Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

On 12/08/2017 at 1:50 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Brie Larsen better be buffing up like that for Capt Marvel. I don't want to see model stick arms, I want to see gymnast arms

Less pressure on actors and actresses to change their bodies for a role can only be a good thing so I don't gaf if she buffs up or not

Interesting. The Incredible Hulk bombed in Japan, and Thor has not been popular. Dr Strange earned almost what either Thor movie earned individually, and even substantially more than what the Thor movies did combined.

So if the only Avengers with Solo movies we're going to see in Ragnarok are Thor, Dr. Strange and Hulk then having Dr. Strange in the Japanese trailer makes good sense.

And of course Dr Strange's solo movie is a lot more recent than either Thor's or Hulk's.

Actually if I'm not mistaken Dr Strange is the #2 grossing non-Avengers ensemble movie (Civil War is an Avengers ensemble movie in all but name), in the MCU. Though I expect that to Change with Spider Man, maybe? So in some respects every movie he's in in the MCU he should be a significant part of the Japanese marketing.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Eventually, and sooner rather than later --probably after phase 4-- I imagine that they'll recast everything and start from scratch... it'll be interesting to see who the next iron Man will be... 

I'd really prefer they kept the history and had another character take over the mantle of Iron Man, Cap etc like in the comics.  

• 1 month later...

Nice BP trailer. I'm worried at possibly having a bit of Marvel overload in the movie market. GOTG2, Spider Man, Thor, Black Panther, Infinity War, Ant Man and the Wasp all more or less within 12 months. I think Audience fatigue is a possibility, which I think might well hit Ant Man and the Wasp, since that will be after the semi-climactic Infinity War movie.

I love that they're really letting these directors just go batshit insane with these movies now.  Just watched Doctor Strange for the first time tonight and it was a hell of a lot of fun, and Black Panther looks like it'll be equally nuts.

Thor Ragnarok review embargo is over, the reviews are rolling in and I guess as expected from the twitter teasers the vast majority of reviews are digging the movie.

Very excited for this.

I love that Taika named all (or most) of the spacecraft in the movie after makes of Holden cars (an historic Aussie (and NZ) car manufacturer name, but which sadly has also just closed down the last of its Australian assembly plants). Though it will have Ford fans from Aussie and NZ rather pissed. He also said the colours of the ship they escape in are from the Aboriginal flag.

Waititi isn't African American, but people should understand that he is from an historically marginalised and oppressed indigenous minority, who are still disproportionately over-represented in the negative socio-economic statistics of the country. He can take a great deal of pride in this achievement, and hopefully has shown that when it comes to big budget movies the NZ film industry is not a one trick (Peter Jackson) pony.

My review.

I thought it was okay. The best Thor movie to date but probably the weakest Marvel film overall since Age of Ultron (although not by much, and my current ranking of it below Doctor Strange and Ant-Man might be because I went into both films having avoided the trailers and was expecting disappointments in both cases, the reverse of my approach to Ragnarok). The opening is a mess and the comedy is allowed to overshadow the serious dramatic stuff, which makes it feel a bit weightless. Also, the trailers contain almost all of the film's best scenes.

There is some pretty good stuff as well, and Goldblum has some absolutely mental scenes. I also liked the fleshing out of Hulk as a character in his own, distinct right. But yeah, I think somewhat disappointing if you've bought into the hype.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

My review.

I thought it was okay. The best Thor movie to date but probably the weakest Marvel film overall since Age of Ultron (although not by much, and my current ranking of it below Doctor Strange and Ant-Man might be because I went into both films having avoided the trailers and was expecting disappointments in both cases, the reverse of my approach to Ragnarok). The opening is a mess and the comedy is allowed to overshadow the serious dramatic stuff, which makes it feel a bit weightless. Also, the trailers contain almost all of the film's best scenes.

There is some pretty good stuff as well, and Goldblum has some absolutely mental scenes. I also liked the fleshing out of Hulk as a character in his own, distinct right. But yeah, I think somewhat disappointing if you've bought into the hype.

The bold part: I feel as these days, that has become a norm. I know I find that truly annoying.

I am glad to hear that Blanchett was amazing. The trailer suggested so and she is force of nature. I suppose all those years in Sydney Theatre Company truly paid off when these roles are in question.

Great review... I enjoyed reading that.

Haha, no way that this will rank below Dr Strange or Antman. The Thor movies have been my favorite of the Marvel franchise so far, closely followed by two fine Avengers films. The rest leaves me pretty cold, except for GoTG 1.

This is the best Thor movie and funny as hell.  The humor might have even been cut back a bit, but the 2hours+ flew by.  Nobody could say the film isn't entertaining.

Stan's cameo was one of his best and loved seeing the effect where Thor swung his hammer round - just like the Kirby art from the 60s comics.

I'd seen a review where they said Cate's performance wasn't that great but I thought she was perfect.

Can't wait to see those Dr Strange and Korg scenes again - lol

On 25/10/2017 at 11:22 PM, Werthead said:

My review.

I hope your review differs from the experience I'm hoping to have. Strange and antman were adequately entertaining and utterly forgettable movies. Other reviews I've read rate it highly .

I do worry that by seeing the trailers and some of the extended clips that most of the fun has been spoiled. I guess i didn't have to watch them (like I do with star wars in the sense i only watch the trailers and not the promo/extended clips). Then again Marvel films are some of the safest movies out there in terms of pretty much knowing how things turn out, going into them. Good guys win - no-one of great importance ever dies, everything heads into the next installment. Essentially just like the comics -although thankfully they haven't reached the point of the comics by pulling off promo-stunts to sell them. Guess that's a few more films off.

Archived