Confederate: bad idea or the WORST idea?

Kalbear

I'm going with the show will probably be very bad. But, I won't know, as GOT is the only regular tv series I watch, and most likely I'll promptly cancel my HBO subscription as soon as it's over. I let others watch it for years and tell me if it's any good, which I doubt.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You sound quite a bit like an inverse MGTOWer bitching about Mad Max with a female protagonist or a female centric Ghost Busters before even bothering to see the films. It's bullshit, click-baity speculation, topped with a bit of identity signalling. If you want to say the premise sounds problematic, I think that's fair, but to call it out as being racist before anything has even been shot? That's fucking ridiculous and irresponsible. You don't know what's in the box yet. 

Agreed.

I do think it's fair to cite D&D's inability to handle nuance as a reason why the show might suck, but to say it's going to be the worst show ever before it's even been filmed is a bit much.  Still, I tend to give HBO shows the benefit of the doubt.  They have far more hits than misses.

Is Man in the High Castle fodder for anti semetic, assholes?... I dont think so.... Is Underground a "celebration" of slavery?.... or is it meant to expose how terrible it was?...which is why I would like to see how they handle this before I condemn... I have a hard time believing that this is going to do anything beyond bringing the horrors of the American past into the present... I am fairly certain that it will be done as means to counter-balance the alt-right propaganda and the gleefully ignorant, confederate flag waving jizzbag racists who simply want African Americans to "just get over it".... 

If its awful, I'll pan it then...but until I see what they're doing, I'll wait.

I think its hilarious. The expected reaction from the usual snowflakes means its got more attention than it would otherwise. Great marketing. I wont watch it unless there are some good reviews across the board. If just one group like it (SJWs, Alt-right or whoever) then its likely to be crap.

24 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You sound quite a bit like an inverse MGTOWer bitching about Mad Max with a female protagonist or a female centric Ghost Busters before even bothering to see the films. It's bullshit, click-baity speculation, topped with a bit of identity signalling. If you want to say the premise sounds problematic, I think that's fair, but to call it out as being racist before anything has even been shot? That's fucking ridiculous and irresponsible. You don't know what's in the box yet. 

The premise sounds problematic. 

I've never said it was racist. It sounds problematic. 

Whereas you appear to not be willing to criticize anything unless you've seen the whole thing, which seems incredibly bizarre. 

14 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Is Man in the High Castle fodder for anti semetic, assholes?... I dont think so.... Is Underground a "celebration" of slavery?.... or is it meant to expose how terrible it was?...which is why I would like to see how they handle this before I condemn

Man in the High Castle was an already-written object and thus could already be judged as reasonable ahead of time due to the source material. Also, in the US there isn't quite as big of a desire to have the Nazis win. 

Underground was written by black people. That helps a lot.

Confederate is being done by two people who haven't shown a lot of nuance or ability to tackle anything particularly around racism or sexism.

12 minutes ago, Squab said:

I think its hilarious. The expected reaction from the usual snowflakes means its got more attention than it would otherwise. Great marketing. I wont watch it unless there are some good reviews across the board. If just one group like it (SJWs, Alt-right or whoever) then its likely to be crap.

Yeah, I'm sure that the next series by the creators of the most popular cable show in the history of the world was gonna just fly right under that radar

14 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I going with the show will probably be very bad. But, I won't know, as GOT is the only regular tv series I watch, and most likely I'll promptly cancel my HBO subscription as soon as it's over. I let others watch it for years and tell me if it's any good, which I doubt.

I recommend hbo's westworld if you are a fan of the sci-fi genre, it have the same quality of the first seasons of GOT and its cinematic is amazing

The articles and statements of concerns are appropriate and neccessary though do not though I do not think the presentation is great for dialogue.

D&D should be active in wanting to have writers and researchers that have a more personal interest within the portrayal of the slaves.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Do we know the cultural background or race of the person or persons who are writing this yet? 

Well, D&D are white Americans. They've hired a couple other producers, apparently, but other than that, no. If it's anything like GOT, D&D are going to be doing a fair amount of the writing. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

Well, D&D are white Americans. They've hired a couple other producers, apparently, but other than that, no. If it's anything like GOT, D&D are going to be doing a fair amount of the writing. 

Ah, I didn't realize they were responsible for most of the adaptation. I thought they were producers of a more traditional sort. I'd say that's more problematic from the angle that this is not an adapted work. Have they written any original material that has been successful or notable?

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Whereas you appear to not be willing to criticize anything unless you've seen the whole thing, which seems incredibly bizarre. 

I mean, it seems pretty fair to wait until you've actually seen a show to proclaim it the worst idea ever.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I mean, it seems pretty fair to wait until you've actually seen a show to proclaim it the worst idea ever.

Sorry, I didn't realize that my hyperbole triggered you so badly.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ah, I didn't realize they were responsible for most of the adaptation. I thought they were producers of a more traditional sort. I'd say that's more problematic from the angle that this is not an adapted work. Have they written any original material that has been successful or notable?

If GOT is any indicator they'll write about 25%, direct about 25-30% and be responsible for all script breakdowns, season breakdowns and the like. And it's their story, not an adaptation. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

If GOT is any indicator they'll write about 25%, direct about 25-30% and be responsible for all script breakdowns, season breakdowns and the like. And it's their story, not an adaptation. 

If that's the case then I would certainly agree that they'd be well served to bring on some black writers and directors given the premise.

29 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Man in the High Castle was an already-written object and thus could already be judged as reasonable ahead of time due to the source material. Also, in the US there isn't quite as big of a desire to have the Nazis win. 

Underground was written by black people. That helps a lot.

Confederate is being done by two people who haven't shown a lot of nuance or ability to tackle anything particularly around racism or sexism.

I was also going to mention stuff like this but Kal beat me to it.

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that my hyperbole triggered you so badly.

It didn't.  Just think it's dumb to call a show the worst before it's even been filmed.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

GOT has not been good for minorities in front of or behind the camera ( 90% certain they haven't had a single minority in the writers room or any women)

Not true. Game of Thrones doesn't have a traditional writers room, since D&D do so much of the writing themselves. But 2 of the 4 other credited writers for show, besides GRRM himself, are women; Jane Espenson and Vanessa Taylor. 

Archived