Is the fact that cersei blew up baelors sept which is the most holy place to the most popular religion in wesetero's gonna matter?

snow is the man

I would think that her blowing up the sept would have angered alot more people. I mean that was like the most holiest place for those who believe in the seven. Maybe I am overthinking it but alot of people wouldn't fight for cersei because she basically did something so sacreligous that most people would be scared to help her

It won't matter. The showrunners love Cersei/Headey for some reason and are trying to keep her on the show for as long as possible. Another example: Why didn't Daenerys just attack KL that is incredibly close and will go all across Westeros to attack Casterly Rock? Because Cersei can't be defeated in just 1 episode!

I'm not sure who Cersei's minister of propaganda is but if she campaigned against Daenerys, laying the blame at her as an outside usurper who wants to destroy them all with wildfire and dragons then maybe she can cause enough doubt or shift enough attention of the ignorant small folk to keep the city from falling into chaos.  I mostly agree with @Tolsimir though.

Cersei has to be strong enough to be a challenge to Dany so the potential repercussions of blowing up the sept had been ignored. Dany coming to Westeros and conquering it with no difficulty is not a good TV, according to the show writers. That's all there is,really.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, snow is the man said:

I would think that her blowing up the sept would have angered alot more people. I mean that was like the most holiest place for those who believe in the seven. Maybe I am overthinking it but alot of people wouldn't fight for cersei because she basically did something so sacreligous that most people would be scared to help her

No, they are not angry bc they are dumb. Cersei is describing herself when speaking of Dany and nobody cares or realises it. The most simple answer is: the plot is stupid on that matter and we have to "believe" in it.

36 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

I thought/think she lays the blame at Tommen, who conveniently committed suicide during the massacre. 

even Hot Pie says it. And it wasn't "people say it was Cersei", it was "Cersei did it".

This, for me, is the mother of all plot holes. It renders all of cersei's/KL's story "made up"

36 minutes ago, Holly Macaroni said:

even Hot Pie says it. And it wasn't "people say it was Cersei", it was "Cersei did it".

This, for me, is the mother of all plot holes. It renders all of cersei's/KL's story "made up"

exactly

On 7/25/2017 at 6:02 AM, Adam Targaryen said:

It does matter of course, but I don't think the Sept of Baelor is the holiest Sept in Westeros, since it's not even 200 years old and largely just a Targaryen thing. The Starry Sept is more religiously significant and holy

well it's one of the most imporatant. It may be newer but it's still seen as "the" sept

Cersei's storyline should be over with The Faith/Margaery/Tyrells, she shouldn't be getting wins on Dorne and Daenerys but when you leave out Aegon what can you do really.... best to go with the character that's been there since the premiere.

disclaimer: no i'm not advocating aegon should have been in the show. it just doesn't make much sense for Cersei to still be a major player unless you want Dany to have some conflict...

On 7/25/2017 at 7:06 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

No, they are not angry bc they are dumb. Cersei is describing herself when speaking of Dany and nobody cares or realises it. The most simple answer is: the plot is stupid on that matter and we have to "believe" in it.

I am usually forgiving of small things being forgotten or not explained but last season ended with cersei doing this. And the way the episode played out and was done it made me think we were gonna see everyone realizing she is completly insane now. As of right now I cannot truly think of anyone (save the night king) who is more evil then her.

1 minute ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

Cersei's storyline should be over with The Faith/Margaery/Tyrells, she shouldn't be getting wins on Dorne and Daenerys but when you leave out Aegon what can you do really.... best to go with the character that's been there since the premiere.

disclaimer: no i'm not advocating aegon should have been in the show. it just doesn't make much sense for Cersei to still be a major player unless you want Dany to have some conflict...

Yes but you could do it in a way that shows people realizng what she did. We essentially have hot pie just saying one line about it being her. I could buy into cersei keeping power through fear and putting up a fight that way. But this should have been mentioned more. Dany should be sending out letters about this

They erase people's intelligence/common sense when it suits them. It's not the sept in question, it could be any place, but the fact she blew up so many people, and so many of those people were powerful and influential in society. 

Also, Randyll Tarly answers her summon, a Tyrell's loyal bannerman who has to know who and how died in there. They expect of viewers to eat just everything they serve. 

This is the Lannister way, and to some extent the way of the Seven Kingdoms in general. Cersei tears up Robert's will. Jaime attacks Ned in the streets. Twyin sacks King's Landing. Tyrion does... all sorts of things. Everyone is no doubt at least suspicious that Joffrey and Tommen were not Robert's. The answer, should anyone ever raise an objection, will always be "What are you going to do about it?"

Everyone knows Cersei is crazy, just as they did with Aerys II. But anyone who has the guts to question it will no doubt be aware of what happened to people who asked awkward questions even when Robert was king. 

On 7/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I'm not sure who Cersei's minister of propaganda is but if she campaigned against Daenerys, laying the blame at her as an outside usurper who wants to destroy them all with wildfire and dragons then maybe she can cause enough doubt or shift enough attention of the ignorant small folk to keep the city from falling into chaos.  I mostly agree with @Tolsimir though.

A demagogue who mends fences with religious conservatives by taking advantage of their xenophobia and refocusing their ire on scary foreigners? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Try to imagine a Presidential candidate who manages to gain the evenagelical vote despite several divorces, an obvious lack of any faith, well publicized extra-marital affairs, and having previously stated that he supports gay marriage and abortion simply by promising to build a wall between the US and Mexico. Absurd, right? Impossible.

Westeros is a more rational place than the present-day US. The people there actually would care if somebody blew up the seat of their pope-equivalent. Not to mention that they would never suffer a woman with only the flimsiest claim (widow of a previous king) on the Iron Throne. The Seven Kingdoms never had a Queen Regnant before. If they ever have one it will be Daenerys. Not Cersei.

In addition, the Lannisters have never been popular in KL. Tywin sacked the city a while back, remember? And the dwarf Hand starved the population (in their mind). But the Targaryens actually are popular with the Kingslanders.

In the books we are going to see the Kingslanders and Crownlanders turning against Tommen and Cersei (assuming both are still there) as soon as things look as if Aegon is going to win.

It makes no sense.  Even if nobody questioned her,  people should be scared. I've found interesting her scene with the iron bank.  She said the sept was a tragic accident, so the official version is "accident" and they haven't questioned it for fear. I haven't seen anyone scared.

Archived