Thoughts on Sandor?

I love Sandor as a character. I think he is one of GRRM's best creations in the books, and that Rory McCann has done an amazing job portraying him. 
That's why I was so happy to see Sandor coming back so soon in this season. Awesome scene that gives us so much to talk about IMO.
I had been wondering during last season what "the point" about his arc was. I mean, his scenes were completely detached from the main storyline, and he only interacts with the BWB. No answers came, and although I immensely loved every bit of screen time devoted to the character, the fact that it seemed to "go nowhere" seemed fishy to me. Fishy as in, "nothing is explained, most of it seems unnecessary to the plot moving on, so there must be a pretty solid reason for it we'll see in the future".
I mean, I get that the group is heading north and will probably be involved in the epic fight against the others.  But the writers could as easily have waited for the "big reveal" and simply shown the BWB later on, having them explain why and how they got to Winterfell/the Wall.
So definitely something big going on. Sandor looking into the flames and the dialogue between him, Thoros and Beric seems to suggest these characters have an important role to play, not just a small one.
Cleganebowl isn't likely to happen (at least not now) so what could it be?
Do you buy the "Sandor is Azhor Ai" theory? Do you think they'll be the ones slaying the Night King? Are they going to be the sacrifice, the characters that die to protect the last remaining Starks during the battle? 
(I'd love Sandor to have more interactions with Sansa and Arya. He was definitely something close to a protector for them when they were young and weak, and now that they are both learned not to be pawns anymore, this might mean some amazing scenes/dialogues to come).
I have my theories, but I wanted to know what you guys think now that we have a new episode to chew on. 

I don't think he is Azor Ahai, but rather that they are lining up the best fighters to battle the white walkers. It would be strange to have brought him back just before the fight because they do have to lay groundwork.  I do think Clegane bowl could happen.  He runs into Arya who wants to kill Cersei. Mountain is protecting Cersei.  Hound takes on Mountain to clear way for Arya. 

On 20/07/2017 at 11:09 AM, ObsessedWithIceAndFire said:

Do you buy the "Sandor is Azhor Ai" theory? Do you think they'll be the ones slaying the Night King? Are they going to be the sacrifice, the characters that die to protect the last remaining Starks during the battle? 

I'm not fan of theories and speculations but the scene when he read into the flames without any effort or training was convincing that Sandor is a major candidate for AA role and then I saw the new comic com trailer where Melisandre is with Daenerys and I remembered the scene of Kinvara so in my humble opinion : it is Daenerys the AA and not Sandor

For me, Melisandre can't get it wrong this time, if she get it wrong it will be too much repetition in the story

GRRM loves make many candidates for a specific role so we will never know :D

For the sacrifice, the vision of Daenerys in the house of the undying gives who will be the sacrifice  

On 18-7-2017 at 5:28 PM, Jayc said:

I also think it was a reference to the gravedigger scene from AFoC.

I am going out on a limb that the Hound will end up being the one who kills the Night King. All this foreshadowing about why he is alive, why he is here, his purpose etc....

Don't think so. There is a role for the hound but not to kill the Nights King i guess. 

I love that he's back too, easily one of my top book/show characters. I don't buy the Azor Ahai theory, but feel that it's important on his own that Sandor had that revelation, being a man afraid of the flames and less than impressed by the gods up until now. His scars are also healing or they look less fearsome than earlier seasons as his arc progresses; a reflection on the outside of the changes within. I fully expect Cleganebowl in the final season; there's no other logical person to take down UnGregor.  

6 hours ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

I really enjoyed the hound scene last episode, It feels like he really is now on his redemption path. It seems last season's scenes with him were just there for shock value and didn't have any relevance. Did we ever find out why Lem decided to slaughter all those villagers? 

because he was a psycho and wanted what they had.

9 hours ago, Sand11751 said:

I love that he's back too, easily one of my top book/show characters. I don't buy the Azor Ahai theory, but feel that it's important on his own that Sandor had that revelation, being a man afraid of the flames and less than impressed by the gods up until now. His scars are also healing or they look less fearsome than earlier seasons as his arc progresses; a reflection on the outside of the changes within. I fully expect Cleganebowl in the final season; there's no other logical person to take down UnGregor.  

I agree. I love him too and he is one of my favourites. I love his arc, I'm torn about Azor Ahai, tbh I'm not sure if I'm a believer either. I think Cleganebowl will happen too. It would be so fitting for him to face off against his brother.   

I wonder ... I don't think the Hound is quite important enough as a character to be AA; he's one of the secondary characters, important but not, I suspect, to the point of being AA. Granted that in the show he seems to have gotten bigger (and I also enjoyed his scenes this episode). So will he help in fighting the WW somehow? It does seem somehow fitting he should get the Ungregor chap. I'm guessing he'll eventually meet Sansa again (although I don't know about they're necessarily being a "couple"), and perhaps help in defending the North somehow. Just thinking vaguely out loud.

Archived