UK Politics - summer edition

Maltaran

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The government desperately want a trade deal with him though, so they'll try and keep him as sweet as possible, whilst also not being seen as condoning his racism. Which is an impossible act, but they'll give it a good go.

I understand the desire for trade deals in the wake of Brexit, but why would you want to work with Trump? He's got a long history of screwing over just about everyone he's worked with, and it's hard to believe that he'd be a faithful partner. 

3 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

The UK government need to grow a pair of testicles and revoke the invitation. And do it by Twitter just to beat him at his own game.

And whilst we're at it lets slap his name on the list of "people not permitted to enter the country due to inciting hatred/racism/bigotry etc", we shouldn't sully our green and pleasant land with that orange turd face.

Yup, and I suspect they will. Don't be surprised if the back and forth with him and May continues for a while. May has to defend herself and it's good politics for her in the UK to stand up to Trump. Trump in turn will respond with more crude attacks because he can't help himself and he seems to like to attack powerful women, so it wouldn't be shocking if this plays out in a cyclical pattern for some time to come. 

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I understand the desire for trade deals in the wake of Brexit, but why would you want to work with Trump? He's got a long history of screwing over just about everyone he's worked with, and it's hard to believe that he'd be a faithful partner.

To be fair to the Tories, they don't exactly have much choice but to try to work with him, no matter how much we wish it Trump's probably not going away any time soon. That said, they do seem to be in denial (at least publicly) about the fact that even apart from Trump's natural inclination to try to gain the upper hand in any negotiation, Trump trying to gain every advantage he can for American workers would be him actually doing his job for a change.

51 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Yep, the latest from the DUP about the border issue kind of implies they won’t be propping her up for much longer

If the DUP do break with the Tories is there any alternative other than having a new election? I can't imagine a minority government lasting long given how many contentious issues there are at the moment.

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

If the DUP do break with the Tories is there any alternative other than having a new election? I can't imagine a minority government lasting long given how many contentious issues there are at the moment.

Have we given the DUP the bribe yet?   if not and they do break does that then mean we can spend that money on the NHS  as part of the 350M per week we were promised?

Archived