Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

Don't forget that Disney would be forking over 4 Billion to Fox, who turns around and invests that into right wing fascist propaganda. I said it before and ill say it again, if this deal goes through im totally OUT on all Disney properties. 

Are you currently out for all Fox movies, tv, etc?

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I wouldn’t say those are spoilers at all.  At least not for the MCU.  The comic run they are talking about won’t influence this story.

I was talking about the green guy and another character...

Basically they confirmed who the new character being introduced in Infinity War is

5 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I was talking about the green guy and another character...

Basically they confirmed who the new character being introduced in Infinity War is

I missed that bit, or I've already forgotten. So even though I read the whole article I haven't been spoiled. Lucky me I guess.

Oh, I just heard Hugh Jackman would be interested in continuing as Wolverine if he would be part of the Avengers. Unfortunately I really doubt they will go for that. Every X-men character will be recast if X-men is brought into the MCU Avengers continuity. The only way they will keep any of the current cast is if they keep the continuities separated. If they did keep X-men in a separate continuity it still gives the potential for cross overs (like in the Flash TV series) in both directions. Hulk to the X-men continuity, Wolverine to the Avengers continuity.

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No way would they turn down Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine again.

I think you can recast just about any other character from X-Men, but Hugh Jackman is just so fucking perfect for Wolverine that it would be insane to turn him down.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Stewart and McKellen to play Professor X and Magneto either simply because both guys were just brilliant casting.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think you can recast just about any other character from X-Men, but Hugh Jackman is just so fucking perfect for Wolverine that it would be insane to turn him down.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Stewart and McKellen to play Professor X and Magneto either simply because both guys were just brilliant casting.

You know I just remembered they pretty much turned down Bale for BvS, so who knows wtf these companies think anymore.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You know I just remembered they pretty much turned down Bale for BvS, so who knows wtf these companies think anymore.

Wasn't Bale demanding the kind of money that Robert Downey Jr. makes for his Marvel films?  I mean, I thought Bale was a fine Batman, but he's not bringing in viewers like RDJ does for Marvel, and thus he shouldn't be compensated in a similar manner.  No one went to see Nolan's Batman movies because of Bale.  They went because of Nolan, or simply because they were new Batman movies and Batman has always been popular.

In contrast, I think you can make a compelling argument that RDJ is a huge part of why the Marvel cinematic universe has been so successful, as he basically established the tone of the entire universe with his performance in Iron Man, and is just generally an incredibly charismatic actor.

40 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No way would they turn down Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine again.

Jackman should quit while he's ahead and let Logan be his send-off. A cameo with Deadpool would be fine (as Jackman playing the character Wolverine but being very much Jackman) but just to be in Avengers? Probably not worth it.

I'd think if they rolled in X-men into the MCU they'd be as well recasting all the X-men and starting from scratch - like a large-scale version of what they did with Spidey.

They'd probably need the infinity gem to bring the mutants into play. I guess they could have a handful of undercover mutants eg Magneto, Xavier, Mystique and Logan but I think the rest would have to be young adults who'd only recently received their powers.

Or just take it as an opportunity to reboot the whole lot?

Other option - have the FF as interdimensional adventurers linking the x-men and MCU franchises while allowing them to be separate. Gives the FF more importance and allows for crossovers

Feige said at one point they have an emergency plan in place for if they ever got the rights to X-Men. I imagine it involves some dimension hopping alt reality stuff.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

Wasn't Bale demanding the kind of money that Robert Downey Jr. makes for his Marvel films?  I mean, I thought Bale was a fine Batman, but he's not bringing in viewers like RDJ does for Marvel, and thus he shouldn't be compensated in a similar manner.  No one went to see Nolan's Batman movies because of Bale.  They went because of Nolan, or simply because they were new Batman movies and Batman has always been popular.

I don't think so? From what I recall he was perfectly willing to come back to play Batman in the DCEU but no one actually ever asked him.

9 hours ago, briantw said:

Jackman was a fantastic Wolverine by the end. I didn't like him at first when it came to the first Xmen movie, he was too tall too good looking and didn't quite live up to the Claremont version of Wolverine I was hoping for.

I think they could easily recast him and we could have just as good a Wolverine. Someone shorter and stockier and more irritable.

1 hour ago, Eggegg said:

Jackman was a fantastic Wolverine by the end. I didn't like him at first when it came to the first Xmen movie, he was too tall too good looking and didn't quite live up to the Claremont version of Wolverine I was hoping for.

I think they could easily recast him and we could have just as good a Wolverine. Someone shorter and stockier and more irritable.

Yeah, I agree... simply by virtue of his casting, Jackman re-defined the character... so the movie Wolverine was very different from the source comics... If and when he gets recast, there will be a certain amount of negative backlash by those who only know the character via the movies... but if the actor can pull it off, the comic readers will help smooth it over, eventually... Kind of like how Trevor Noah took over for Jon Stewart... at first everyone hated him... but as he made the daily show his own, he's won people over...

5 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yeah, I agree... simply by virtue of his casting, Jackman re-defined the character... so the movie Wolverine was very different from the source comics... If and when he gets recast, there will be a certain amount of negative backlash by those who only know the character via the movies... but if the actor can pull it off, the comic readers will help smooth it over, eventually... Kind of like how Trevor Noah took over for Jon Stewart... at first everyone hated him... but as he made the daily show his own, he's won people over...

Yeah it would be difficult at first, but I'd personally love it if Wolverine was actually a bit more Wolverineish! Also, maybe, just maybe getting to wear his costume?! Just once would be nice!

They could easily recast the entire Xmen and I wouldn't complain. So far only Patrick Stewart bares any real relation to my classic view of the comic characters. Almost every single other actor is either miscast or just very different to how I pictured them. Magneto was great in the movies, both actors, but again not really quite how I'd pictured them, like a lot of the actors they've picked, good but not really close.

They've already recast the X-Men with the New Class, so doing it again for the MCU makes sense. (Third time was a charm for Spider-man)

This also frees them from the baggage of the FoX-men movie continuity.

As for Magneto, I wonder if there is someway to shift his character out of WWII Holocaust origins, purely from an age factor of him needing to be 90+ years old. I'm not looking to stir controversy by removing his Jewish heritage or anything. Just thinking through the logistics of having Magneto be active in 2020 when he survived a concentration camp in 1945. 

Then again, we already have Rogers and Barnes still around after being frozen, so I guess there is already a precedent.

This is one of those areas where the comics have an advantage, because IIRC Magneto has already been de-aged and given a younger physical body twice so far. You can't casually just throw something like that in if you're rebooting the whole X-Men continuity, though. 

I don't think de-aging would work on film. And it doesn;t make too much sense to have an 80 year old Magneto rocking around. So time-travel him and company from the past/alternate dimension (where Mutants are a thing.) Sort of like they did with the All-New X-Men.

But really I don't want them in the MCU. They work best left to their own devices. Plus being apart gave us the gory, sweary, Deadpool; bloody, misanthropic, Logan; and New Mutants (that is looking like a horror film.) I don't see us getting those films with Disney. So I'd love Disney to keep them separate (if this deal goes through,) but they won't.

Archived