#16 - a shadow of a game

a free shadow

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Interesting set of clues. Which one is the hardest for everyone?

Tricky round overall. I'm struggling to make any sense out of both 2 and 5.

I have been made aware that my clue is causing problems too though and I may have to try to defend it at the end of the game.

Clue 2 is indeed difficult to even understand. I did make a (seemingly reasonable) guess for that, too, and now I don't know if it is the incorrect one or not. (I have several guesses I'm not sure about, but only one of them is incorrect.) Unfortunately, I don't have a theme idea that I could take seriously. 

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Interesting set of clues. Which one is the hardest for everyone?

Oh come on, you know which one. I am pleased everyone else appears confounded too, though. Wouldn't want to suffer alone.

23 hours ago, Castellan said:

Oh come on, you know which one. I am pleased everyone else appears confounded too, though. Wouldn't want to suffer alone.

I don't want to spoil the surprise so all I'll say is you'd be surprised how often I think a clue will be easy and it's obtuse but the ones I feel are so cryptic get solved.

I do also issue a decree that the person who will end up in the third place (currently held by rocksniffer!) will own Halloween candy for the person finishing in the second place :ninja: Must be made good on within three generations!

And the person finishing in the fifth place will own a Halloween story to the winner :ninja:

Besides everybody owning everything to me, of course :pirate:

11 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I don't want to soul the surprise so all I'll say is you'd be surprised how often I think a clue will be easy and it's obtuse but the ones I feel are so cryptic get solved.

I admit I have felt this way occasionally. This round may be one of them.

shit...

what day is it...

what time is it...where is the sun rising....or the wind blowing

i have no guesses...hell at this point i am not even sure the answer i have for my own clue is right...

:shocked:

10 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

shit...

what day is it...

what time is it...where is the sun rising....or the wind blowing

i have no guesses...hell at this point i am not even sure the answer i have for my own clue is right...

:shocked:

my own clue is annoying me as it doesn't fit my only half decent theme idea

There is no house

In Old Orleans

It lies in shadow lands

And when you come

To Old Orleans

You’ll need a helping hand* :ninja:

The theme is “The person above saved [the life of] the person below”**
1. Conversationally wanting orphan pursues detective. Podrick Payne (Julia H.)
2. Larger and neatly revealed form crowns. Tyrion Lannister (Ser Not Appearing)
3. Loved alternate northerner, really! Fiercely committed. Catelyn Stark (rocksniffer)
4. Churlish wench overcomes prisoner's disdain. Brienne of Tarth (Castellan)
5. Loathsome a necklace, renal fluid consumed. Jaime Lannister (Raisin Bran/and shadow)
6. Clandestine webbing of portly deceptions. Varys (Dolorous Gabe)
7. Liability, as naturally resembles father. Chased. Gendry (Fragile Bird/and shadow)

Podrick saved Tyrion during Blackwater, Tyrion saved Catelyn on the way to the Vale, Catelyn saved Brienne by getting her away after Renly died, Brienne saved Jaime by sinking the archers chasing them, Jaime saved Varys by stopping the wildfire plot, Varys saved Gendry by getting Yoren to take him away from the King’s Landing.

**I was saddened to learn that I did a theme on the same principle before (it was “Character above broke bread with the character below”). I do not have it in my memory, or I would have never done this :frown5: 

Castellan reminded of this among her thoughts for the theme, and she also had the correct theme in mind, but chose a different guess in the end :ninja: 

The only person to get the theme (and all the clues!) correct this time was Raisin Bran! He is the only one to send in the answer to the second clue, written by Ser and referring to "When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king." I think it is one of the good clues in the world! :ninja:

Most of the favorite clue votes (two!) went to rocksniffer, who gets the second place for all of it!

And the first place was defended by Julia H., who wins everything! And also a Halloween story from Raisin Bran.

Julia H. 39 + 12 = 51

2. rocksniffer 31 + 14 = 45

3. Castellan 35 + 7 = 42

4. Dolorous Gabe 29 + 10 = 39

5. Raisin Bran 15 + 18 = 33

6-7. Ser not Appearing 22 + 7 = 29

6-7. Fragile Bird 28 +1 =29

1 point was given for submitting an entry, 2 points for guessing a clue correctly, 4 points for guessing the theme, 1 point for voting for a favorite clue, 1 point for each favourite vote received (except clues 5 and 7, for I wrote some parts of them) :ninja: 

*The poetry in all rounds was written within 1 minute deadline. There was no good reason you had to read it, just a bad reason :ninja:

EFF EFF EFF EFF EFF EFF

The characters who I was sure of were so interrelated that I thought it might be a theme where each character had saved the life of someone else on the list, or several other similar themes (shared a meal, let a person escape), but as I did not have enough clues I could not narrow it down, it just remained a possibility.

After prelim I changed correct Catelyn to incorrect Roslin and left my two incorrect answers in.

My big mistake was seeing Varys as Godric Borrell who has webbed fingers, is thick and portly, lives on SIsterton which is basically a seedy port with smugglers etc and the locals have traditionally made a living by every now and then changing the lighthouse lights to wreck ships and take their cargo (very clandestine). After a bit of wise counselling about not focusing on what was wrong with my answers but what made them right, I decided that this was on my list of almost certainly correct answers! Once having seen 'webbing' as a maritime feature I never thought of spiders. How peculiar. I must have seen 50 clues using web for Varys in the course of all these games, too. The trouble was, Godric had very little in common with any other characters so I kept returning to characteristics of Godric for any theme guesses, to narrow the scope. Ha!

Tyrion did initially cross my mind for #2 just because practically everything is 'larger' than him but I am pleased to say I still don't get the clue so no matter how I beat myself up I know I was just not getting that one. Anyone want to explain? Oh, I have just now realised that practically everyone is more 'neatly arranged' than Tyrion given he is not just a dwarf he has added problems.

Congratulations to all those with cooler brains than mine and commiserations to all who struggled like me.

Thanks shadow for an interesting game.

I have also just realised I didn't send in a favourite clue. So sorry. 

Hm, I'm still not sure about the Tyrion clue... Anyway. I had three ideas for it: The first was Drogo - he was large, and I imagine the Dothraki clothes may have revealed quite a lot of his large body and he crowned Viserys. I discarded this idea soon enough. Then I thought it might be the Greatjon (the larger one of the two Jon Umbers) as he points at Robb with his unusually large sword saying "The King-in-the-North!". I thought "revealed" might refer to the unsheathing of the sword (the sword is revealed). Then I came across the information that the High Septon that Tyrion chose received a larger crystal crown (from Tywin) than the one his predecessor had had. This crown is always conspicuous as it is very tall and makes the High Septon seem taller, and it also looks nice (with all the rainbow imagery around it), so I was 99% sure that is was that correct answer, but, unfortunately, it greatly reduced the theme possibilities.

@Castellan, I didn't get the Varys clue immediately either. At first I focused on "portly" and I thought it was Lord Manderly, fat and making secret plans in a port city (White Harbor) - I considered it a brilliant clue and wanted to make it my favorite clue until I realized that it was only plump Varys with the usual spider reference. (Sorry, Gabe. :)

I didn't solve the theme, but it did occur to me (among many other ideas) that many of these characters saved someone's life - but I couldn't think of any lives that Varys saved (I simply forgot that he sent Gendry to the Night's Watch to save his life). I also couldn't think of anybody the High Septon :D saved, so this theme idea didn't seem to be any stronger than all the others I had. My character was Podrick, and while I thought of Pod saving Tyrion's life, without getting the Tyrion clue, I couldn't have thought of this particular theme anyway. Nor would I have thought of Jaime saving Varys when he stopped the wildfire plot (though it's technically true). With regard to Brienne and Jaime, I only thought of Jaime saving Brienne, not vice versa. 

Anyway, the theme guess I eventually offered to our host was that these characters saw wildfire. I knew it wasn't a strong theme idea (but it didn't seem worse than anything else that occurred to me) because Brienne just might have seen wildfire among the BwB (if Thoros showed her his flaming sword, but we don't know that it happened.) All the others though...  Podric took part in the Battle of Blackwater Bay; the High Septon must have seen the battle and the fire, as well as the burning of the Hand's Tower, from Visenya's Hill; Catelyn as Lady Stoneheart is acquainted with Thoros; Jaime saw the burning of the Hand's Tower and saw wildfire in the Mad King's time; the same goes for Varys (who may also have witnessed the Battle of Blackwater Bay from some tower); and Gendry must have seen Thoros (or Berick?) fight with his flaming sword. So that was my last theme guess and I even thought if it was correct, the list would surely include Sandor or Cersei or Tyrion - and now it turns out that Tyrion is indeed included in the list! :P

Congratulations to @Raisin' Bran on getting the theme as well as all the clues! 

Many thanks to @a free shadow for an exciting and challenging game!

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

@Castellan, I didn't get the Varys clue immediately either. At first I focused on "portly" and I thought it was Lord Manderly, fat and making secret plans in a port city (White Harbor) - I considered it a brilliant clue and wanted to make it my favorite clue until I realized that it was only plump Varys with the usual spider reference. (Sorry, Gabe. :)

It's tough to make a challenging clue for Varys. He's just so distinctive. Ser NA managed it that one time, still his best clue ever IMO.

I admit it was miles away from my best work. My first choice was vetoed and I didn't have much time after getting home from Iceland to come up with something. My first choice was: Covert warden of pseudonymous deception (referencing his Rugen persona). I grudgingly accepted our esteemed host's assessment.

I actually ended up voting for a clue I had wrong, even though my answer was far better. I now despise that clue, truly hate it. I dismissed the given answer and I stand by my position that it does not truly fit. Two other characters fit much better. I will say no more than this.

Good game, all. Congrats to Julia H for winning yet again, to shadow for hosting a game in spite of the show, to sniffer for finishing in an impressive 2nd place, to Raisin' Bran for a sterling final round performance, and to everyone else for creating some wonderful clues for this game.

Shall I host a new game of Acrophobia in the near future? Or Acrophilia? I'm happy to do either.

Archived