Calibandar

Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

45 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2017 at 4:30 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Hopefully not breaking rules by re-quoting. But does that mean Black Widow might be among the more worthy candidates among the Avengers? And possibly quite interesting that in AoU she says "It's not a question I need answered". Meaning the writers have deliberately or inadvertently left the door open for Romanov to become the fem-Thor in the MCU. People have been wanting Scarlett to get a solo MCU movie, but Black Widow just doesn't seem the character that they want to tell a solo story about (because it would probably be best told with a R-rating, which they perhaps don't want to do with the core Avengers roster). So making her into Thor givens them an option. They could also bring in the Donald Blake effect, with Romanov de-powering after being disconnected from Mjolnir for a time. Though I do prefer the transfer of the God essence thing if HemsThor does either die or take on the mantle of Odin. But perhaps what they could do is have her pick up the Hammer while Thor is still alive.

Worthiness is an interesting question now that Hela is allegedly shown to be able to hold Mjolnir before she destroys it. If the worthiness criteria is absolute for organic beings to wield the hammer, then that applies to Hela. Which suggests she's deemed worthy by the mystical power of the hammer.

Black Widow being worthy to wield Mjolnir may have been more likely if Whedon was director and in his "I have to show what a champion of feminism I am" mode.  Still, it's better than turning Cordelia Chase into a higher being.

Btw, did Natasha wield Mjolnir one time in the comics?

Anyway, I wondered if the reason Cap wasn't quite able to lift Mjolnir was because of what Ultron said about Steve being unable to live without a war to fight; though, I suppose the same charge could apply to Thor.

On 12/08/2017 at 1:50 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Brie Larsen better be buffing up like that for Capt Marvel. I don't want to see model stick arms, I want to see gymnast arms

Less pressure on actors and actresses to change their bodies for a role can only be a good thing so I don't gaf if she buffs up or not

The Japanese Thor Ragnarok Trailer has a bit of Dr Strange at the beginning.I doubt he'll be in the film outside of that one scene though.

Interesting. The Incredible Hulk bombed in Japan, and Thor has not been popular. Dr Strange earned almost what either Thor movie earned individually, and even substantially more than what the Thor movies did combined.

So if the only Avengers with Solo movies we're going to see in Ragnarok are Thor, Dr. Strange and Hulk then having Dr. Strange in the Japanese trailer makes good sense.

And of course Dr Strange's solo movie is a lot more recent than either Thor's or Hulk's.

Actually if I'm not mistaken Dr Strange is the #2 grossing non-Avengers ensemble movie (Civil War is an Avengers ensemble movie in all but name), in the MCU. Though I expect that to Change with Spider Man, maybe? So in some respects every movie he's in in the MCU he should be a significant part of the Japanese marketing.