First, but he retweeted 3 videos in a row which basically demonise muslims in a pretty horrific way. I mean the message there is pretty clear. 

Whats amusing is that now people who hate Theresa May are feeling like they need to stand up for Theresa May! 

Doubt it.

We are in for another round of 'we're willing to say that Donald Trump is bad but we will do absolutely nothing about it'. Trump gets condemned all the time but he never faces any consequences. It's all lip service, and he goes away from these encounters feeling vindicated, not chastised. Trump could wipe his backside on a Union Jack, defraud the Bank of England, and threaten to shoot the Queen's corgis and his official state invitation would still stand. Nobody in this government will ever revoke it. 

It sounds like they're going to cancel the visit by "revising the dates", which sounds like kicking it down the road so far that he's either impeached or his term ends before it actually happens. Which is probably the best we're going to get.

I just have this feeling that Trump is doing a bit of a Python. 

He's found a way to unite so many disparate groups... Brexiteers and Remoaners... Corbynistas and Rhys's Moggies... Archbishop of Canterbury, Muslim Council of GB and Richard Dawkins... Piers Morgan and Humanity...

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if he went even if he was uninvited. That’s the kind of troll that he is.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Doubt it.

We are in for another round of 'we're willing to say that Donald Trump is bad but we will do absolutely nothing about it'. Trump gets condemned all the time but he never faces any consequences. It's all lip service, and he goes away from these encounters feeling vindicated, not chastised. Trump could wipe his backside on a Union Jack, defraud the Bank of England, and threaten to shoot the Queen's corgis and his official state invitation would still stand. Nobody in this government will ever revoke it. 

Isn’t that just here in the US though? Anyways, welcome to the Trump nightmare, Eurocommie friends.

:P

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

It sounds like they're going to cancel the visit by "revising the dates", which sounds like kicking it down the road so far that he's either impeached or his term ends before it actually happens. Which is probably the best we're going to get.

Can you 'revise' a date that has never been set? 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Isn’t that just here in the US though?

No, we've had several rounds of it from the UK government before.

28 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I really wish the UK would cancel his visit, it would be nice if someone would punish him in some way because Congress sure won't, someone needs to be the first to teach him that his actions have consequences. He is getting worse.

If that happened, what would Trump call May? And what kind of international controversy would arise from that type of insult?

The UK government need to grow a pair of testicles and revoke the invitation. And do it by Twitter just to beat him at his own game.

And whilst we're at it lets slap his name on the list of "people not permitted to enter the country due to inciting hatred/racism/bigotry etc", we shouldn't sully our green and pleasant land with that orange turd face.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

If the notional date is more than a few months in the future there's a good chance May won't be PM any more by then anyway.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

If the notional date is more than a few months in the future there's a good chance May won't be PM any more by then anyway.

Yep, the latest from the DUP about the border issue kind of implies they won’t be propping her up for much longer

Archived