Stannis is the Mannis

The Crow

54 minutes ago, The Crow said:

I believe with firm conviction that Stannis Baratheon may be the greatest character in modern fantasy literature. A man i'd follow through hell and back. 

Thoughts? 

Whatever dude. Patchface, Moonboy, Micah. All better written, more complex, deeper emotionally and well fleshed out characters. /thread 

On 7/21/2017 at 4:02 PM, The Crow said:

I believe with firm conviction that Stannis Baratheon may be the greatest character in modern fantasy literature. A man i'd follow through hell and back. 

Thoughts? 

I know, right?  At least he never told a lie like Sahn-sa!

Now that was a paragon of a man...an honest man, a just man, one of the few mercilessly merciful men left standing, a dying breed -- with whom you could always tell where you stood (eh...unless you were his brother...)... Anyway, someone who had he only been given the chance would have swept the Seven Kingdoms and scoured that filthy viper's nest clean of corruption...

A Storm of Swords - Davos IV

"Why would you want it, then?" Davos asked him.

"It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son." He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. "I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done, after the Trident. Ser Barristan once told me that the rot in King Aerys's reign began with Varys. The eunuch should never have been pardoned. No more than the Kingslayer. At the least, Robert should have stripped the white cloak from Jaime and sent him to the Wall, as Lord Stark urged. He listened to Jon Arryn instead. I was still at Storm's End, under siege and unconsulted." He turned abruptly, to give Davos a hard shrewd look. "The truth, now...."

Veritably, indeed, someone we could've trusted to 'Clean House in Sacramento King's Landing'!

27 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Whatever dude. Patchface, Moonboy, Micah. All better written, more complex, deeper emotionally and well fleshed out characters. /thread 

What. What? What!!! How dare you? :fencing:

i obviously disagree wholeheartedly. :)

23 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Second.  Stannis lacks any shred of personality.  He gets close to a real, human moment with the Proudwing story but that blows over in a hurry.  He's unbuttered toast with a sword that glows.

3 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

I know, right?  At least he never told a lie like Sahn-sa!

Now that was a paragon of a man...an honest man, a just man, one of the few mercilessly merciful men left standing, a dying breed -- with whom you could always tell where you stood (eh...unless you were his brother...)... Anyway, someone who had he only been given the chance would have swept the Seven Kingdoms and scoured that filthy viper's nest clean of corruption...

Veritably, indeed, someone we could've trusted to 'Clean House in Sacramento King's Landing':

Beautifully done. 

Sorta makes Stannis like Cregan Stark. He swept the place clean too. 

Ah, the Stannis fanboys are out in force. 

The best you can say about him is that he progressed from being a self-pitying, privileged fascist in the early books to being a decent, somewhat interesting character. And I still say that anyone who burns people alive is definitely lacking in certain facets of humanity.

33 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Ah, the Stannis fanboys are out in force. 

The best you can say about him is that he progressed from being a self-pitying, privileged fascist in the early books to being a decent, somewhat interesting character. And I still say that anyone who burns people alive is definitely lacking in certain facets of humanity.

Omg he is a fascist!!! BASH THE FASC

The most satisfying A Dream of Spring could be is if it were a roll call of all the realm's lords and ladies, read by Davos, who would then go on to list their crimes in full for the judgement of King Stannis who would sit silently upon the iron throne, grinding his teeth, until Davos finished.

Mercy would not be the word of the day.

People never seem to realize that a great character is supposed to have flaws and redeeming qualities both. But the fanboys deny the existence of any flaws and the haters ignore any positive sides to Stannis. But really, he is a complex individual who can easily be seen as a monster or a hero with equal justification. If he just kept winning and winning or losing and losing, it would be boring. This way he learns from his failures and makes progress. That's why he inspires such response from readers. And it's what D and D completely screwed up when they thought they could write as well as GRRM.

Archived