[Spoilers] Rant and Rave with Impunity

1 minute ago, ummester said:

She also sided with Lady Crane who damaged the face of the woman who had a hit on her.

She slid her sword slowly into the neck of a man who admittedly slid it slowly into the neck of a child - but there is a difference between just or quick revenge and cruel revenge.

Show Arya has acted as cruel as Ramsay or Joffrey - it's just that people liked her at the start that they are willing to forgive what she has done, which is a bit hypocritical.

Cruel is subjective.

And Arya killing Polliver the same way he killed Lommy imo was not cruel. Also she slid her sword in to him no slower than Brienne did to the third of the three Stark men she killed ("two quick deaths!". Arya's action in killing Polliver was no crueller than Brienne's.

Comparing Arya to the likes of Joffrey or Ramsay who tortured and killed people for pure pleasure whenever they wanted is a huge stretch.

4 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Yeah...

I have a copy of the first draft of the episode:

"Did you read the Wiki about the earlier episodes my queen?"

"Couldn't be stuffed. What happened last season?"

"All of the boring Dorne and Iron Islands stuff."

"Wouldn't it be awesome if we stopped focusing on the deep, rich lore and characters and had a one-dimensional villain portrayed by an over actor?"

"Meh, whatever. Just put some boobs in, it'll rate."

Scene Change

Explosions.

Cut to black.

End.

For real. A first-time viewer could've jumped right in this episode and would've managed to follow the story, with the amount of explanations and recaps. 

1 minute ago, Hear Me Roar!! said:

See this is why I hate that they didn't introduce the Kindly Man from the book - Jaquen from Season 2 is not the same as Jaquen from Season 5/6, Jaquen does not exist. The man who takes his face is no one, the series just made it Jaquen again so that the dumbed Unsullied could correlate the two facts.

I'm with you and even worse is the fact  that they NEVER made it clear that S2 Jaqen and S5 Jaqen were not the same person. So we don't know for sure. And if I don't know, Unsullied viewers certainly wouldn't so for all their dumbing down the story to make it more understandable for Unsullied viewers, they actually made it harder to understand. It would have been so much easier to just introduce a new character.

1 minute ago, The Boastful Knight said:

I'm with you and even worse is the fact  that they NEVER made it clear that S2 Jaqen and S5 Jaqen were not the same person. So we don't know for sure. And if I don't know, Unsullied viewers certainly wouldn't so for all their dumbing down the story to make it more understandable for Unsullied viewers, they actually made it harder to understand. It would have been so much easier to just introduce a new character.

It would but we all know how much D&D like to fan service and the audience really liked the Jaquen from season 2, so hey, why not plot dumb this even more. I still think Arya's scenes are one of the better ones from this Season, I liked the callback to Nymeria despite her appearing only for a plot close unless she shows up in Season 8 (doubtful, we all know how much D&D like direwolves)

But Daenerys, bloody hell don't get me started. I thought I couldn't hate another female character more than Sansa but the lines are just SO BAD. Not sure if its the screenplay or the delivery but she just comes across as too self convinced that she's the good one, shes stale above all. The actress looks amazing, prettiest this season by far and in line with the otherworldy beauty of the books but so what if her characterization straight up sucks right now

Littlefinger - My fucking god what has become of this character. He's just going round telling the most powerful people in the North his desires - What the hell?

I actually have no problem with Sansa's outburst this week. The Targaryan's wouldn't be too far above the Frey's from her POV. She'd have grown up with stories of Aerys' atrocities and Rhaegar's "rape" - I don't mind her recoiling at the notion of an alliance. Also given Dany is transforming into some bizarre well meaning Stannis/Cersei hybrid it may not be a bad thing. 

Emilia Clarke is absolutely atrocious at acting. Not every line has to sound like it's from trailer. People don't talk like that. I think it's affecting the performances of Dinklage and others too. The dialogue is just brutal in comparison to earlier seasons.

Glad to be rid of the Sand Snakes. Enemies of plot and logic. Euron has been redeemed a little.

4 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

Comparing Arya to the likes of Joffrey or Ramsay who tortured and killed people for pure pleasure whenever they wanted is a huge stretch.

I agree with you, but it is a trend among the watchers of many Tv shows, and even worse, in real life, that we are willing to forgive fictional or real people doing things that we would otherwise despise just because we like them. In Arya's case though, she is far from Ramsey, but not the honorouble saint that her father was, as well, although that is understandable. 

7 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

Cruel is subjective.

And Arya killing Polliver the same way he killed Lommy imo was not cruel. Also she slid her sword in to him no slower than Brienne did to the third of the three Stark men she killed ("two quick deaths!". Arya's action in killing Polliver was no crueller than Brienne's.

Brienne was also cruel in that scene.

I swear, the Nights King is the least cruel character in the show - he brings people back to life and imbues babies against the cold.

Euron is so over the top now as to be a cartoon.  Srsly, they could have animated a Euron and inserted him into the storyline.  The casting is just wrong and the actor seems to have one face - homicidal glee.  That face is, and will, get very tiresome. 

-I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking now you decide to question Varys and his loyalty?

-Is anyone else thinking "Oh hey Randall nice to see you again, any chance you're mad about that son of yours stealing your ancestral sword? Oh no? You'll just remember about it when it's convenient for the show? Ok got it?". And he is going to join the Lannisters who killed almost all of his Lords family out of jelousy of a younger prettier woman because eh it's better then Dothraki savages right?

-The Arya scenes. How does she not know Jon is King? It seems like everyone has a lot of information in this show now unless they just shouldn't for whatever reason. And apparently it is common knowledge that Cersei blew up the sept, how there isn't rebellion in Kings Landing is just stupid. Her reunion with Nymeria was so underwhelming. I saw the previews last week and mentioned Nymeria will be back to several friends who only watch the show and all of them had the same reaction "Who?".

-Everything Jon Snow said makes sense why is there such a problem? They are isolated and their forces are depleted they need help and dragonglass. Dany is offering both. How he hasn't figured out yet to have a meeting with his advisors before the meeting with everyone is just bad writing for the sake of it. And I was half expecting Lady Mormont to get up there and give another "Well I'm just a ten year old girl so I'm awesome, sassy and know more then you older wiser lords and I agree with the King" speech, so I guess good job writers on surprising me there where she actually goes against Jon.

-Everything about the Yara/Ellaria scene would have been better if it wasn't there.

-Looks Like Euron hired the same 20 good men that Ramsay uses. Seriously I have to ask how to everything in that scene. How did he sneak up on the flagship? How did he find them in the night? How horrible of fighters are the sand snakes (so happy 2 are gone btw)? How does Theon fight a whole battle without the PTSD then turns to reek? They constantly do this stuff with several characters where they get some development go through a big life changing moment then oh well right back to where you are. So now Theon will have another redemption arc to save his sister and become Theon again instead of Reek. 

-I'm assuming they kept the last SS alive so Bronn can save her and her bad pussy.

2 minutes ago, Hear Me Roar!! said:

But Daenerys, bloody hell don't get me started. I thought I couldn't hate another female character more than Sansa but the lines are just SO BAD. Not sure if its the screenplay or the delivery but she just comes across as too self convinced that she's the good one, shes stale above all. The actress looks amazing, prettiest this season by far and in line with the otherworldy beauty of the books but so what if her characterization straight up sucks right now

It's both. Emilia Clarke, bless her heart, I have no problem with her, but she is a bad Dany. And a bad actress in general (just watch Terminator Genisys). She certainly looks the part, but she NEVER convinced me that she was Daenerys from the books. She came close to it way back in season one, but I tend to look at season one with rose-tinted glasses (becuase back then the show was...not perfect, but genuinely entertaining), so I would have to rewatch it. Maybe she was this bad even then, but I remember thinking that she palyed the "timid princess" part well enough.  

5 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Euron is so over the top now as to be a cartoon.  Srsly, they could have animated a Euron and inserted him into the storyline.  The casting is just wrong and the actor seems to have one face - homicidal glee.  That face is, and will, get very tiresome. 

I agree but with all that I think he was still by far the most entertaining thing in this episode. And that's saying a lot. 

1 hour ago, TeethGrinder said:

Littlefinger - My fucking god what has become of this character. He's just going round telling the most powerful people in the North his desires - What the hell

It is like he had some 'I'm okay, You're okay' therapy and  and decided to go round being his most authentic self.  Where once he was skeevy and evil, now he is a boring blabbermouth.  Sheesh....

(I don't post a lot, so I may come off as a sarcrastic ***, its all in good fun--I don't take myself that seriously).

The Good:

Tyrion with a good plan for takeover/conquest.

Tyrion figures out how to 'authenticate' a message to Jon.

Dany and her fencing with advisors during the strategery session.

Nymeria and Arya.  Hey! The wolf is back!  Hey the wolf seems to not be a fan of Arya.  Apparently she has gone to a dark place and the wolf knows it.  Well played.

Arya discovers the Starks are back.  nice moment.  Wasn't liking he scene up until that point.  She seemed very forced.  A faceless like man would be a bit more crafty and less obssessed.  Yeah I know everyone loves it.  Y'all know nothing.

Theon goes overboard.  Yeah that guy is rekt.  Rekt and a half.

The Bad:

The Tarly setup.  "I worse an oath to Tyrell" "You swore an oath to the throne"  just clumsy.  If Tyrell is in revolt (which itself is kinda clumsy as Cersei just offed House Tyrell because you know, reasons (Ok she mad), and you show up at the palace and then tell them you are undecided in your allegiance?  Ummmm how dumb is House Tarly?  

No cure for Greyscale, but then Captain Friendzone gets a miracle cure by Sam.  Why does Sam care?  What is Jorah to him?  I get the Mormont Lord Commander connection, but still--it just seems forced so that Sam and Jorah get time together, Sam cures Greyscale.  We all could predict that would happen as soon as it was 'forbidden'.  Like a bad Harry Potter subplot.  Bleh.

Littlefinger and Jon.  Littlefinger is supposed to be smooth and crafty.  Handled that whole interaction with the care of a bull in a China Shop.  For a coniving SOB, he sure is clumsy and not subtle.  'Hey dude we are in the crypt next to your (supposed) dad, but hey I really want to bang your sister and had the hots for your stepmom'  Yeah smooth there Littlefinger, real smooth

The Ugly

Euron now apparently sailing in DDX-1000 destroyers with radar and stealth technology! (I wonder if  he is using the same wind we are using?)

Yara apparently employing the lookouts from the Titanic

MIssandei is pretty and has a nice bod, but we are short on episodes and plot.  As Monty Python would say GET ON WITH IT!

Everyone telling Jon what to do.  Usually when you tell the king what to do after he has made his decision, at best you get a phrase that ends with a prepisition ('Off') at worst, you lose your head.  Those northern vassals are kinda uppity.

Everyone but Tyrion basically raging at BURN IT ALL strategy.  At least Olenna was more 'subtle' with the 'You are a dragon'.  The rest were like a bunch of 5 year olds.  BURN IT ALL!! BURN IT ALL!!

Not sure:

The Varys inquisition (Sing that like a Mel Brooks song).  On the one hand, Dany is correct.  Varys is slippery--thats the problem with being slippery, eventually someone  you doublecrossed ends up in power--BEHIND THE SCENES MAN!! STAY BEHIND THE SCENES! (Show Varys is much more out than Book Varys).  On the other hand this appears to be about 1.5 season behind schedule.  The time to give him the 3rd degree is when he shows up, not right after he has delivered you to the west with 2 armies and allies.  I mean DERP.

I predicted Theon and Yara as the gifts.  Oops.  Guess Theon got left behind.  On the bright side--he should be well bathed.

Supercrossbows.   HMMMM  Thinking about moving this to the bad.  Very predictable.  Now if you would of tipped them with Obsidian, that may have been something.  

Well my wife is calling and that work thing--hope I made someone laugh or think.  Just my .02 and I also know nothing.

Can Jon and Sansa get a room? One where they can talk about things BEFORE they address the Northern lords and try to present some kind of united front? This faux feud is getting tiresome; I get that D&D want us invested in the idea for some reason, but as with everything involvement showSansa's character development, she and Jon constantly being at odds just makes no damned sense. 

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

- why TF is the show for 3 seasons in row making Littlefinger acting like a complete idiot?!???! Ever since they ran out of book material in LF's case, he acts like the biggest fool. Season 1 - Season 4 until Lysa's murder = master schemer. Since Lysa's murder onward = idiot. Not discussing Lysa's murder with Sansa prior to being interrogated by the lords? Destroying the regained trust of Sansa by saying  that he wants to f*** her? Admitting his desire for Sansa to Jon? :bang: I'm so done with this bs. I really don't know how I could expect an intelligent conversation between Jon and LF this episode with LF revealing Jon's true parents to Jon. :bang: sorry for the rant.

Oh, but Little Finger is a genius. He has left the largest and most intact army of the seven kingdoms parked in the North. Armies consume mass resources. Soon, the North will have no more food and they'll die come winter.

Just kidding. We know the show writers never bother with logistics, or anything that makes sense. Thus, we have Little Finger walking around undefended like he's some seedy loner and being threatened by everyone he scurries into. He better watch out or the Mormont girl may sass him up.

3 minutes ago, madscientist596 said:

Nymeria and Arya.  Hey! The wolf is back!  Hey the wolf seems to not be a fan of Arya.  Apparently she has gone to a dark place and the wolf knows it.  Well played.

That I can accept - that Nymeria is rejecting Arya because she knows Arya has become too dark/no-one - but it's not he way they describe it in the inside the episode.

Like:

-Victarion Greyjoy

-Olenna Tyrell

-Dead Sand Snakes

Dislike:

-Dany following Tyrion's approach, he messed up Meereen badly.  The xenophobia argument against taking KL immediately is silly, the people should be thankful for Dany dethroning the murderer of everyone's beloved queen Margaery and the High Sparrow.  And don't tell me no one knows it was Cersei that blew up the Sept, even HOT PIE knows it was her.  The Tyrell bannermen, the Tartlys, are just OK with it? Lmfao.

-No mention of Euron in Dany's war council scene, they know he's out there plotting - I don't mind them not knowing what his plot is or the fact he can ambush them but Dany's war council acted like it was just Cersei & KL to worry about.

25 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

Cruel is subjective.

She kills them to satisfy her revenge. It's a pleasurable act. She's happy about it.

But why in the name of the prince (or princess) that was promised would Randyll Tarly, Sam’s hardheaded dad and the chief military commander of House Tyrell, suddenly throw his lot in with the woman who murdered his liege lord? Mace Tyrell wasn’t exactly Alexander the Great, but he (and his two heirs) were incinerated in cold blood, and it’s hard to imagine a blinkered rule-follower like Randyll sullying their name just because he’s afraid of a few Dothraki. I appreciated Jaime’s opportunistic playing on the invading foreign horde—it’s just like our Kingslayer, who’s always been underrated as a politician. But I didn’t buy that Tarly would go for it.

The same goes for Jon Snow, who is declared King in the North and instantly decides … to leave the North on a boat with his most trusted adviser. There’s a reason we hard cut from that decision to a statue of Ned, holding his longsword in noble judgment. Jon seems similarly afflicted with the idea that the logically sound decision is always the right one. Dragons, as Davos points out, can breathe fire, so they might be useful against the White Walkers.

Fine. But maybe wait a second before approaching Daenerys and asking her to open a second front, in her brand new war, against a race of mythical beings? Jon’s role in Winterfell has to be healing the bitter divides of a just-ended civil war, and, as his lieges point out, the last King in the North who left Winterfell never returned. The only reason I can think for his rashness is that foul mistress, plot. Jon doesn’t make much sense as a King in the North anyway—the title should fall to Sansa, pronouns be damned, just like with the so-called prince who was promised. Jon came back from the dead to defeat the Night’s King, and if he has to make a few stupid decisions to spur that final confrontation along, so be it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/07/game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-2-stormborn-roundtable/534621/

Agreed, the puffing up of Cersei Lannister and their forces and allies is really destroying logic. Yes, Dany;s father was a psycho but Cersei is now a worst known one and is someone that has absolutely no claim though blood or whatever to the Iron Throne. She betrays everyone. One would think that the lords would at least meet Dany to assess her for themselves and if they are afraid of a trap by Dany, then why did they meet with Cersei in KL?

Also, that weapon that "Q" made looks relatively, should be standard in a middle ages society that has seen so many wars like this one. Whatever.

Littlefinger must have scared Royce so much that he has not had a private word with Sansa and or Jon since last season because if he had, LF would be dead and a little note from Sansa to Sweet Robin would smooth it over for Royce back home. By the way, with Dany and Cersei demanding all of the Kingdoms bend the knee, where is Sweet Robin? The Twins lost all male Freys, where is Edmure Tully? I wonder if they will show up somewhere.

So, will Dorne's army still sit around in Dorne now that the Bastard Brigade has been defeated and captured? Stay tuned.

At this point, what is Theon/Reek still around for as is Jorah Mormont? Oh, let me guess, Dragonglass will be used to heal the untapped army of Stonemen in Valaryia and brought over to fight the Night's King. If not, what difference does that storyline make at this point in the show?

Archived