[Spoilers] EP702 Discussion

Ran

Just saw the episode.

Its feeling more and more a fan service, and as they should since everyone gets a mil a show + CGI. Cersei blows up the sept 2 episodes ago killing many lords, nobility  and smallfork alike and everyone thinks the mad king's daughter is the real danger here? lol

Getting the Dornish to siege KL? lol what the... Jesus did Dorne get a beating this entire series, holy hell

Dorne is already mobilized, just get a raven out there, jeez

They be better off elsewhere in the 7k attacking Lannister strong points to draw Cersei out. Hey lets go after KINGS LANDING. 

All those reach lords should hang for treason. Olenna Tyrell is the lord and there are many other Tyrells waiting to inherit after. 

Lannister is control of half the Kingdom? wait what/?

Cersei is not the Queen, you can put the crown on her head, she sit on the IT but it will all be meaningless 

Curious as to where all those dothrakis are 

10 minutes ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

Just saw the episode.

Its feeling more and more a fan service, and as they should since everyone gets a mil a show + CGI. Cersei blows up the sept 2 episodes ago killing many lords, nobility  and smallfork alike and everyone thinks the mad king's daughter is the real danger here? lol

Getting the Dornish to siege KL? lol what the... Jesus did Dorne get a beating this entire series, holy hell

Dorne is already mobilized, just get a raven out there, jeez

They be better off elsewhere in the 7k attacking Lannister strong points to draw Cersei out. Hey lets go after KINGS LANDING. 

All those reach lords should hang for treason. Olenna Tyrell is the lord and there are many other Tyrells waiting to inherit after. 

Lannister is control of half the Kingdom? wait what/?

Cersei is not the Queen, you can put the crown on her head, she sit on the IT but it will all be meaningless 

Curious as to where all those dothrakis are 

I don't think there are any tyrells left. That's why olenna just wants vengence.  There is no point in trying to further her house since it will die with her. And I agree they are painting over what cersei did. She essentially just destroyed the most holy place for the main religion in the country with the exception of the wall. And killed several families as well. Not to mention how many people that were around there who died. This is beyond annoying. Hot pie mentioned it but that's it.  And randyl tarley all of a sudden deciding to join the people who massacred his liege lord.

6 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I don't think there are any tyrells left. That's why olenna just wants vengence.  There is no point in trying to further her house since it will die with her. And I agree they are painting over what cersei did. She essentially just destroyed the most holy place for the main religion in the country with the exception of the wall. And killed several families as well. Not to mention how many people that were around there who died. This is beyond annoying. Hot pie mentioned it but that's it.  And randyl tarley all of a sudden deciding to join the people who massacred his liege lord.

Those Reach lords should be hanged for even showing up. How quick they turn coat when the sept, corpses and carnage all over on display. Might as well take selfies with all your comrades. 

Yea thats the show's jist. But there's a handful of Tyrells to pick up the mantle. Show doesn't cover the background Tyrells, but after all, Olenna is a Redwyne. Pissing off the Redwynes and Hightowers that have the might of a single kingdom should deter these treasonous lords.

10 episodes, no new characters, production costs $$$ and its just going to be Poor little Olenna left to go out swinging... 

They have dishonored and ruined the prestige of their houses.

What is Baelish up to?

Is he trying to antagonise Jon in order to make fuel the rivalry between him and Sansa? I'm not liking Sansa just now, wondering if she is acting under the influence (even if unknowingly) of Littlefinger?

While many seem to be of the opinion that Jon shouldn't go meet Dany, I disagree due to several factors...

First, Jon has seen and fought, and killed an Other.  Sam is semi-indisposed, he would be a likely envoy to bring that message to Daenerys too, but Jon should go absent Samwell, Edd is busy at CB, but Jon should coordinate with them to send a raven to Dragonstone requesting aid.  That would put some pressure on Dany, their would-be ruler to hear their side of things before offering oaths of fealty.  Jon will bend the knee because he has no IT ambition, but I suspect he'll have conditions of his own to shed the KitN title, something about Starks always in Winterfell maybe.  But Jon needs to fully explain the threat if need be, that'd be a huge knowledge dump to give an envoy and even then some details could be forgotten or omitted, etc.  The weight of having your greatest representative go to request aid or an alliance shows desperation sure, but it also speaks to the severity of the situation if he will go despite concern for his personal safety.

Two, Tyrion. If you work through it, Dany is one of if not the only strong ally the North can make.  Why would Tyrion who allegedly killed Tywin, Joffrey and thought to have been behind Bran's assassin, ally with Dany when his sister sits the throne?  Tyrion knows tensions are exploded between Lannister & Stark, but he has been innocent of wronging Starks, Sansa can verify and has.  Tyrion was empathetic to Mormont's plight from his time at the Wall.  It has risks, but it also represents one of Jon's best opportunities since Stannis in getting real aid for the NW.

The North and Jon in the same sense need an ally who is strong enough to actually take the throne.  Thusfar the IT has ignored/refused all legit requests for aid, Cersei has been behind all of those refusals,, post Robert.  What would bending the knee to Cersei change for Jon in that respect?  She has wildfyre but not sure if Jon knows this, while Dany has dragons and that he does know.

Of course we need drama among the Northern houses due to LF, but once his arc is reached its zenith, there is little tension in the north reestablishing those strong ties they present from episode 1 of the series.

Don't mind some of the fan service because I suspect some aren't going to be around much longer... Obara and Nym gone so far, plenty more to come!

Seems as though the show is setting up a division of North and East for Dany, South and West for Cersei.  Dorne has no leader past Ellaria, seems late to intro a new one now, so I suspect Dorne just won't mobilize, they're done.  That leaves the Tyrell split army and the westerlands.  The North aren't mobilizing to come south.  The Vale army is a wildcard.  Dany holds the East.

Makes things neater and gives Euron some purpose outside harrassing Dany's remaining fleet.  

15 minutes ago, RedShirt47 said:

What is Baelish up to?

Is he trying to antagonise Jon in order to make fuel the rivalry between him and Sansa? I'm not liking Sansa just now, wondering if she is acting under the influence (even if unknowingly) of Littlefinger?

He'll drop knowledge about Lyanna and Jon's lineage along with the notion that his alliance with Dany proves he's not so much a Stark, that Sansa has to take control, even using Jon's mistakes during the battle of Winterfell.  This is LF's moment to seize, but I think he over extends himself this time...

With the story reaching the end, it is time to start speculation on who will kill Cersei.

Maggy The Frog's prophecy states it will be a Volonqar, i believe by strangulation.

The scene in the painted table room regarding the non-gender nouns and TPTWP proph ties to this, but could be a red herring on both fronts.

Choices for Volonqar are dropping off the board but here are the finalists in my view:

1. Arya: too obvious

2. Tyrion: again too obvious

3.  Euron: could be a clever answer if he cant marry the throne he will pay the iton price for it

4. Sansa: Nope

5: The Hound: going wrong direction

6: JAIME LANNISTER.  He is the youngest twin and has killed a king for the good of the realm. A couple seasons took him over to being a good guy but he has slipped backwards to badness following myrcellas death.  This  would be impactful and surprising.  The Scorpions kills the dragons, Danys army is split to aide Jon and victory is within Cerseis reach.  Jamie sees the dark end and chokes another Monarch out for the good of the kingdom. Assumes the throne sends troops to assist with the WW invasion

OR

MORE SATISFYING

Arya dispatches Jamie, takes his identity, and Chokes her out during sexytime.  A 2 for 1

2 hours ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

those reach lords should hang for treason. Olenna Tyrell is the lord and there are many other Tyrells waiting to inherit after

Actually Olenna has no right to rule the Reach. She is not a Tyrell. Just as Cersei is not rightful queen Olenna is not the rightful ruler of Reach. 

1 hour ago, ummester said:

All you have to do is get the dragon to fly at the bolt.

Hire a Dornish FM Spear throwing expert, Incite violence with a mob of peasants while they're are changed up or have a maester poison them. And of course, the dragon binder.

9 hours ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

Hire a Dornish FM Spear throwing expert, Incite violence with a mob of peasants while they're are changed up or have a maester poison them. And of course, the dragon binder.

:D

But seriously, do you know how Maassai take out lions? One acts as bait and get's the other to chase it towards one standing their ground with a spear - the lion runs into the spear, providing most of the force, and impales itself.

All Jamie or someone has to do is hide the giant crossbow thing behind a target the dragon is flying towards and then, when the dragons forward motion is too great to change, release a bolt.

But when the Maester says that treatment is risky and that's why it's forbidden what does he mean? Risky? What's supposed to be worse than this malady?

Risky for the Maester, and probably a lot of people in the vicinity, too. He doesn't care (much) whether the patient would risk it.

Loving Jim Broadbent in this role by the way, almost makes up for all the cringe. Almost.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:24 PM, Holly Macaroni said:

didn't arya say "it's not her", implying it wasn't nymeria?

It was nymeria and Arya knew it. She said "that's not you" about Nymeria going back to the life of a court wolf. Much like her own answer to her father when he said she needed to learn to be a court lady. 

"That's not me."

59 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

It was nymeria and Arya knew it. She said "that's not you" about Nymeria going back to the life of a court wolf. Much like her own answer to her father when he said she needed to learn to be a court lady. 

"That's not me."

yeah, so i've been told.

I think it's a bit stretched to expect us to connect the dots on that one.

On 7/24/2017 at 9:17 AM, LordImp said:

Actually Olenna has no right to rule the Reach. She is not a Tyrell. Just as Cersei is not rightful queen Olenna is not the rightful ruler of Reach. 

You mean Lady Olenna Tyrell?

yeah. Totally a Tyrell. 

Edit: I forgot that she was born a Redwyne.  My bad. Show just has the character listed as Olenna Tyrell. 

Edited by Lurid Jester
Book vs Show

3 hours ago, Holly Macaroni said:

yeah, so i've been told.

I think it's a bit stretched to expect us to connect the dots on that one.

I don't know about that. I didn't realize it called back to a particular scene in season 1, but it seemed obvious to me that she was acknowledging that Nymeria couldn't be a pet.

It all fell into the "you're a dire wolf and your place is the wild... I'm a stark and my place is winterfell".

Again it seems obvious to me, but Individial experiences will vary. :)