Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

1 minute ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

The last stone is the time stone, right? I got the impression from Thor that it was inside the sword that activates the Bifrost.

No, Dr. Strange has the time stone. He uses it to make a time loop in his movie. 

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

No, Dr. Strange has the time stone. He uses it to make a time loop in his movie. 

Yeah, the time stone has the power to give us a tediously annoying and underwhelming climax.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Any speculation on why we see the Hulkbuster armor prominently in the trailer?  Its obviously out of order as well, we first see it when Banner is holding up its arm and then we see the full suit later in the trailer.  Think maybe Tony freaks out at the Hulk coming back?

One other bit that is spoilers for Ragnarok:

Hide contents

It was obviously set up for some false drama in Thor 3, but they made a big deal about how Banner was afraid that if he Hulked out again he might not ever go back to Banner.  So it was pretty dramatic when he decided to Hulk out to fight the undead wolf and there was good comedy when he tried to fight Sutur and Thor wouldn't let him.

But then there he is at the end as Banner and nothing else was made of it.  Same here where he obviously still goes back and forth between Hulk and Banner.

In Secret Wars Dr. Strange was able to use magic to make the Hulk go back to Banner, he snapped his fingers and said "Calm".  I don't think it is an accident that you see Strange, Hulkbuster Armor/Tony Stark and Banner in the same scene.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Any speculation on why we see the Hulkbuster armor prominently in the trailer?  Its obviously out of order as well, we first see it when Banner is holding up its arm and then we see the full suit later in the trailer.  Think maybe Tony freaks out at the Hulk coming back?

One other bit that is spoilers for Ragnarok:

Reveal hidden contents

It was obviously set up for some false drama in Thor 3, but they made a big deal about how Banner was afraid that if he Hulked out again he might not ever go back to Banner.  So it was pretty dramatic when he decided to Hulk out to fight the undead wolf and there was good comedy when he tried to fight Sutur and Thor wouldn't let him.

But then there he is at the end as Banner and nothing else was made of it.  Same here where he obviously still goes back and forth between Hulk and Banner.

Being afraid that something might happen doesn't guarantee that it will happen. And the fact that the thing you are afraid of doesn't happen doesn't make the initial fear illegitimate. The drama was a valid drama in the mind of the character, and that's the important thing. Was the character behaving in a way that is consistent with the context of the situation? The answer in this case is yes.

In the trailer I was happy to see Wong alongside Dr Strange. I hope he survives.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, I'm in the 'slightly underwhelmed' group. It looks a lot more coherent than Justice League, but it seems somehow lacking in X-factor... I mean, it looks fun, but nothing about it is making my inner child go WOW!

Well, I assume that's because Marvel doesn't have the rights...

The trailer was alright, pretty standard Marvel/comic trailer. Shots of fighting, hordes of things running at each other, a vaguely spoilerish/zomg moment, and lots of snazzy special effects. Nothing too surprising, but of course I'll still see it.

I am a shill after all.

The one thing about Peter Parker still being in High School is that he will basically have nothing of consequence to say when the adults are talking. So he's more or less a super-powered footsoldier. Probably not such a bad thing, since there are so damned many avengers that have to fit on the screen that spider-bot pretty much showing up for the action scenes gives everyone else more room to breathe.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Peter Parker out of his Spider Man costume the whole movie. Even the bus scene might a trailer only shot. We know studios use scenes in trailers that don't make it into the final cut.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Only the time stone has been on Earth for a long time. The others have wound up on Earth, well I guess because of Thor and Loki's fixation with Earth.

Are we ever told how long the Tesseract was in that church before Red Skull grabbed it? I figured at least a few hundred years. We know nothing about how long the sixth stone has (probably) been in Wakanda but I assume it'll be the explanation for their seemingly alien technology. So I'm guessing they've had it for a bit. So that's three that have been on Earth for a while. Plus one that Thanos sent to Earth with Loki. it also doesn't help that the remaining two stones were rediscovered and briefly held by two humans. It's a minor complaint, and as someone suggested above it almost has to be that way since almost all the heroes are from Earth. 

I'm also curious what Thanos knew back in Avengers 1. Did he know he was risking the Mind Stone to get the Tesseract? Did he know about the other two stones on Earth? 

Just as a refresher (since I had to look it up) here's all the Infinity Stones in the MCU:

Space Stone - Blue - Tesseract - Presumably taken by Loki in Thor 3 (and seen in the trailer)

Mind Stone - Yellow - Loki's Scepter - Stuck in Visions Head

Reality Stone - Red - Aether - Presumably with the Collector on Knowhere

Power Stone - Purple - Orb in GotG - Nova Corps has it

Time Stone - Green - Eye of Agomotto - Wong has it in Nepal

Soul Stone - Orange - Not yet seen in MCU

So we think maybe the Soul Stone is in Wakanda?  Could we possibly see in in Black Panther?  Or will they leave it for IW?

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So we think maybe the Soul Stone is in Wakanda?  Could we possibly see in in Black Panther?  Or will they leave it for IW?

I'd imagine that, if it's in Wakanda, they'll set that up in Black Panther.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Are we ever told how long the Tesseract was in that church before Red Skull grabbed it? I figured at least a few hundred years. We know nothing about how long the sixth stone has (probably) been in Wakanda but I assume it'll be the explanation for their seemingly alien technology. So I'm guessing they've had it for a bit. So that's three that have been on Earth for a while. Plus one that Thanos sent to Earth with Loki. it also doesn't help that the remaining two stones were rediscovered and briefly held by two humans. It's a minor complaint, and as someone suggested above it almost has to be that way since almost all the heroes are from Earth. 

I'm also curious what Thanos knew back in Avengers 1. Did he know he was risking the Mind Stone to get the Tesseract? Did he know about the other two stones on Earth? 

Oh I forgot the Tessaract was in Captain America. So that does make 2, maybe 3 infinity stones on Earth for an unknown amount of time.

Perhaps they were hidden here, given that Earth seems to be one of the least technologically advanced races in the galaxy, so maybe whoever dispersed the stones knew Humans were pretty dumb so the Galaxy as a whole would be pretty advanced and able to deal with beings like Thanos by the time Earth came to the attention of the most powerful cosmic entities.

Speaking of powerful entities with an interest in Earth. I was reading up on Dormammu and it has had its eye on Earth for centuries. I wouldn't mind seeing a story around Dormammu and the 1666 great fire of London. It could used as the origin story for Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. Or they could take that out of the MCU and put that time period into the TVerse and use an actress other than Tilda Swinton.

Also

Is it ironic that the soul stone is with black people?

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is it ironic that the soul stone is with black people?

Be even better if the Orange Soul Stone was somehow used to power a train of some sort...

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Are we ever told how long the Tesseract was in that church before Red Skull grabbed it? I figured at least a few hundred years.

I think it was said Odin put it there, so a few hundred years would be likely, they were fighting Ice Giants on Earth just over a thousand years ago (seen at the start of Thor 1.)

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Anybody feel like Loki might not be around too much longer?

Well, at some point, everything good comes to an end. While I was watching Ragnarok, I got the feeling that he is a bit redundant. With the new baddie and possible talk of Hela and Ancient One return in Avengers 4, I am not sure what role he has to play. 

19 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Not to mention the tracking shot of all the heroes united and fighting together will take up at least a fifth of the screen time.

With rotating camera around the field of action that will look ropey in 3D!

19 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Spoilers for the Black Panther movie I guess. He wins.

Ha. Yeah - I was thinking they might kill him off. The house of playing it safe!

If Infinity does fail to be compelling, it'll be the combination of:

* So much expectations that everyone shows up to see it with a super- judge- ie set of eyeballs.

* It became too much of a long checklist of things that needed to be included, rather than being able to feel like a movie with a life of its own.   So the scenes are all saying to us, "this is impressive, right?"  while the viewer's response is, "yeah? Yet I'm strangely unimpressed."

* The Computer Generated batch of villains are uninspired, for which Steppenwolf has been slapped.

* The film almost has to be a downer instead of feeling uplifting or inspiring the way the early phase 1 and 2 installments left you with a feelgood feeling.  The result may kill the golden goose and make people realize they're over this stuff, like, "This was the big one?  Huh."

Here's hoping they combat this with a larger sense of wonder , making you feel for the cosmos as thanos pokes it?   Or stuff like that.

Archived