The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

On 4/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

Sexy enough?    Yes.   

Ms. Mars Marine comes off as a bit incompetent overall if you look at all the things that trip her up, but she handles it all in the end which is the important measuring stick?    And you're less tempted to call her a mary sue.

Uh... this proto molecule gives the impression of being Techno Zeus Jizz that impregnates the universe with possibilities galore.  Everything it touches gets knocked up.   Space Jizz Wars (SJW).

Most amused when Cotyar refers to Bobbie as “our Martian tank”!

Noticing a little more Buzz about this show , I hope it's enough to keep it going.

Bezos said he wanted a 'Game of Thrones' show for Amazon. I don't think spending 250 million dollars for Tolkien is going to do it , even if it's well done. Amazon should buy this show or maybe just buy SyFy! Chump change to them!

On 4/17/2018 at 11:36 AM, boojam said:

Noticing a little more Buzz about this show , I hope it's enough to keep it going.

Apparently not here...which is weird. This board should be all over The Expanse. Would't mind reading a few debates about the differences between the books and the show, for starters. 

So many of the changes fall into the "this could have been off 'screen' in the books" rather than overt changes so I'm not even sure what most of them are.

The Sam/Drummer situation is an obvious one, and I'm OK with that. I am

Spoiler

starting to wonder if she's also been merged with Michio Pa after the first episode of this season, it did seem to be setting up turning her against Fred. I didn't expect that to happen since Drummer doesn't even come into the books until Pa has joined up with Marco.

Are there any differences in particular you had in mind Relic?

10 hours ago, Relic said:

Apparently not here...which is weird. This board should be all over The Expanse. Would't mind reading a few debates about the differences between the books and the show, for starters. 

I think part of the problem might be the shitty ditribution outside the US. In the UK at least, I'll have to wait until late summer/early autumn if I want to watch it legally. I could just watch it on one of the many online stream channels but I want by viewing to register in a way that will support the show. I'm guessing others will be doing the same (or simply dodging illegal stream site).

So while most of the board are probably US based, I think the general banter on the board is very international. In fact the more time zones, the more buzz as we get 24 hour input on popular shows.

Just did a quick check and Netflix technically have this as an "original" meaning they pretty much have exclusive rights to it in the following countries at least

"Many regions get the show exclusively including but not limited to, the United Kingdom, Australia, France, Germany, India, Japan, Spain, Israel and the Netherlands."

That's a lot of viewers (and time zones) left out.

Contrast that with shows that air within 24hours of the US eg Westworld, Walking Dead and maybe the most like-for-like comparison Star Trek Discovery and there's a lot more buzz on the boards. Really, Netflix should be considering airing the Expanse like they do ST:D. I'm guessing it's not entirely Netflix's fault and is probably more to do with syfy protecting their airing of the show. If that's the case they are really misinformed as the rest of the world being able to see the show doesn't affect viewing figures in the US - unless they like to see how many illegal downloads/streams occur by copying the syfy broadcast.

After what I felt was a somewhat weak first episode, I think they came back really strong this week. Good job ratcheting up the tension with the Roci and co. and I felt that the scenes with Anna were placed in such a way as to not disrupt that pacing. The stuff with Prax and Amos was a little pointless, don't remember that being in the books so I assume it was added to increase tension, though it has been a while since I read Caliban's War.

Not sure about how I feel about how they introduced Anna, I really like how she was introduced in Abaddon's Gate, and I don't really care for her being a former aid for the Secretary General. Just doesn't jive with the Anna I think of.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

So many of the changes fall into the "this could have been off 'screen' in the books" rather than overt changes so I'm not even sure what most of them are.

The Sam/Drummer situation is an obvious one, and I'm OK with that. I am

Reveal hidden contents

starting to wonder if she's also been merged with Michio Pa after the first episode of this season, it did seem to be setting up turning her against Fred. I didn't expect that to happen since Drummer doesn't even come into the books until Pa has joined up with Marco.

Are there any differences in particular you had in mind Relic?

Well, maybe im mis-remembering but didn't Holden give Fred the PM in the books? 

12 hours ago, Relic said:

Just looking at it each novel runs approximately 600 pages and shades towards Song of Ice and Fire elaboration (tho not quite that much), sure makes the adaptation work hard. The show has had to do what Dave and Dan have done with GoT , kinda (rejiggering) . So far it's been fine with me. One thing about it , like GoT , the show frames the story with a level of sophistication such that one needs to pay attention. I like that they have kept the not-so-typical-characters from the books. I see some people complain about that, I wonder if those people are fans of GoT?

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Contrast that with shows that air within 24hours of the US eg Westworld, Walking Dead and maybe the most like-for-like comparison Star Trek Discovery and there's a lot more buzz on the boards. Really, Netflix should be considering airing the Expanse like they do ST:D. I'm guessing it's not entirely Netflix's fault and is probably more to do with syfy protecting their airing of the show. If that's the case they are really misinformed as the rest of the world being able to see the show doesn't affect viewing figures in the US - unless they like to see how many illegal downloads/streams occur by copying the syfy broadcast.

I have not kept up with it , I suppose HBO has solved the international problem of distribution of GoT? SyFy does not even market the show well. I watch the show on Amazon, can't abide commercials. Like I said above Amazon ought to buy this show from SyFy since they are looking for something like GoT.

21 minutes ago, boojam said:

I have not kept up with it , I suppose HBO has solved the international problem of distribution of GoT? SyFy does not even market the show well. I watch the show on Amazon, can't abide commercials. Like I said above Amazon ought to buy this show from SyFy since they are looking for something like GoT.

I think HBO shows are often distributed via Sky entertainment, at least in the UK. So people can watch as long as they subscribe to the cable/streaming provider.

If Amazon has it in some countries it could be messy given Netflix has it many places too.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Well, maybe im mis-remembering but didn't Holden give Fred the PM in the books? 

Hmm now you ask I'm not sure - I thought it was Naomi as in the show, but I haven't read it in a while. If you're right then that feels like a change that was made to fit in with Holden being more of an asshole in S2 as he became unhinged about the PM due to his PTSD. That was ultimately a result of the time compression - the gap between book 1 and 2 gave him some recovery time, he had not had any at all in the show. So as such I'm still OK with it, it feels like ongoing efforts to stay true to the characters as they're being depicted.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I think HBO shows are often distributed via Sky entertainment, at least in the UK. So people can watch as long as they subscribe to the cable/streaming provider.

If Amazon has it in some countries it could be messy given Netflix has it many places too.

Sky (usually Sky Atlantic) usually distributes both HBO and Showtime content I think. Westworld, Thrones, Billions, Penny Dreadful, The Tunnel, etc. For the big shows they also do simulcast now too, which is fun (I know this is the case for Thrones and Westworld at least).

eta: the distribution of The Expanse is just maddening for me. Especially as it’s a show I would actually like to discuss. By the time I get around to watching it everyone has moved on

It's really a shame that SyFy and whoever else is involved in this has done such a piss-poor job at delivering this show to other countries outside of the US. And even their promotion of the show within the US is weak. The best show they've had in years, and it's like they actively don't want it to succeed. And now I'm more worried; while I like the actress who plays Anna, she carries a curse with her for SF shows.

The chase/battle sequence in last night's episode was pretty dope. More, more, more.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It's really a shame that SyFy and whoever else is involved in this has done such a piss-poor job at delivering this show to other countries outside of the US. And even their promotion of the show within the US is weak. The best show they've had in years, and it's like they actively don't want it to succeed. And now I'm more worried; while I like the actress who plays Anna, she carries a curse with her for SF shows.

The chase/battle sequence in last night's episode was pretty dope. More, more, more.

Are we talking about whatshername from LOST? Because that was an unwelcome addition to the show. I have nothing but vaguely ridiculous memories of her being the star of a Lizard movie before going back to LOST after dying or something?

51 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

So, that is why she looks so familiar... I also remember her from OUAT.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Sky (usually Sky Atlantic) usually distributes both HBO and Showtime content I think. Westworld, Thrones, Billions, Penny Dreadful, The Tunnel, etc. For the big shows they also do simulcast now too, which is fun (I know this is the case for Thrones and Westworld at least).

eta: the distribution of The Expanse is just maddening for me. Especially as it’s a show I would actually like to discuss. By the time I get around to watching it everyone has moved on

Hence why I believe that what HBO is doing with GoT and its original programming, airing it simultaneously across the globe is the best way to keep the net buzzing about it in the right way. As Season 7 showed us, it can be tricky, but it is also manageable. 

But, yeah, TBH, save here, I don't know a place to discuss The Expanse. For some reason, it remains a niche here in Serbia. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Thanks. I was wondering what I've seen her in before, Revolution, which I gave up on after the first season.

Fun episode. The space battle was great. Really the space scenes are the strength of this series. I find the political maneuvering and dynamics to be a bit weak, kind of a Checkers to Chess comparison.

This was another episode where the tensions and disagreements of the Roci crew are resolved off screen. It slightly annoyed me with the crew arguing about responding to the distress call in one scene and then just arriving to save the day. It tends to hollow those disagreements making them feel like a waste of screen time. Just show more space scenes. I could just as happily watch these ships fly around in space for an hour.

I'm really glad Anna is making it to the screen. She's one of the most unique sci-fi characters out there, and her pov is a good one even if her storyline wasn't incredible in the books.

Apparently SyFy isn't the ones responsible for distribution, it's the parent company. SyFy is responsible for US distribution. And yes, it's frustrating as hell how weird it's spread out. 

Per the creators the best thing you can do is watch it live; the next best is to record it and watch it within 3 days. That's for SyFy to keep it going. For the overall show, the best thing is to simply buy it outright. 

On 10/1/2017 at 1:14 AM, red snow said:

I was wary of the guy playing Amos when it was first announced but he absolutely nails it. He's got this weird child-like innocence about him yet you can tell he's on a different wavelength and will kill you if you get in the way of him and those he wishes to protect. I think book Amos is generally more intimidating but I really like the way the actor conveys him on screen.

I'm confused by something here. In season 1 or 2 Amos had a talk with the scientist that was kidnapped or left with Dawes and the scientist said that he could help him. The next time we saw Amos he had a weird look on his face so I assumed that the scientist gave him the same procedure that he took to get rid of his empathy.

Did that happen or not?

Archived