Would it be cheating

Feologild

Lets say that time travel is possible. And that you in 2017 are married but you go back in time to lets say 1833 and you also get married to a woman or man in 1833. Now you are both married in 2017 and 1833. So would you say that its cheating when one has not been born yet and the other has been dead for many many years.

If it would be cheating who are you cheating on the one you married in 1833 or the one you are married to in 2017

yes i know its a silly question.

Personally i would say its not cheating. As i don`t see how you can cheat on somebody who has been dead for years. And on somebody who has not been born yet.

But if you think it is cheating who are you cheating on the one in 1833 or the one in 2017 ?

Are is there a possibility of ever returning to 2017? Are you considered dead or vanished or something in 2017? Are they expecting your return in 2017?

If you might return, then its cheating - you might as well have gone on holiday. If you will never return, then you can be considered deceased or missing from the point of view of the 2017 spouse, and they considered deceased from the point of view of the 1833 spouse, and as such not cheating.

I assume this is pertinent to a specific situation?

37 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

If you might return, then its cheating

Agreed.  If you can't go back then its just "moving on".  Otherwise, cheating.

21 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I lost my pants and my glasses.

That definitely sounds like cheating.

4 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

You know in your butt's heart that love is real only for those who kiss, not those who time-travel for the purposes of bigamy.

:dying:   Take my pen, which is my "sword" and place it in my heart's butt.

Ah. Ok. I maintain that the best Outlander episode was the pilot, and I would have happily watched the show about two alienated people wandering around Scotland in the 1940s and moodily looking at loches and trying to decide if their marriage is worth saving. They lost me with the time travel.

13 minutes ago, Feologild said:

Ok i am not starting any new thread on this forum as it seems impossible for most of you to answer a simple question.

If you're bouncing back and forth between the two tines (like time travel is as easy as jumping in your car) then it is clearly cheating. Both of your partner's exist in your life on a daily basis if that is the way things work. You don't get off on a technicality insofar as morals and decency are concerned.

I suppose the more pertinent question might be how would you feel if your partner was doing this to you? Would you find it acceptable? Would you buy into the technicality? 

15 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If you're bouncing back and forth between the two tines (like time travel is as easy as jumping in your car) then it is clearly cheating. Both of your partner's exist in your life on a daily basis if that is the way things work. You don't get off on a technicality insofar as morals and decency are concerned.

I suppose the more pertinent question might be how would you feel if your partner was doing this to you? Would you find it acceptable? Would you buy into the technicality? 

Agreed. If you can time travel as casually as you might drive to a hotel, it is definitely cheating. But if you can only travel once, then it is the equivalent of being deceased to your previous spouse and remarrying.

Archived