Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

24 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Beat me to it. There are plenty of more recent genocides that could be used, which could need a whole host of more up-to-date politics.

Rwanda would be my go to, Sierra Leone and Yogoslavia absolutely viable. Shiite/Sunni in the Middle East more recently could even bring the use depleted uranium in bombs into play. in a few years we could have a Muslim from Myanmar.

All these allow for greater diversity in casting as well; maybe the world needs a Muslim superhero!

Muslim Magneto would require them to tread very carefully though as he is thought of as a villain/terrorist moreso than a hero.

I do like the idea of an African Magneto. It's certainly a case where it's more important to keep the spirit of the character's past intact than his ethnicity

My first thought was Rwanda but to be honest it wouldn't really work for the character Magneto normally is. Because in large part he is who he is because many of the more political X-Men stories and themes are about the presence of rules and his violent opposition to the excuse of 'just following orders', and that's not really what happened in Rwanda. You could certainly still make an interesting Magento from that background but it'd be a different slant.
But heck, in this day of populist racism and things like Charlottesville, that might even suit the moment better than Magento who was born of the time of the Civil Rights movement.

3 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

So what's the in-universe lore about the American slave trade?  Did Wakanda just allow it to happen?  Or were they backers of it?

They stayed out of the world's affairs for most of their existence, so it was not a factor for them.

They violently killed anyone who came near them, black, white whatever. It's why it's such a big deal T'Challa coming onto the world stage.

Looking at the one BP comic I own. In the 5th century they had mechanical traps, and some form of machine capable of firing hundreds (if not thousands of spears.) All without being seen.

Then in the 19th they have some sort of mechanised robot, that can make peoples guns misfire and explode in their hands.

So advanced beyond the rest of the world, for some time.

Eh, I don't know about bringing mutants into the MCU. I mean, I love the quirky, colourful and fun Disney-MCU as much as the next person, but I'm not sure if it'll fit well with the darker, more grim world of the X-Men (atleast, that's how I've always seen it). After films like Days of Future Past and Logan (and I suppose Deadpool somewhat), the expectations for an X-Men film are vastly different to the family-friendly MCU titles and I highly doubt a Disney-MCU would have the cojones to portray the world of the X-Men the way it's meant to be.

10 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Eh, I don't know about bringing mutants into the MCU. I mean, I love the quirky, colourful and fun Disney-MCU as much as the next person, but I'm not sure if it'll fit well with the darker, more grim world of the X-Men (atleast, that's how I've always seen it). After films like Days of Future Past and Logan (and I suppose Deadpool somewhat), the expectations for an X-Men film are vastly different to the family-friendly MCU titles and I highly doubt a Disney-MCU would have the cojones to portray the world of the X-Men the way it's meant to be.

The Xmen have been any number of things over the years. My introduction to them was during the Claremont era and the 90s and it really was gritty, clever, dark and intellectually stimulating for a comic back then. I've tried to revist the comics later on, to check in on whats been going on, and all too often I've seen them try to make the Xmen a teen soap opera, or a high school romp.. basically the Xmen can fit into any genre, and I'm scared by any reboot because of how often i've seen different versions of the Xmen that have strayed from my preferred path. 

When you have amazing movies like Logan then I'd rather see more of that than movies about Twilight level high school crushes and metaphors about puberty.

Yes, I grew up with 90s X-Men. To me, the X-Men was more serious, more "real" compared to most other comic series. The issues that were dealt with were more relatable and less fantastical, the characters were more human and less black and white. The Bryan Singer movies and Logan is what I perceive to be good representations of the X-Men and they're not your feel-good, family friendly fair that the MCU has become known for. I really don't know if I could accept the Disney stardust sprinkled over the X-Men brand.

I know I can't be the only one who's first exposure to the property was the 90's X-Men cartoon. Compared to the other (read: Hanna-Barbara) cartoons of the time it was quite good. AlsoI  was super sad when Morph died even though he was invented for that purpose. I'd actually love it if he showed up in Dark Phoenix I and died immediately. 

59 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I know I can't be the only one who's first exposure to the property was the 90's X-Men cartoon. Compared to the other (read: Hanna-Barbara) cartoons of the time it was quite good. AlsoI  was super sad when Morph died even though he was invented for that purpose. I'd actually love it if he showed up in Dark Phoenix I and died immediately. 

My first exposure was late 80's and early 90's comics like a lot of people, but that cartoon was what really got me into the X-Men.  Same with the Spider-Man and Batman cartoons from that same time period, although the Batman one was clearly the best.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

My first exposure was late 80's and early 90's comics like a lot of people, but that cartoon was what really got me into the X-Men.  Same with the Spider-Man and Batman cartoons from that same time period, although the Batman one was clearly the best.

Oh Man that Batman cartoon was so great. I was raised a marvel guy but DC had the the whole collective universe figured out back then. Superman meant nothing to me until that cartoon linked up with the Superman one. and then he died and ...uuh DC Thanos took over the earth, and he was like "WHO WILL STAND AGAINST ME" and this regular human guy who was a dick to super man up until that point stood against him and got disintegrated and it was the tipping point for the people to overthrow the evil dude. I dunno that moment was very inspiring at the time.

On 12/9/2017 at 2:05 AM, Which Tyler said:

All these allow for greater diversity in casting as well; maybe the world needs a Muslim superhero!

Ms. Marvel, Kamela Khan, perhaps? Though I think if she's going to get screen time it will either be on Netflix or AoS. Her size altering  abilities are a bit redundant with Antman and Wasp on the scene. Her polymorph power might be a good foil to that of Mystique. A hero shape shifter and a villain shape shifter. If the X-men come into the MCU of course.

The Disney/Fox deal is done. Should be announced Thursday or Friday. $68 billion for pretty much everything, including 20th Century Fox, the FX networks, most of the TV properties (although some apparently will remain with the core Fox Network in the USA) and Fox's stake in both Hulu and Sky TV in the UK.

Interesting fact: Fox only have a distribution deal for Fantastic Four, not production rights. That lies with a German company. But given that that company can't release an FF film on their own, they're pretty much over a barrel so will likely go along with whatever Disney want.

15 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

For the moment, our pants should remain on?    But this could clear the way for a Mulan crossover allowing her to take part in a Married with Children reunion special.

The TV special we never knew we needed...

$68bn! Holy hell. How long is it going to take for Disney to recover that in additional profits directly attributable to the purchase?

Is this a case of having more money than sense?

I wonder if they are reshooting the end credits scene for Infinity War, or if they had not shot the end credits scene yet waiting for the deal to go through.

I think if the end credits scene has Hugh Jackman with his back to the camera, then slowly turning around, hold up a fist in front of his frowny face and have his adamantium claws slowly emerge everyone woman in the first 4 rows of the theatre would become instantly pregnant, and every man would turn gay, if the weren't already.

Hugh Jackman's reaction

“It’s interesting because for the whole 17 years I kept thinking that would be so great, like I would love to see, particularly, Iron Man and the Hulk and Wolverine together. And every time I saw an Avengers movie I could just see Wolverine in the middle of all of them like punching them all on the head. But it was like, “Oh well, that’s not gonna happen,” and it was interesting just when I first saw that headline — it was just the possibility of it and who knows what’s gonna happen, obviously — I was like, “Hang on!” But I think, unfortunately, the ship has sailed for me, but for someone else I would like to see Wolverine in there.”

Oh well. :(

Archived