U.S. Politics: The Jeff Sessions: The Killing of a Keebler Elf

There was this comment I saw linked about him too:

That willingness to take lumps for the president endeared Kelly to Trump. But as one Priebus ally told The Daily Beast: “Loyalty with Trump is a one way street.” And shortly after he took the chief of staff gig, former Kelly colleagues were warning that he will face some complex challenges in the West Wing.

“I worked closely with him at the Department of Defense, and he cherishes regular order, doesn't suffer fools gladly and hates politics,” said Derek Chollet, assistant secretary of defense for international security affairs under Obama. “So I don't see how this is going to end well for him.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/dhs-chief-john-kelly-is-the-new-white-house-alpha-dog-as-priebus-forced-out

Which, kinda, yeah.

I think Trump likes the idea of generals working with him cause he loves that strongman image but even as they sacrifice their dignity for him they don't seem to fit all that well.

It sounds like Trump likes him because he was willing to defend Trump but I don't know if this relationship is gonna last direct contact long unless Kelly is willing to throw himself on the fire for Trump at every opportunity.

12 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

That one (which I just saw) is a bit more disturbing, but I'd treat it as a single data point. It does tell me that Kid Rock wont be a pushover against Stabenow but I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet.

Just like the LA Times poll that everyone dismissed during 2016, right?

Edit 

To clarify: this smacks of the same, constant ad hoc explanations I saw for various "single data points" (ie, polls) during the 2016 election season that predicted Trump's victory--which, at the time--were totally understandable. His election was essentially a paradigm shift in some important ways regarding electoral possibilities. But there is no excuse for that now. Given the current political climate, I don't think it's implausible at all that someone like Kid Rock is polling so well, and is a viable possibility in the case of an actual race. 

I'm not saying push the panic button, but what I am saying is let's not so easily dismiss these unsettling and unfavorable polls as "just single data points." That's a recipe for major disappointment again. 

Of course, it doesn't particularly matter what we, as board members, make of these polls. But I have to imagine many similar conversation are taking place within the Democratic party leadership, and I really hope they aren't taking your position. That sort of complacency is deadly. Especially early on, when long-term election strategy can still be adjusted.

@Shryke

So Kelly is basically Tywin Lannister at King's Landing after Aerys lost his marbles.

Anyway. I just read an interesting piece at 538 by Perry Bacon Jr.

He argues that from formerly 8 fractions in the white house only two are more less standing and fighting over Trump's attention. One being his clan and NY people (Kushner and Ivanka, Scaradouche). The other being the social ultra conservative wing around Pence. The white nationalist fraction around Bannon and Sessions is not dead, but is only able to influence on stuff he agree with them anyway. The GOP establishment fraction has been more or less wiped out with Priebus leaving. The saner voices like McMasters and Tillerson are according to Bacon on the verge of quitting.

Anyway, what I found interesting is the following. The Pence wing (as the author refers to it) is gaining influence, because of the Russia investigation and the leaks. Basically Trump can't afford to piss those guys off, too. Or he might indeed be on his way out through impeachment. So if we follow that logic, one conclusion might be that Pence or somebody close to him is leaking the Russia stuff (basically we ask the standard question in politics cui bono (who benefits)).

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The best part of the story was the quoting of a Russian proverb - free cheese is only available in mousetraps.

That is indeed awesome. I think I will add this proverb to my internal dictionary.

Two interesting tidbits for today:

and Politico has an article up about the ascension of the Tuesday Group and how they're screwing with Ryan et. al.

I think the Repubs are winning the race against Dems of who can splinter first, but let's see.

EDIT: Speaking of which, has anyone been keeping tabs on Kasich and his statements lately? Seems like if anyone's going to Nader Trump in 2020 and try to shore up Decent Republicans™, it could be him.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:30 AM, denstorebog said:

Two interesting tidbits for today:

and Politico has an article up about the ascension of the Tuesday Group and how they're screwing with Ryan et. al.

It just kind of makes you want to sit here in the peanut gallery and snark as this whole boondoggle unfolds. If it wasn't for the fact things will probably end up tragically, it's hilarious to watch the orange one eat the Republican Party and conservatives alive, particularly after they created the flaming orange monster.

As a surprise to no one.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/344463-trump-threatens-to-end-csr-payments-if-healthcare-reform-isnt-passed

President Trump on Saturday threatened to end key payments to insurance companies made under Obamacare if a repeal and replace bill is not passed.

"After seven years of 'talking' Repeal & Replace, the people of our great country are still being forced to live with imploding ObamaCare!" the president wrote in a tweet.

"If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!" he added. 

Having the Republicans vote to affirm a critical component of the ACA will be a capper for all this. 

Given the utter anarchy in the White House, here is a hypothetical that unfortunately has a fair shot of becoming reality. 

Suppose a literal dead body turns up in the White House?  Not some second string staffer or desk jockey, but somebody of the caliber of Kelly or Sessions?  And not an accidental demise either.  And just suppose Trump or one of his close family members was the last one to see said person alive? 

How could something like this be investigated without imploding half the government?

(Note: I do not consider this likely - quite the opposite - but at this point it's something that can't be completely discounted).

Additional note on the new press secretary.  No mention of it in the articles, just in comments...but a some folks seem to believe he has a serious cocaine habit, possibly stemming from his days on Wall Street. 

19 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Additional note on the new press secretary.  No mention of it in the articles, just in comments...but a some folks seem to believe he has a serious cocaine habit, possibly stemming from his days on Wall Street. 

Cocaine habit? That guy is practically the human embodiment of cocaine.

Ignorant question of the day:

It seems a lot of Congressmembers from both sides are pushing back against any notion of firing Mueller, swearing to drop recess to protect Sessions. Won't Trump finding a way to fire Mueller just guarantee that an independent commission will finally be established and take over Mueller's work?

10 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Just like the LA Times poll that everyone dismissed during 2016, right?

Edit 

To clarify: this smacks of the same, constant ad hoc explanations I saw for various "single data points" (ie, polls) during the 2016 election season that predicted Trump's victory--which, at the time--were totally understandable. His election was essentially a paradigm shift in some important ways regarding electoral possibilities. But there is no excuse for that now. Given the current political climate, I don't think it's implausible at all that someone like Kid Rock is polling so well, and is a viable possibility in the case of an actual race. 

I'm not saying push the panic button, but what I am saying is let's not so easily dismiss these unsettling and unfavorable polls as "just single data points." That's a recipe for major disappointment again. 

Of course, it doesn't particularly matter what we, as board members, make of these polls. But I have to imagine many similar conversation are taking place within the Democratic party leadership, and I really hope they aren't taking your position. That sort of complacency is deadly. Especially early on, when long-term election strategy can still be adjusted.

Agreed on your larger point, but the LA Times poll overestimated Trump by 5.3%, tying NBC/Survey Monkey for the most inaccurate national poll conducted during the final week of the election. Overall, national polls were only off by 1.1%, versus almost triple that in Romney's favor in 2012. 

19 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Ignorant question of the day:

It seems a lot of Congressmembers from both sides are pushing back against any notion of firing Mueller, swearing to drop recess to protect Sessions. Won't Trump finding a way to fire Mueller just guarantee that an independent commission will finally be established and take over Mueller's work?

That assumes Republicans are worth anything.

So in reality, probably not.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Cocaine habit? That guy is practically the human embodiment of cocaine.

This generation of Wall Streeters act that way too.  It's never gone away.  Not even in the Great Recession.  They all had great financial packages that allowed them to party like it still as 1999, buying $400 bottles of champers etc. until things came back.

I was there.  I saw them.  I had to hear them boasting about what a great vacay this was, essentially a paid vacay, while the schmucks losing their homes! They were and remain disgusting.

Archived