Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

22 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is this a case of having more money than sense?

I'd say they're just planning ahead. Though some quick rough math based on the profits of the last X-Men movie tells me they'd need to make roughly 195 movies of similar profitability to break even. But this deal also gives them a bunch of TV stuff and more ownership of Hulu. Plus eliminating the competition is usually a good business move.

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'd say they're just planning ahead. Though some quick rough math based on the profits of the last X-Men movie tells me they'd need to make roughly 195 movies of similar profitability to break even. But this deal also gives them a bunch of TV stuff and more ownership of Hulu. Plus eliminating the competition is usually a good business move.

Hulu now becomes Disney's streaming service so they don't have to make one.  Plus they can now release 11,000 different versions of the Star Wars movies without having to pay fox.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Hulu now becomes Disney's streaming service so they don't have to make one.  Plus they can now release 11,000 different versions of the Star Wars movies without having to pay fox.

There has been no word that Disney is going to scrap their planned streaming service which is set to launch in 2019.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

There has been no word that Disney is going to scrap their planned streaming service which is set to launch in 2019.

I think it makes obvious business sense to merge the two streaming services together to better compete with Netflix, the more content a streaming service has the more attractive it will be.

22 hours ago, RumHam said:

Taking over Sky in the UK is also not small, they'll dominate the Pay TV market, particularly for sports coverage, and they get the NowTV streaming service as well.

There may have been more than a congratulatory call, too. According to Vanity Fair's Gabriel Sherman, Trump spoke with Murdoch on the phone prior to the deal "to make sure Murdoch wasn't selling Fox News."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/donald-trump-rupert-murdoch-disney-21st-century-fox/index.html

Hmm..... I like X-Men, but the MCU has been so carefully nurtured up to this point I really hope they don't rush this. What of all the upcoming X-Men films? I've got a bad feeling they'll just hurriedly smoosh the universes together, when I'd much rather they took their time. The problem is how integral the perception of mutants is, it wouldn't work to just say "oh yea, there's always been mutants in the MCU and everyone's wary of them .... unless they've used some serum like Cap, that's fine. And we didn't mention it when the Inhumans came about." Shame really cos from the X-Men side, I can't think of any compelling reason that First Class through to Apocalypse couldn't have been in the MCU.

Ideally, they could end Infinity War with the Earth being kinda screwed, and everyone blames superheroes. Maybe steal the comic Civil War plot about registration (the movie was about UN accountability) and everything seems simple enough, if you wanna be a hero, you gotta register. But then, mutants start arising ...... these people can't help it, it's in their genes. Should they register then? Cue the revelation that Professor X has been running a school full of them, and the animosity toward them means they need to defend themselves and he forms the X-Men officially. Something like that, something which explains why anyone would feel differently about mutants (this guy is Asgardian, this guy has gamma radiation, this guy had a serum, this guy has an expensive suit, this guy is a mutant ...... does anyone care?)

Be quite happy Deadpool remaining the same and being entirely aware that he got bought by Disney though. :)

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Hmm..... I like X-Men, but the MCU has been so carefully nurtured up to this point I really hope they don't rush this. What of all the upcoming X-Men films? I've got a bad feeling they'll just hurriedly smoosh the universes together, when I'd much rather they took their time. The problem is how integral the perception of mutants is, it wouldn't work to just say "oh yea, there's always been mutants in the MCU and everyone's wary of them .... unless they've used some serum like Cap, that's fine. And we didn't mention it when the Inhumans came about." 

The Inhumans haven't actually shown up in the MCU. I don't even think they're trying to pretend the TV shows are part of the MCU since Pearlmutter was removed from the movie end of things. Though I think the creators of The Runaways are the only ones to admit this so far. 

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

The Inhumans haven't actually shown up in the MCU. I don't even think they're trying to pretend the TV shows are part of the MCU since Pearlmutter was removed from the movie end of things. Though I think the creators of The Runaways are the only ones to admit this so far. 

That's the only thing about the Phase 4 reboot rumours that has me interested; if they start fresh with their own streaming service and have some shows that truly are part of the universe. Then they don't have to decanonise the 'old' shows, just wipe the slate clean.

But aside from that positive, it really doesn't feel like it needs rebooting and it doesn't seem likely to me.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I wonder what (if anything?) this might mean for the New Mutants film?  Is it already finished?  Or in post production?

It's in post-production, and given they had a decent sized trailer I'd bet they've probably got the edit more or less finalised. They're still releasing promotional stuff on twitter as of a day ago, that's on message to what we've seen so far, so probably it's still on as planned. It'll be released as a FOX film. The changes'll come when it's Disney from the ground up.er.com/NewMutantsFilm/status/94136800493121

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of  BW movie being back story, and being very much of the spy/thriller rather than super hero type. Not an origin story per se (she should be a kick arse assassin from the off), but perhaps a "how did she end up with S.H.I.E.L.D." movie. And of course explore her history with Hawkeye.

I think Johansson and Renner are of an age where they can pretty much play characters aged between mid 20s and early 40s with the right make up. So a movie set in 2008 (concurrent timeline with the original Iron Man and Hulk) would be feasible, with BW being in her mid 20s, and having been an assassin since her late teens.

I love spy action movie thrillers but I don’t want or need a Black Widow movie. 

I'm glad for female led superhero movies and what not but Wonder Woman 2, Captain Marvel, Silver and Black, Batgirl, Kitty Pride, and now Black Widow are all white female led films. Where are the WOC led films like America Chavez, Silk, Kamala Khan, or even Storm. 

I really hope Marvel will be announcing some WOC movies very soon. 

Black Widow is such a no-brainer. They should be a little embarrassed it took them this long to green light even a script. It can be made with a nothing budget, relatively speaking, and it has all the potential in the world. Deadpool was made for 60 mill. The smallest budgeted MCU movie is Ant-Man, at 130 mill. Black Widow can do significantly worse than any other MCU movie at the box office and still make triple its budget. People don't want a glossy Black Widow movie. You have an excuse to make this movie at a discount.

3 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I love spy action movie thrillers but I don’t want or need a Black Widow movie. 

I'm glad for female led superhero movies and what not but Wonder Woman 2, Captain Marvel, Silver and Black, Batgirl, Kitty Pride, and now Black Widow are all white female led films. Where are the WOC led films like America Chavez, Silk, Kamala Khan, or even Storm. 

I really hope Marvel will be announcing some WOC movies very soon. 

Small steps, I guess we have to be thankful for that?

It's a frequent and fair argument that the biggest female superheroes are still white (and just by being female the list shrinks considerably). Out of the ones you mention Kamala khan could possibly work - although I think she'd suit a TV show. Storm could if she is given a more prominient role in the inevitable MCU reboot/recasting. The other two would have to spin out of a white man's film first to make much sense (although we're getting a Venom without spidey so anything's possible).

It's why the casting of non-white people in roles has been used and is actually a pretty good idea. In the case of Nick Fury it worked so well that the comics bent over backwards to make their version black too.

If Captain Marvel does well and Black Panther (which looks excellent) then this, added with Wonder Woman's success will show it can be done and that people want superheroes irrespective of race and gender. Then we'll get more variety. But they shouldn't rush into it unless they have a great concept because when these types of film fail the easy excuse is to say "women/black/etc lead films don't work". Again, looking at the comics side Marvel valiantly tried to diversify their cast. The issue was that the general story telling approach in Marvel has been terrible and event driven for several years. Marvel's solution? Stop making diverse comics. They still have the same terrible story telling though.

Archived