U.S. Politics: The Jeff Sessions: The Killing of a Keebler Elf

On 7/28/2017 at 10:04 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, just had to give you a little ****. 

Now the question is how long until Reince resigns? He was recently quoted saying that he'll leave after the health care debate was finished. 

To answer my own question, 5 hours.

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

With leaders like this, the democratic party becomes its own worst enemy:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pelosi-unimportant-to-win-midterm-elections/ar-AAp8dav?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

Eh? So Pelosi basically said, our aim is not to play politics in order to win seats in the midterm, but to get better policy passed? Really? That's the thing that's holding Democrats back?

If that's the case. Damn that librul witch from Cali. Let's burn her at the stake, so the gods of gerrymandered districts grant the Democrats better electoral results in 2018.

Sorry, but to me this looks like you (and a few others here) are desperate to find some straw to fight. You can easily go after her for the Democrats results during her reign as speaker and minority leader, which looks like a more legit criticism than that statement - at least imho.

11 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

With leaders like this, the democratic party becomes its own worst enemy:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pelosi-unimportant-to-win-midterm-elections/ar-AAp8dav?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

It's a non-answer to a fucking Fox News host. Feels like he's fishing for a "when will you quit" quote and she just gives him nothing because it's fox news and why would you?

Trying to read anything into it is silly.

10 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Um, that's not very convincing.  Paper ballots have been corrupted since they've existed.  Honestly, just speaking as an observer here, I don't trust paper ballots any more than I do any computerized system.  Anyway, the solution in the United States is mail-in ballots.  There's only three states that do this entirely - Oregon, Washington, and Colorado, but there's plenty of states that have no-excuse absentee voting. (They're the ones in the green).  And, frankly, I've voted absentee one way or another since I was 18, which counts 7 national (2-year) cycles.  At this point, the election board sends me a ballot before I even ask.

Anyway, where am I going with this?  Mail-in voting, that's where.  I suppose it's not the most environmental method, but it has been shown consistently to up turnout and ensure a legit count.  Is there a risk of not counting the least fortunate?  Sure.  That's why you use the VRA to ensure you still have precincts open, but a large-scale shift to mail-in would be beneficial to us all.

Mail in ballots ARE paper ballots. Like, literally.

Also paper ballots are way more secure then any of the alternatives because there's an easy chain of custody and they are the most difficult to change and the easiest to re-check.

100% paper ballots are absolutely the biggest solution the US should be pursuing. Along with shit like voter access and being an actual Democracy.

23 hours ago, Yukle said:

Paper voting is much much MUCH harder to corrupt. Most nations don't even allow pens as voting tools because they're paranoid that the ink will rub off (like with a lot of gel pens) or people will switch authentic pens for fading pens surreptitiously at voting booths they know will back their opponents.

I don't think this is true and doesn't even make much sense, especially when the alternative is a pencil which there's this fancy new fangled invention called an eraser that's specifically designed to remove pencil marks.

The real reason pencils are generally used (according to a news article on the issue I read a while ago) is purely practical, they're cheap, and they don't dry out if you store them for years between elections. But in both Australia and the UK, and I'd imagine elsewhere, a vote in pen is just as legally valid as a vote in pencil, you just have to bring your own.

20 hours ago, Yukle said:

Before I keep slamming the USA, though, Australia has its own quirks. We have preferential voting and all boxes must be numbered. There are usually more than 100 Senate candidates per state. If you make any mistake - skipping a number, writing one twice, leaving a box blank by mistake - too bad, so sad, your ballot may be disregarded. By sheer coincidence, those with low numeracy are the most likely to be confounded by this process, and are more likely to live in poorer areas. Starting to spot a theme here...

Sorry to continue with the commonwealth nations derail, but again this simply isn't the case. Pre-2016 you could always vote by putting a 1 in your party of preference and nothing else. Now you have to number 1-6 in order of preference. You only ever ended up numbering 100+ if you were feeling particually masochistic and voted below the line. But even there now you only need to number up to 12.

I know, Jeff Flake has done his part to put the well-oiled machine in place, voting for Anorexic Repeal etc. But still, it does give me a bit of hope to see him go to town on the disease of the Republican party. Surprisingly introspective for a Republican. This is how it begins, with someone on the inside at least addressing the gorilla.

Now they just need some confirmation that there are actual Republican voters out there willing to reward a more centrist approach. No matter what sins Flake may have committed, if people like him are systematically primaried over the next years, Congress and the country are well and truly fucked.

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Anyway, where am I going with this?  Mail-in voting, that's where.

The problem with mail-in (and online voting) is that actually filling in the ballot is entirely unregulated. There's nothing to ensure people get to vote freely without being watched and pressured by anyone. Or even that people get to fill in their own ballots at all.

4 minutes ago, felice said:

The problem with mail-in (and online voting) is that actually filling in the ballot is entirely unregulated. There's nothing to ensure people get to vote freely without being watched and pressured by anyone. Or even that people get to fill in their own ballots at all.

This is true but not particularly meaningful compared to the massive turnout and ease of use that it engenders. And there are ways of solving it too, such as being able to strike your vote from the record in the future if you choose to do so.

You can also do things to circumvent it if you're worried, such as request a pick-up ballot at a polling station and the like, at least in Washington State. 

22 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Now they just need some confirmation that there are actual Republican voters out there willing to reward a more centrist approach. No matter what sins Flake may have committed, if people like him are systematically primaried over the next years, Congress and the country are well and truly fucked.

We've already gone past that point. Richard Lugar got primaried like 6 years ago. He was at least replaced by a Democrat (who is up for re-election in 2018, I believe) but there's no sign that centrist Republicans will do well, and every sign that they will be primaried. 

Maybe Trump will re-hire The Mooch tomorrow since the White House appears to be still leaking like a mofo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-dictated-sons-misleading-statement-on-meeting-with-russian-lawyer/2017/07/31/04c94f96-73ae-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_airforceone-759pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.9b5e903578cb

On the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Germany last month, President Trump’s advisers discussed how to respond to a new revelation that Trump’s oldest son had met with a Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign — a disclosure the advisers knew carried political and potentially legal peril. 

The strategy, the advisers agreed, should be for Donald Trump Jr. to release a statement to get ahead of the story. They wanted to be truthful, so their account couldn’t be repudiated later if the full details emerged.

But within hours, at the president’s direction, the plan changed.

Flying home from Germany on July 8 aboard Air Force One, Trump personally dictated a statement in which Trump Jr. said that he and the Russian lawyer had “primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children” when they met in June 2016, according to multiple people with knowledge of the deliberations. The statement, issued to the New York Times as it prepared an article, emphasized that the subject of the meeting was “not a campaign issue at the time.”

The claims were later shown to be misleading.

------

The extent of the president’s personal intervention in his son’s response, the details of which have not previously been reported, adds to a series of actions that Trump has taken that some advisers fear could place him and some members of his inner circle in legal jeopardy.

As special counsel Robert S. Mueller III looks into potential obstruction of justice as part of his broader investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, these advisers worry that the president’s direct involvement leaves him needlessly vulnerable to allegations of a coverup.

“This was . . . unnecessary,” said one of the president’s advisers, who like most other people interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. “Now someone can claim he’s the one who attempted to mislead. Somebody can argue the president is saying he doesn’t want you to say the whole truth.”

More "nothing burger" or is this another step towards obstruction of justice?

10 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

What in the actual fuck? She is crippling her own party nation-wide.

Par for the course for national democrats. They are currently ina fund raising cycle built around the "better deal" brand . It isn't actual policy, they could care less about policy, they never have to implement policy of the lose, since their goal is to lose that means that "policy" is just a code word they use for fund raising. It isn't about policy because they cannot implement any policy unless they win. And winning is not a goal for them. Fund raising is a goal for them .

if winning elections interferes with fund raising then the dccc will do everything possible to avoid winning elections.

Archived