so is that the only time we will see nymeria?

snow is the man

I fear that they put that scene in to tie up a "loose end"

I hope that they put that scene in to remind viewers that Nymeria was still out there .... before her triumphant appearance in The Final Battle to save the day :) 

5 hours ago, Essan said:

I hope that they put that scene in to remind viewers that Nymeria was still out there .... before her triumphant appearance in The Final Battle to save the day :) 

well, she'll return, that's for sure. They don't "waste" cgi on direwolves unless they have an important part in the endgame which they have to write because it's the ending they have always known.

6 hours ago, Essan said:

To remind viewers and also that newer viewers who may not have seen the early episodes will not be confused as to who/what the wolf is when the wolf reappears.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

well, she'll return, that's for sure. They don't "waste" cgi on direwolves unless they have an important part in the endgame which they have to write because it's the ending they have always known.

My guess that she will save Arya from some doom.

My prediction : Nymeria rejected Arya because she's not a stark anymore after her life as an assassin, her arrival to Winterfell will revive her starkness and Nymeria will return to her, so yes I think that we will see Nymeria again, and the stark sisters are the only people that will survive the whole story

I definitely do not think this is the last we will see of Nymeria. I think this meeting was drenched in meaning - Arya realizes that Nymeria is a feral direwolf who can never return to a domesticated life and neither can she. However, I believe that Nymeria will be back. She might not be Arya's pet anymore, but Arya saved her life - I think somehow she knows that. Arya protected her from Cersei, and I think when it comes down to it, Nymeria (hopefully with her badass wolf army) will return the favor.

If I'm being completely honest, I keep picturing Arya having an awesome wolf army (with Nymeria) to help fight in the upcoming battle (come on, how AWESOME would that be?!). Dragons, bears and wolves - YES. I don't see Arya staying back during the big battle at all, she will absolutely contribute like the fierce warrior she is.

If you want to read more about what we think the scene with Nymeria means, check out our post: 'Game of Thrones': What Does the Reunion with Nymeria Mean for Arya's Future?

On 25.7.2017 at 6:17 AM, Lothar said:

Does anyone think that line works if they don't remember this specific line from Season 1?  Even then, it's so awkward and unnatural sounding.  Arya should have said nothing at all.  

If Nymeria isn't shown again, then I'd say this was incredibly pointless and a waste of time.  Why show her at all if it's just to say she has no feelings for Arya?  Ok, nice to see you too Nymeria.  

I mean, other shows (Futurama for instance) are lauded for showing obscure callbacks to earlier seasons. It is a bit harsh to critize this scene because people might not remember the context.

I have to admit that I didn't remember that either, and I took the scene as Arya realizing that she can't go north either, and is going south to kill Cercei - and she was speaking to her self as much as to Nymeria, but after reading Thor Odinsons post, I see that my inital thoughts are probably wrong. :)

I wasn't much of a fan of this scene. OK, so Nymeria isn't a pet, but I don't think Arya was asking her to act like one. I saw it more like asking an old friend for join her in doing something that was very important to her. And Nymeria herself is from the north, so it seems appropriate for her to return eventually. I'm probably applying book logic to the show too much here, but it still feels wrong to have the connection between Arya and Nymeria almost non-existent. If anyone should have a wolf, it's Arya.

8 hours ago, elmis said:

I mean, other shows (Futurama for instance) are lauded for showing obscure callbacks to earlier seasons. It is a bit harsh to critize this scene because people might not remember the context.

I have to admit that I didn't remember that either, and I took the scene as Arya realizing that she can't go north either, and is going south to kill Cercei - and she was speaking to her self as much as to Nymeria, but after reading Thor Odinsons post, I see that my inital thoughts are probably wrong. :)

But I don't think it works at all other than that it's a callback.  If a person was reuniting with someone they hadn't seen in 6 years, and were instantly rejected, I doubt anyone's response would be "That's not you." It's a line that only works if you realize that a writer is trying to do a callback to a line from 6 years ago. It's not a natural thing for her to say. It's a writer trying too hard to be clever rather that writing a natural scene.  Do you disagree?

4 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

I wasn't much of a fan of this scene. OK, so Nymeria isn't a pet, but I don't think Arya was asking her to act like one. I saw it more like asking an old friend for join her in doing something that was very important to her. And Nymeria herself is from the north, so it seems appropriate for her to return eventually. I'm probably applying book logic to the show too much here, but it still feels wrong to have the connection between Arya and Nymeria almost non-existent. If anyone should have a wolf, it's Arya.

Agreed, it's fine for her not to want to be a pet but I don't see why Nymeria would have zero feelings about her.  Unless they were trying to say that Arya has become a emotionless assassin or "no one" but that doesn't jive with anything else she did this episode.  Such as abandoning her revenge mission to go see Jon. If that's what they wanted us to believe, then Arya should have killed Ed Sheeran in the last episode.  Then I could maybe see why Nymeria wanted nothing to do with her. 

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Nymeria and her pack will likely have a role in the final season, when the NK and the wights come South of the Wall.

yep, andt that's why they reminded the casual viewers with this scene of her existance

I agree with most posters here, they reintroduced her while most casual viewers and people who haven't read the books wouldn't have an effing clue who "Nymeria" was if you asked them, so she has to serve a purpose, especially considering the costs of the CGI that is needed to bring her on the screen. She'll most probably save Arya from a White Walker or a pack of wights in season 8, and will die in the process.

1 hour ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

I agree with most posters here, they reintroduced her while most casual viewers and people who haven't read the books wouldn't have an effing clue who "Nymeria" was if you asked them, so she has to serve a purpose, especially considering the costs of the CGI that is needed to bring her on the screen. She'll most probably save Arya from a White Walker or a pack of wights in season 8, and will die in the process.

Or the end of a dream of spring has Jon warg into Ghost and Arya into Nymeria and they head off into the forrest together.

I think the scene also calls back to a similar scene between Danaeris and Drogon in Season 5, when she was feeling lost and alone in Meereen. Drogon came and perched on top of the Great Pyramid, right above Dany, but wouldn't let her touch him when she reached out, and then flew off. The next time we saw him (aside from flying over Valyria) was when he swooped in to save her at the end of the season. Since Nymeria has been gone since early in Season 1, there was no reason to bring her back just to tie up loose ends (there was no need, and if you tie up every loose end, it feels too neat to viewers) so I definitely think there's more to come with her. She's been put back on the board as a future resource for Team Stark, and now if she appears, it won't be completely out of nowhere.

It may be that its just too expensive to the do the cgi, they said this for ghost in the battle of the bastards its was either wun wun or ghost and the 'dog' lost. So this is a good way of getting nymeria out of the way as she cant be left hanging so to speak.

Archived