[Spoilers] Rant and Rave with Impunity

In spite of the last scene being the best part of the episode in my opinion,there so much things about it that doesn't make sense. How the hell are the Greyjoy soldiers fighting each other suppose to tell which guy is on which side, especially when you are in the heat of combat in the middle of the night and the only light source there is coming from explosions and fire. Same thing with the ships given that they bear the same banner, how did they not manage to accidentally hit an allied Greyjoy ship? Also did nobody on Yara's side notice Euron's fleet before they attacked? 

Didn't like :

• Reek
  • Grey worm/messandei filler
  • The chessy dialogues 
  • the absence of Bran stark

Liked :

• The ambush of Euron
  • Nymeria and Hotpie
  • Finally Jon and Daenerys
  • Melisandre the goddess (happy that D&D didn't throw her under the bus)
  • Sansa getting her place as the wardeness of the north

Probably the dumbest thing I can think of in the episode was Jorah having a sword in his cell (or whatever you want to call it) in the Citadel. They know he's infected with greyscale, they know that he's going to lose his mind (as happens to individuals suffering from the disease) and they know that he was a knight who could easily kill most of them (if not with his sword then certainly by infection), and yet they didn't confiscate his weapon. They didn't even post a guard by the door.

wait, I thought these threads was just to rant and rave since there's always a thread about what we liked...

anyway,

the dialogue is so horrible, so dumbed down most of the time 
sandra having a hissy fit over dany was annoying as hell. it's like suddenly everyone forgets what they're fighting for. isn't against the WW? all the time they have to question jon's rational decisions. they have no one, they need to fight the WW and dany has three freaking dragons plus is sitting on a pile of dragon glass. what's so hard to understand?

can sandra just die already? I see no point for her character at all. the writers ruined what they had and it's like they have no idea what to do with her. she's just there to be the "independent woman" who questions the king in the north every chance she gets?

on another note, when bran gets to winterfell, I wonder how they're going to do now that the true lord of winterfell is there. who am I kidding, I bet they won't even mention

missandei and grey worm sex. no one cares.

Don't like the focus on Greyworm and Messandei story. It's nice but who cares? it's a total distraction from an already very detailed story.

Could care less about Yara's sex life and it isn't consistent with the book. Could care less about the Dornish invasion of Yara's pants but hey it gets the ratings up right?

Already really tired of everyone wearing black. I get that Cersei and Oleana are mourning but does every character have to wear solid, unadorned black now? I mean wtf? I know winter is here and all but that means all the beautiful costumes that were such a huge part of the show suddenly get tossed and everyone wears military black? phhhhht! Sansa is wearing all black, which even in the north she has not done before. Daenerys is wearing all black which she also has not done before. Messandei too?? yeah Dragonstone is cold, wear some navy blue or brown or something okay?

This last bit of rant is on the high end scholarly level so please feel free to ignore. But in terms of literary devices I am not thrilled with the way the Freudian manner of men and women sharing power is presented. According to 20th century notions women and men can't share power and GOT repeats that by having women in power and a bunch of castrated men. That is sick and wrong. According to Freud and a gaggle of writers, when women have power, men get body parts cut off. I say bs. But this is the work of the author who is following established writing norms and it isn't changing.

3 minutes ago, Nami said:

wait, I thought these threads was just to rant and rave since there's always a thread about what we liked...

anyway,

the dialogue is so horrible, so dumbed down most of the time 
sandra having a hissy fit over dany was annoying as hell. it's like suddenly everyone forgets what they're fighting for. isn't against the WW? all the time they have to question jon's rational decisions. they have no one, they need to fight the WW and dany has three freaking dragons plus is sitting on a pile of dragon glass. what's so hard to understand?

can sandra just die already? I see no point for her character at all. the writers ruined what they had and it's like they have no idea what to do with her. she's just there to "powerful woman" who questions the king in the north every chance she gets?

on another note, when bran gets to winterfell, I wonder how they're going to do now that the true lord of winterfell is there. who am I kiddin, I bet they won't even mention

I agree sansa should be more respectful at least in front of people. However he should have told her what was happening before the meeting. Three days earlier he said no I'm not going and then does a complete 180 without telling her. And I am not a sansa lover.

5 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I agree sansa should be more respectful at least in front of people. However he should have told her what was happening before the meeting. Three days earlier he said no I'm not going and then does a complete 180 without telling her. And I am not a sansa lover.

he doesn't really need to tell her anything
I guess to keep her relevant to the story he should tell her. that's how irrelevant she is because naturally he has no obligation to tell her crap.

on another note, interesting how they're mentioning Rhaegar every change they get now

the audience clearly doesn't understand who he is and where he fits in all this because of awful exposure from previous seasons, so now they need to say his name all the time because he's jon's daddy

The two worst scenes were Sam being an idiot, and the 1000 ship stealth fleet. Oh and I suppose Yara being dumb enough to have her ship completely unprotected too. The make her horribly incompetent in order to make Euron seem like a badass. Oh, and I guess no poison blades this time so Euron will be fine.

* Dick-less Sex Scene. Does it warrant so much screentime?

* Plastic face *empowered* Dany. I hate Emilia Clark's 'acting'

* So after all this time, now Dany questions Vary's loyalty. She should have asked all these questions the moment he showed up at her door in Mereen.

* Yara did not have a anyone looking out for an ambush while she was busy getting naughty with Ellaria.

* Arya-Hotpie scene was too cold and emotion-less. Is she also having the same multi-personality disorder as Sansa?

The show is on fast-forward mode. Things are happening way too fast. It would feel like Westeros is the size of a small county.

What I liked:

* Got rid of 2 sand snakes. I might cheer for Euron for that deed alone. Now we've got 2 more to go (I am guessing thats for Ep 3)

* Battle scene was pretty good (even though it did not make much sense)

47 minutes ago, ser jaime canister said:

Probably the dumbest thing I can think of in the episode was Jorah having a sword in his cell (or whatever you want to call it) in the Citadel. They know he's infected with greyscale, they know that he's going to lose his mind (as happens to individuals suffering from the disease) and they know that he was a knight who could easily kill most of them (if not with his sword then certainly by infection), and yet they didn't confiscate his weapon. They didn't even post a guard by the door.

I did not notice it until you mentioned it. You are right, it's like if you are allowed to keep a gun when you are admitted in an asylum.

54 minutes ago, Bishop Cruz said:

The two worst scenes were Sam being an idiot, and the 1000 ship stealth fleet. Oh and I suppose Yara being dumb enough to have her ship completely unprotected too. The make her horribly incompetent in order to make Euron seem like a badass. Oh, and I guess no poison blades this time so Euron will be fine.

Well, let's be fair here, they've portrayed the Ironborn as completely incompetent since their debut.

They run from dogs, they can't kill a topless dude, they elect their leader based on who tells the best dick jokes, Yara being too thirsty to remember to have someone in the crow's nest looking out for this sort of shit is, sadly, consistent with the show's portrayal of the Ironborn as Keystone Kop Vikings.

Now if you want to rant and rave about the Ironborn being made Jabronies all this time, by all means (and I'm with you).  But that's a separate issue.

Euron is well on his way to becoming the new "shirtless Ramsey and his 20 good men" meme. He somehow, in the dark, found an enemy fleet that he did not know would be there, while himself avoiding detection, crushed what I assume was the entire Iron Fleet in a few minutes, not to mention managed to find the ship on which the SS, Yara, Theon were all on, and challenge them each in turn. But it's ok. Not only did he make it so a couple of SS can hurt us no more, he captured Ellaria, and will presumably hand her over to Cersei (who knows that Ellaria poisoned Myrcella and will come up with a fitting punishment).

What an episode! I guess the showrunners decided to feast the eyes of every greyjoy, sandsnake, and missandei+grey worm fans with this episode.

Also, I know I already talked about it, but this was really what killed it for me:

If even Hot Pie knows Cersei blew up the Sept, how come no one did anything about it? "Blind faith to the king" doesn't cut it, because they crowned her afterwards.

Stormy Dragonstone is stormy.  It is fairly ridiculous for the conversation between Varys and Daenerys to happen now – better to have had this last season. 

This and the scene with Melisandre: So.  Much. Exposition. So. Much. Fan-Service.  

So - Qyburn's working on a giant bow (hello, Tolkien) – no-one ever thought of one of those before?  Really?

Tyrion speaks and they all nod like little nodding dogs. 

MissWorm sexytimes - such a waste of screen time.

Over to the Citadel.  "Possibly something a bit more poetic." – like A Song of Ice and Fire?  So predictable.

Close-ups of pus transitioning to close-up of pie filling.  What is wrong with these writers?

I looked forward to seeing Arya and Hot Pie, and yet they managed to turn that into a cold, exposition fest too.  She had more to say to and more smiles for the Lannister soldiers than Hot Pie.

Another scene of Sandra being an arse but funny how she stops complaining about Jon going to Dragonstone when he leaves her in charge.  Lots of stupid, significant looks are exchanged.  There’s just no subtlety in this writing.  And I can’t even be bothered with the stupidity of LF goading Jon in the crypts.

I did get chills when Arya came face to face with Nymeria – but the SFX were really quite poor, which is a shame.  There seems little point in doing this scene to reintroduce Nymeria unless she and her pack reappear later in the series, maybe season 8? (Probably just so D&D can kill her off.) 

WHERE IS GHOST?

More Sand Snake excrement.  Okay, it’s possible I might have given a little squeak of approval to the two Sand Snakes dying.  Does this make me a bad person? :lol:

I don't really understand how a ship that big can sneak up on another unless there's heavy fog, which there wasn't.  Why do they always have to break a viewer's suspension of disbelief?  Euron is another incarnation of Ramsay - so dull.

I’m not sure what I think about Theon charging into the fray to fight, and then becoming Reek again.  Not really believable for me.

Perhaps disbelief is the theme for this ep.

1 hour ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Well, let's be fair here, they've portrayed the Ironborn as completely incompetent since their debut.

They run from dogs, they can't kill a topless dude, they elect their leader based on who tells the best dick jokes, Yara being too thirsty to remember to have someone in the crow's nest looking out for this sort of shit is, sadly, consistent with the show's portrayal of the Ironborn as Keystone Kop Vikings.

Now if you want to rant and rave about the Ironborn being made Jabronies all this time, by all means (and I'm with you).  But that's a separate issue.

Yes; I was wondering why, when Yara knows the uncle who wants to murder her and Theon is out there and possibly has at least a few ships, she doesn't post a lookout or two in her own ships' crows' nests, plus a backup plan involving fiery arrows or something else that's fast and lethal in an ambush...Wouldn't Yara have had some spies or informants back home to let her know that Euron had sailed south?

I still remember how embarrassing it looked for Yara and her men to stand around and not shoot at shirtless Ramsay as he preened and cackled at them from 20 ft. or less away from them.

Archived