U.S. Politics: The Jeff Sessions: The Killing of a Keebler Elf

3 minutes ago, commiedore said:

sounds like they have moved on to trying to convince murkowski... lol jesus

Yep.  Think it'd be easier if he didn't threaten her state yesterday...we'll see soon enough.

43 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

It doesn't disagree with me.  I was the one yesterday who was arguing Sessions would force Trump to fire him, and you clearly took issue with this at the time.  Saying otherwise is intellectually dishonest, but whatever let's move on.

I took issue with you saying that Trump wouldn't do it or that it would be a horrible thing for his poll numbers if he did. I never thought that he wouldn't be fired. Sorry if you took it the other way. I'm saying that Trump will fire Sessions fairly soon (especially if the ACA repeal ends up going the way it is right now) and that the end result will be nothing special for Trump's poll numbers, and Republicans will cave despite them talking a lot of shit. 

7 minutes ago, S John said:

There's been plenty of goalpost shifting going on about who is a 'real conservative' to cover the asses of Trump and a seemingly inept congress.  This was going on even before Trump as a plea from conservatives to the nation that the problem is that even some Republicans just aren't conservative enough. 

I'm saying Jeff Sessions is about the point where those goalposts meet a cliff.  You can't use that excuse anymore when it comes to that guy and that is why there's been some resistance from Republicans over Trumps poor treatment of his AG.  His conservative credentials are beyond reproach.  Whether or not Repiblicans do anything about it that would require an actual spine is definitely an open question. 

I guess. Meadows seems pretty beyond reproach. Then again, so did McCain as far as 'real' republicans. 

7 minutes ago, S John said:

But I could see this turning sour for Trump among much of his base.  The line is going to be to declare that Trump's admin (or Trump himself) are too liberal and that is the root of the dysfunction. Just not conservative enough at the top to send this country into an orgasmic state of freedom.  They're already trying this line of bullshit on for size with regard to Ivanka and Kushner.  I could see this damaging Trump and his already dwindling chances at reelection, but I don't know what it'll mean for the next few years, though I tend to believe that discord in the enemy camp is a good thing.  I think going after Sessions is probably the biggest tactical errror Trump has yet made.

The biggest tactical error he's made is going after healthcare in any form, which went against his promises and against the desire of most people. It was Ryan's baby, and it's hurting. If he had gone for tax reform and infrastructure he'd be in a far better position right now. 

Going after Sessions hurts a bit, but honestly if he's got worse to hide and this allows him to get rid of Mueller, that's probably the right choice. He's acting like someone with a lot to hide, though I remain doubtful that it has anything to do with Russia. (him having ties to actual criminal organizations funding him seems far more likely to me). Mostly, I just don't see republicans of any real fashion deciding to fall on their sword for Jeff Sessions. 

Holy hell, McCain went full Maverick. Just voted no on skinny repeal with Murkowski and Collins.

McConnell could hold the vote open for hours a la Delay in 2003, but they've already been on the floor for an hour prior to this trying to flip him.

1 minute ago, commiedore said:

aroused to the point of mania at killing so many poor poeple, pence picks the most inoppurtune time lock himself in the bathroom for an autoerotic flagellation seasion 

Larry Craig says get out of my stall!

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Holy hell, McCain went full Maverick. Just voted no on skinny repeal with Murkowski and Collins.

McConnell could hold the vote open for hours a la Delay in 2003, but they've already been on the floor for an hour prior to this trying to flip him.

cool, now we can look forward to him making sure we start bombing Iran before his brain is completely converted to used motor oil

As I said on twitter, huge thanks to senator Mazie Hirono, who has stage 4 cancer and stayed through all of this bullshit so that she could ensure the Democrats had as many votes as they needed. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I took issue with you saying that Trump wouldn't do it

Like I said, I just want to move on because the rest has devolved into a pissing contest, but on this I must respond:  I never, ever, said Trump wouldn't do it.  I said it'd be incredibly stupid if he did.  And, frankly, my focus and argument was consistently on the firing of Mueller, not Sessions.

5 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Like I said, I just want to move on because the rest has devolved into a pissing contest, but on this I must respond:  I never, ever, said Trump wouldn't do it.  I said it'd be incredibly stupid if he did.  And, frankly, my focus and argument was consistently on the firing of Mueller, not Sessions.

Oh, I think Mueller will be gone assuming congress doesn't pass something to deal with it and make it harder to do. Trump will always abuse his power. He has no restraint. He has no control. And he has the instinct that it is always better to strike when he can instead of wait. 

I think it would look bad, but I also think that it won't move the needle. 

5 minutes ago, S John said:

Wow, what do they do now?

So my feeling is that this is similar to the first setback that the AHCA had, where they said that they were done and moving on, and then it came back in a few weeks. I think they'll spend a bit of time talking things over, making sure that McCain is happy, and actually producing a real, honest to goodness bill. This assumes Trump gives them enough time; I'm kind of thinking he is going to throw a fit and fire a whole lot of people tomorrow. 

Conventional wisdom has it that this reflects badly on Trump and McConnell given their promises over the last many yearrs, but with the vote being this close, it's pretty easy to point to Democrats and those three specific R senators as the antagonists. "We tried our best, but a specific group of people blocked our great, manly efforts." Not a lot of Republican voters are going to be angry over not working with those vile Democrats. So wondering how much this will hurt Trump's approval vs. simply triggering a shitload of death threats against Murkowski.

22 minutes ago, Fez said:

also lol at mccain going "maverick", as if his vote the other day wasn't to set this up for one more media tug job for his 'legacy' 

6 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Conventional wisdom has it that this reflects badly on Trump and McConnell given their promises over the last many yearrs, but with the vote being this close, it's pretty easy to point to Democrats and those three specific R senators as the antagonists. "We tried our best, but a specific group of people blocked our great, manly efforts." So wondering how much this will hurt Trump's approval vs. simply triggering a shitload of death threats against Murkowski.

It's gonna be fun seeing Trump going after brain cancer McCain for a few days. 

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Oh, I think Mueller will be gone assuming congress doesn't pass something to deal with it and make it harder to do.

Or simply by blocking an AG replacement in the event he fires Sessions - which would force him to fire Rosenstein and what's her name below him in order to get someone to fire Mueller.  We're going in circles, just don't misrepresent my position again.

Archived