[Spoilers] Rant and Rave with Impunity

16 minutes ago, TheSerb said:

Wait, the super secret way to cure this supposedly uncurable disease is to just scrub it off with a trowel and apply ointment?

my guess is that it is very easy for the person doing the procedure to get it. Maybe sam breaths it in or something. Or maybe it is because of how painful it was. I think there is something we weren't seeing because it was forbidden. I think sam is gonna catch grey scale from this.

I like the idea, that now int he end, the 100 single subplots slowly converge. Maybe the first time some of the actors actually meet at the set since season one. ;)

I just don't like it how they do it. What is actually left of the characters I once loved.

I especially disliked the following:

- stupid dialogues of Dany and friends. Looked forward to that moment for many many years, but the show managed to unimpress me. Especially "If you betray me, I will burn you alive." What are you. 15? The spider knows what you can do and so does the audience. I liked the idea though, that Casterly Rock might be taken by Tyrion. We have seen the Lannisters last episode. They are all nice and soft and send their money home to their beloved mothers. Shouldn't be a problem for the Unsullied, should it? Well, unless it's a singing competition.

- Qyburn developed a super secret ... siege engine. Funny thing, the Romans developed exactly the same thing, because they thought that, even in a world without dragons, this would be a great addition to the battlefield. I guess Westeros is a bit slow when it comes to those things. A pity though. When C and Q went into the basement and we saw all those Dragon Bones... and when I remembered Undead-Mountain... for a short time I thought he would say something like "Yeah. All those Dragons... they are dead. Right? They are all dead.... or.... ARE THEY???" >DUN DUN DUUUUUN< And then in a couple of episodes we would have some undead Dragons in the sky. But alas... the show disappoints again.

-  Is there such a thing like "a surprising sea battle"? I know such things from military encounters on land, and I am pretty sure the same happens with navies. I can imagine that at some point in the night half a dozen people in half a dozen crow's nests suddenly yell and hundreds of sailors and soldiers fall out of their bunks and then a bloody sea battle takes place, because there are enemy ships all around you, while the enemy are exactly in the same situaton. Can happen in the darkness or while it's misty. No problem with that. But when one side is prepared, then they knew where their enemies fleet was and here my problems begin. The whole idea of that just disgusts me. Its like everything else in this show. Without any logic or mindful reason behind anything ... people know things and... and stuff happens.

- Hotpie knows that Cercei blew up the Septa? How did he manage that. Who else knows. Everyone? There is still such a thing as "legitimacy". And what do they people of King Landing think about that. Didn't they pose a threat to the crown just a couple of episodes ago? Then some building explodes and the problem is gone? And the nobles? Do they think it's a good idea to crown that killer? Is she a wise choice, even for a bunch of murderous bastards. What do they think their chances are.

Why do I write this? Why do I even bother about this show anymore...?

- why TF is the show for 3 seasons in row making Littlefinger acting like a complete idiot?!???! Ever since they ran out of book material in LF's case, he acts like the biggest fool. Season 1 - Season 4 until Lysa's murder = master schemer. Since Lysa's murder onward = idiot. Not discussing Lysa's murder with Sansa prior to being interrogated by the lords? Destroying the regained trust of Sansa by saying  that he wants to f*** her? Admitting his desire for Sansa to Jon? :bang: I'm so done with this bs. I really don't know how I could expect an intelligent conversation between Jon and LF this episode with LF revealing Jon's true parents to Jon. :bang: sorry for the rant.

- Greyworm and Missandei. 5 minutes of screen time completely wasted.

- Yara and Ellaria. Was this really necessary? :rolleyes:

- That discussion between SS. I'm glad there won't be no similar discussions anymore.

A few things:

1.Does anybody in Westeros post sentries or lookouts? First you have Ramsay's 20 good men just casually strolling into Stannis’ camp. And then the Vale Army just strolls into the North and Ramsay doesn’t notice them. And now Euron’s fleet just sneaks right up on Yara’s fleet. And Yara doesn’t even know about any fleet being near hers until it is literally right on top of her fleet. Maybe Yara would have posted sentries, but she was too busy playing grab ass with Ellaria.

2. Why do we have to deal with GreySandei? Even granting that whole thing is even remotely interesting, which it isn’t, why so much time devoted to a sex scene between them? What a waste of time, particularly when there isn’t many episodes left. D & D waste too much time on crap, like literally crap as in Sam’s scenes last week.

3. Tyrion’s plan to send the Unsullied to Casterly Rock is mind numbingly dumb. But, I guess the Unsullied will be able to waltz right into Lannister territory without anyone noticing.

4. So Dany has finally come to the conclusion that Varys might be a bit shady?  I guess better late then never. And then she says, “I'll burn you if you betray me.” Well, glad she cleared that up. Can’t have Varys going around thinking the price for treason is being given a stern talking to, being grounded for a day, and sent to bed without dessert.

5. So Qyburn’s big super secret dragon killer is a giant crossbow? Hmm, it must have taken him years to think that one up.

6. Olenna telling Dany to be “a Dragon”. While I guess that’s meant to be empowering and uplifting, it’s not very practical or helpful advice to solve Dany’s problem of taking the IT, while not needlessly killing a bunch of innocent people. But, hey, I guess Dany can go around like Howard Turkstra saying, “That’s why my buddies in my car club call me ‘the dragon’…….”

7. I guess it was nice that Jon showed he had faith in Sandra’s abilities, but then it seems like Sandra’s reaction was something like, “Oh, you didn’t say you were leaving me in charge, here let me help you pack………..”

8. Arya’s encounters with Hot Pie and Big Nyms were underwhelming, unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

- why TF is the show for 3 seasons in row making Littlefinger acting like a complete idiot?!???! Ever since they ran out of book material in LF's case, he acts like the biggest fool. Season 1 - Season 4 until Lysa's murder = master schemer. Since Lysa's murder onward = idiot. Not discussing Lysa's murder with Sansa prior to being interrogated by the lords? Destroying the regained trust of Sansa by saying  that he wants to f*** her? Admitting his desire for Sansa to Jon? :bang: I'm so done with this bs. I really don't know how I could expect an intelligent conversation between Jon and LF this episode with LF revealing Jon's true parents to Jon. :bang: sorry for the rant.

- Greyworm and Missandei. 5 minutes of screen time completely wasted.

- Yara and Ellaria. Was this really necessary? :rolleyes:

- That discussion between SS. I'm glad there won't be no similar discussions anymore.

that discussion between SS who is that?

When did littlefinger earn her turst back. If you mean after the vale that makes no sense because she didn't trust him but needed him at the time

19 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

- why TF is the show for 3 seasons in row making Littlefinger acting like a complete idiot?!???! Ever since they ran out of book material in LF's case, he acts like the biggest fool.

Littlefinger? It's everyone. Did you not notice? The moment the writers leave the books and have to develop their own plots, the characters get stupid. That goes for every single character. The whole show doesn't make sense anymore.

My personal idea is, that the writers were bad even in the beginning. They just had a good source to work with and that's why noone noticed.

- also: I laughed at how clueless Varys is when it comes to Jon being KITN. So much for his little birds...

4 hours ago, ser jaime canister said:

Probably the dumbest thing I can think of in the episode was Jorah having a sword in his cell (or whatever you want to call it) in the Citadel. They know he's infected with greyscale, they know that he's going to lose his mind (as happens to individuals suffering from the disease) and they know that he was a knight who could easily kill most of them (if not with his sword then certainly by infection), and yet they didn't confiscate his weapon. They didn't even post a guard by the door.

Mess, I haven't even noticed. Maybe they just him have sword so he can fall on it and they don't have to take care of him. (sarcasm, ofc)

1 hour ago, Wut Wut said:

A huuge threat at sea no-one oddly noticed coming and Theon floating on debris afterward, what that scene really needed was a Celine Dion soundtrack.

:lol: This line is the best thing that came from that episode.

2 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

that discussion between SS who is that?

When did littlefinger earn her turst back. If you mean after the vale that makes no sense because she didn't trust him but needed him at the time

SS = Sand Snakes. I hope that's what you were asking about.

When LF and Sansa talk in S06E10 in Winterfell in the wood/garden (sorry, I can't remember the English word for it), Sansa seems like she trusts him again, that she considers him a true ally. Then he talks about that picture and Sansa's been very cold to him ever since, clearly she doesn't even want to talk to him.

5 minutes ago, twilight said:

Littlefinger? It's everyone. Did you not notice? The moment the writers leave the books and have to develop their own plots, the characters get stupid. That goes for every single character. The whole show doesn't make sense anymore.

My personal idea is, that the writers were bad even in the beginning. They just has a good source to work with and that's why noone noticed.

Yes, it's everyone, you're right ofc. I mean, you have characters like Sansa on the show... But to me it's so painfully obvious with Littlefinger who was The Player in the early seasons. He set the war in motion with betraying Ned, telling Catelyn that it was Tyrion's dagger and possibly sending the assassin after Bran (not confirmed neither in show, nor in books, but I'm 100% sure it was LF) and then he poisoned the king while still being considered a friend of the Crown. And now he walks around Winterfell making mistakes with every single line he says. That transformation from player to idiot is just too much. When it comes to other characters, the change isn't that drastic, I think.

Oh, and... uhm... I know wrong topic. But nevertheless.

What I liked about this episode:

2 Sandsnakes are dead!! They are dead!! Okay, people return from the dead every other episode, but we can hope they won't.

That compensates for a many bad dialogues and bad writing this episode.

One to go...

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Yes, it's everyone, you're right ofc. I mean, you have characters like Sansa on the show... But to me it's so painfully obvious with Littlefinger who was The Player in the early seasons. He set the war in motion with betraying Ned, telling Catelyn that it was Tyrion's dagger and possibly sending the assassin after Bran (not confirmed neither in show, nor in books, but I'm 100% sure it was LF) and then he poisoned the king while still being considered a friend of the Crown. And now he walks around Winterfell making mistakes with every single line he says. That transformation from player to idiot is just too much. When it comes to other characters, the change isn't that drastic, I think.

I know what you mean. Yes, Littlefinger is a hard case, first of all because of his impact on the story. But the inconsistancies are everywhere. For me they destroyed Brienne, Jamie, Arya, Varys, Tyrion. And I am not even talking about Book-Show-Conversion. I'm just talking about how those characters began in the show and how they are now. Each one of those characters I loved, and now I trained myself not to think about their plots anymore, because that would be a waste of time. And actually there is even more, like Dany, LF, the Watch and a lot more I guess. But it hurt with the former ones more. The are all remarkably bad now. :)

1 minute ago, twilight said:

I know what you mean. Yes, Littlefinger is a hard case, first of all because of his impact on the story. But the inconsistancies are everywhere. For me they destroyed Brienne, Jamie, Arya, Varys, Tyrion. And I am not even talking about Book-Show-Conversion. I'm just talking about how those characters began in the show and how they are now. Each one of those characters I loved, and now I trained myself not to think about their plots anymore, because that would be a waste of time. And actually there is even more, like Dany, LF, the Watch and a lot more I guess. But it hurt with the former ones more. The are all remarkably bad now. :)

I'd say that Jaime is quite fine. Varys is quite fine too, although some of his actions are a bit questionable. Tyrion is annoying with that hero mode full on. They are clearly clueless what to do with Arya. The same thing goes for Brienne who does nothing. The main problem I have with Dany is how inconsistent she is with her emotions or the way she treats people. In this episode's first scene, she is rather cold, hard and calculating, uncompromising, a conqueror, she wants the power, she wants the throne, she won't stop before anything. Then she accuses Varys of treason, Varys tells her off, she suddenly backs off. Later she plans the conquest of Westeros, followed by a "grandma, tell me a story". I can't really explain it, but I really don't like this about Dany...

2 hours ago, Wut Wut said:

A huuge threat at sea no-one oddly noticed coming and Theon floating on debris afterward, what that scene really needed was a Celine Dion soundtrack.

:D 

'love can cum but one time' Theon thinks of Ros, back when he still had his penis.

I still have to rant and rave about Arya - her character is really pissing me off. How can she just be Arya again after being a faceless man? I didn't mind the rest of the episode - even like Nymeria - but Arya's sudden about face, after 2 seasons of training makes me cranky.

I didn't mind the Missandei Grey Worm story, I just really dislike how it was written just like every other generic love story we've seen on TV. They could have taken just a little time here and there to explore what a physical relationship for an Unsullied would mean. That he's still a man and needs human contact and intimacy, even if it's not traditionally sexual for him.

So I know the reason the Vale Knights are still in the North is because Littlefinger needs to be in the North, or more specifically, to be with Sansa, but come on! Royce is saying you can't trust a Targaryen, so is he not worried at all that a Targaryen Queen with full-blown dragons has just landed? Dragonstone is frighteningly close to the Vale so maybe they should, you know, go back home? Even if they believe the threat from beyond the Wall is real and pressing, they aren't far by sea from the North, especially Eastwatch. Have them say, Call us when you've got a plan, but until then, we've got this situation at home. We kind of left our Lord unprotected and we should probably do something about that.

1 minute ago, ummester said:

'love can cum but one time' Theon thinks of Ros, back when he still had his penis.

I still have to rant and rave about Arya - her character is really pissing me off. How can she just be Arya again after being a faceless man? I didn't mind the rest of the episode - even like Nymeria - but Arya's sudden about face, after 2 seasons of training makes me cranky.

I actually think D&D attempted, albeit poorly, to show Arya's 'facelessness' when talking to Hot Pie - she didn't care that she just met an old friend, she didn't even look at him and snapped short remarks and only when he mentioned Stark family, she became warm. Arya's storyline is nowhere near as bad as the other ones, I mean just look at power Sansa, who demonstrates that through talking out to a King every chance she gets, then shuts up immediately about the 'danger' when she gets to be in charge

If you want to make a convincing character, you need a background. Every line you choose them to say and each action must come exactly from that background. If that's missing you have just hollow stuff, and it won't fit together. That's whats happening with Dany, with LF, but also with Jamie and others. You recognize that there is no background. It's not only what they say or do, but also what they don't. And at least THAT is consistent with everything else. Why does Hotpie know about Cercei and the septa? Why does everyone always know. Why do armies pop up out of nowhere when needed to defeat someone. Because there is nothing happening in the background. There are just arbitrary decisions what's needed in that moment. And then they give some halfbaked reasons why that is.

I really don't understand why this show is so popular.

1 minute ago, Hear Me Roar!! said:

I actually think D&D attempted, albeit poorly, to show Arya's 'facelessness' when talking to Hot Pie - she didn't care that she just met an old friend, she didn't even look at him and snapped short remarks and only when he mentioned Stark family, she became warm. Arya's storyline is nowhere near as bad as the other ones, I mean just look at power Sansa, who demonstrates that through talking out to a King every chance she gets, then shuts up immediately about the 'danger' when she gets to be in charge

But a man who is no-one declared Arya no-one - her character is breaking a whole religion, it's breaking the logic of the world she inhabits. One does not simply stop being no-one :)

And, even if I accept what you suggest, that Arya is on the start of some kind of redemption - she has already gone too far, she does not deserve redemption. It's not that she took revenge, so much - it's the cruelty of her acts. She gouged a guys eyes out, cooked 2 guys, wore the skin of a third guy - she never had an excuse for the cruelty. Jamie pushed a kid out a window for love - it's not nice, but it wasn't cruel and he had his own twisted excuse - Arya has nothing, she went totally off the deep end.

1 minute ago, ummester said:

I still have to rant and rave about Arya - her character is really pissing me off. How can she just be Arya again after being a faceless man? I didn't mind the rest of the episode - even like Nymeria - but Ary's sudden about face, after 2 seasons of training. Makes me cranky.

She never was "no one" like a true Faceless Man is supposed to be. Arya failed most of the tests by never fully being able to let go of her identity as Arya Stark.

Identity has always been a HUGE part of Arya's character arc. She didn't do a total about face in today's episode at all. Indeed she was quite distant to Hot Pie and her actions in the Inn were VERY reminiscent of the Hound. 

After Hot Pie gave Arya the new information (Jon beating the Boltons, taking back Winterfell and being proclaimed King in the North), Arya was presented with a choice - continue her plan to kill Cersei or reunite with her family in Winterfell. I think Maisie did a fantastic job of conveying the internal conflict within Arya over this decision. She eventually chose to head North and reunite with her family - but that does NOT mean all her deeds are forgotten or she is somehow going to morph into some other person. Arya has always had love for her family and also has shown empathy and compassion to people. This has been shown numerous times throughout the series (and even more in the books). However, Arya is also vengeful and merciless to her enemies. 

The sequence with Nymeria also suggests that settling back into Winterfell and life of just being a Stark will not be easy for Arya. Just as Nymeria will not be tamed and go back to being someone's pet, Arya will likely have a difficult time fitting in and having other people calling the shots.

Archived