Sand Snakes - Dorne

Styl7

In last episode (2) the Sand Snakes. In the show we have only seen Obara, Tyene and Nymeria.. But what about the other Sand snakes?

D&D ruined the Dorne storyline, but i think that they didnt intend to change the storyline from the first place...

Here are a few thing they changed from the books:

-There are only three Sand snakes

-Trystane Martell is the only son and heir of Doran Martell

Back in season 4,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKgxzW4J3o

0:37-0:47

Oberyn says Cersei he has 8 daughters.

Back in season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcK1O9MamN8

1:05-1:11

Tyrion says Pycelle that he want to Myrcella to wed the YOUNGEST son..

Bad writing. Or not necessarily bad but simply they later changed their mind. I honestly wish they followed the book storyline with Quentyn trying to marry Daenerys and Arianne trying to crown Myrcella. I really don't get why bothered including Dorne when they limited it to the awesome Oberyn (destined to be killed soon) and 4 bitter women who are practically unable to generate a watchable scene, let alone a watchable dialogue. Maybe they thought it would be cool to have another three female warriors but in the books the Snakes are deadly but they are different one from another and have personalities, at least the three oldest ones do. While in the show they just took a simplified Obara and applied it to 4 characters. How could this end up well? And then they killed Doran...

Hopefully Ellaria and the remaining Snake, whatever is her name, are killed this episode and that will be the definitive end of Dorne "storyline"...

I just thought Obyren had 8 daughters but only 3 were warriors, or Sand Snakes. The rest were doing more traditional girl things in the Watergardens - they were Sand Flowers or something.

The youngest son thing is a bit of an omission though.

15 hours ago, ummester said:

I just thought Obyren had 8 daughters but only 3 were warriors, or Sand Snakes. The rest were doing more traditional girl things in the Watergardens - they were Sand Flowers or something.

The youngest son thing is a bit of an omission though.

That and the television adaption could not as a practical matter have every character that appeared in the books. 

I'm pretty sure Tyene bites it next Sunday.   So no one is in charge of Dorne.  Or the Westerlands.   Or the Reach (I think Tarly will buy it too.)  The Hightowers don't seem to exist in this version of Westeros.   The Unsullied will be awfully close to the Iron Islands if this becomes an interesting military situation.  The Vale is vulnerable with all the fighters in Winterfell and Sweet Robin in charge.  The Riverlands seem to be up for grabs, too.   Oh, and no one is in charge at Storms End or the Stormlands.    Seems to me the only stable territories at the moment are the Crownlands, North and Iron Islands.   Oh Boy.   

On 26/07/2017 at 4:29 AM, Ser Knight Somerville said:

That and the television adaption could not as a practical matter have every character that appeared in the books. 

Not every character, but replacing one of the main movers of the Dorne stroryline (such as it exists, even in the books) and beloved character like Arianne with four villains from Xena the Warrior Princess was a particularly bad move.

As to Quentyn, there wasn't even a need to make him into a big role, he could have been reduced to a bit player; just have him travel with Varys and Tyrion, give him one scene were he talks something about his hopes to marry Daenerys and have him bite it at the fighting pit. That would have been all the Quentyn that was necessary.

9 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I'm pretty sure Tyene bites it next Sunday.   So no one is in charge of Dorne.  Or the Westerlands.   Or the Reach (I think Tarly will buy it too.)  The Hightowers don't seem to exist in this version of Westeros.   The Unsullied will be awfully close to the Iron Islands if this becomes an interesting military situation.  The Vale is vulnerable with all the fighters in Winterfell and Sweet Robin in charge.  The Riverlands seem to be up for grabs, too.   Oh, and no one is in charge at Storms End or the Stormlands.    Seems to me the only stable territories at the moment are the Crownlands, North and Iron Islands.   Oh Boy.   

Cersei is head Lannister now and Tyrion or Cersei will be ruler of the Westerlands after this episode. Iron Islands are no better of then Dorne with Euron and their top 1000 ship captains off at KL with no one left in charge. Dorne gets to keep it's army unblooded, so it's actually doing quite well.

10 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

LOL.  And that's why they should have simply encircled King's Landing with the army and the dragons and told the population to send out Cersei, the kingslayer, queenslayer, incest breeder, murderer, blasphemer, adulterer and everyone else would be pardoned.  Voila.  Case closed.  Who would fight for her with 3 dragons circling overhead?  Answer:  no one.  

11 hours ago, Denam_Pavel said:

Cersei is head Lannister now and Tyrion or Cersei will be ruler of the Westerlands after this episode. Iron Islands are no better of then Dorne with Euron and their top 1000 ship captains off at KL with no one left in charge. Dorne gets to keep it's army unblooded, so it's actually doing quite well.

I understood the Greyjoy ships were sent to Dorne to get the soldiers.   But, as you say, I only saw our dearly departed Sand Snakes and Ironborn.    I didn't notice any Dornish fighting men.   Ellaria overthrew the ruling family in Dorne.   It's never really made clear what's going on there.   I wonder if Dorne will continue to rebel without their leader now?   

10 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL.  And that's why they should have simply encircled King's Landing with the army and the dragons and told the population to send out Cersei, the kingslayer, queenslayer, incest breeder, murderer, blasphemer, adulterer and everyone else would be pardoned.  Voila.  Case closed.  Who would fight for her with 3 dragons circling overhead?  Answer:  no one.  

The conversation between Jamie and Tarly was illuminating how Cersei could actually get anyone to support her rule.   Put secondary houses in charge.   Nice move.  I think it's possible but not probable that Cersei may take a dragon out of the game or at least seriously wound one of them.   But I have to agree with you, no one would sit by and allow themselves to be BBQd alive to save a mad woman they hate anyway.  I get the feeling Cersei's end isn't as close as we might like yet.   Ultimately Westeros is already a mess.   Dany should think about this again before she really engages her people, forces who love and believe in her.   This whole season should be a senseless bloodbath.   

On 7/26/2017 at 11:51 PM, Dream Wind said:

So does that leave Elia Martell as the heir to dorne? She is the only eldest one with a noble mother. Sarella, hmm was she mentioned in the show? I think the fact that he said 8 daughters means that she exists.. 

Elia's dead. Remember the Mountain?

"Elia Martell. I killed her children. Then I raped her. Then I smashed her head, IN LIKE THIS!"

24 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Elia's dead. Remember the Mountain?

"Elia Martell. I killed her children. Then I raped her. Then I smashed her head, IN LIKE THIS!"

Id just tried to create a thread but its been deleted regarding the death of Ellaria Sand and Tyene Sand. I agree this will be done again on the two sand snakes, he will kill Tyene then rape and crush Ellaria's  head. If this does play out I can imagine this been a hard scene to watch if we do get to see it.

4 minutes ago, Caterina Sforza said:

So Dorne, as an ally, is lost now, right?

Not really sure what happens, either Euron has gained 20,000 Dornish soldiers or they will fight for Daenerys, dont think either is likely.

I personally think Dorne is out of the fold after they get rid of the two remaining sand snakes. They will just fall into the well that the Stormlands and the Riverlands fell in to. 

10 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Not really sure what happens, either Euron has gained 20,000 Dornish soldiers or they will fight for Daenerys, dont think either is likely.

I personally think Dorne is out of the fold after they get rid of the two remaining sand snakes. They will just fall into the well that the Stormlands and the Riverlands fell in to. 

Yeah, I thought that much. Good riddance. Although it would sound a bit odd not to address that issue. 

Archived