Small "others" reference by Tyrion

After we are 1st introduced to Qyburn... In the following Tyrion chapter at the beginning 

Tyrion notes that "nothing remained beyond the King's Gate but mud and ashes and bits of burned bone, yet already there were people living in the shadow of the city walls"..... "They come back quicker than rats" he complained "we burned them out once, you'd think they'd take that as a lesson"

"Give me a few dozen gold cloaks and I'll kill them all" said Bronn "Once they're dead they don't come back" 

"No, but others come in their places. Leave them be.... The war's not done yet, no matter what these fools may think."

Sidenotes: I don't think you could "burn" others with ordinary fire but tbh I'd have to reread Waymars chapter and fist of first men (exceptions could be dragonflame and Valyrian steel) and definitely Dragonglass or as the maesters call it Obsidian. 

Tyrion obviously is referencing the WT5K not the fight for dawn. I know 

"

Well, I see that you understand when Tyrion says "others come in their place", he's referring to "other smallfolk", not the inhuman semi-mythical monsters from north of the Wall. That said, the Tyrion/Bronn exchange is out of place and kinda weird. My opinion.

Could fire harm The Others (what the show calls "White Walkers")? Well, if cold is their weapon and their swords are so cold that they cause normal steel to shatter, and if severe, sub-freezing cold comes with them whenever they approach, it would seem like any significant warmth would have serious effects on them. Of greater concern - does the presence of the Others have a damping effect on fire. If so, then simply burning out their wights ( the "Wight Walkers", har!) might not even work. And dragons would fall from the sky.

Seems to me it's just Martin being cute while reminding the reader the real threat is still looming. Given dragonglass is supposed to be "frozen fire" I would imagine fire wouldn't be good for the Others. It's just often a moot point given the severe cold of the Others often extinguishes any flame. In cases of extreme heat like wildfire or dragonfire, I imagine the results wouldn't be good for the Others.

All this exchange really reminds me of is how much more interesting the political maneuvering is in the novels than the fantasy elements.

1 hour ago, zandru said:

Well, I see that you understand when Tyrion says "others come in their place", he's referring to "other smallfolk", not the inhuman semi-mythical monsters from north of the Wall. That said, the Tyrion/Bronn exchange is out of place and kinda weird. My opinion.

Could fire harm The Others (what the show calls "White Walkers")? Well, if cold is their weapon and their swords are so cold that they cause normal steel to shatter, and if severe, sub-freezing cold comes with them whenever they approach, it would seem like any significant warmth would have serious effects on them. Of greater concern - does the presence of the Others have a damping effect on fire. If so, then simply burning out their wights ( the "Wight Walkers", har!) might not even work. And dragons would fall from the sky.

I agree this is the biggest question. Waymar Royce's torch went out but for some reason it seems 

Like I said I would need to do more research but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Others could put out fire that is near them. And even have some Ice/Weirwood weapon for those dragons.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Seems to me it's just Martin being cute while reminding the reader the real threat is still looming. Given dragonglass is supposed to be "frozen fire" I would imagine fire wouldn't be good for the Others. It's just often a moot point given the severe cold of the Others often extinguishes any flame. In cases of extreme heat like wildfire or dragonfire, I imagine the results wouldn't be good for the Others.

All this exchange really reminds me of is how much more interesting the political maneuvering is in the novels than the fantasy elements.

Most certainly. Martin is cute like that. 

Archived