SpaceChampion

The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

64 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2017 at 1:14 AM, red snow said:

I was wary of the guy playing Amos when it was first announced but he absolutely nails it. He's got this weird child-like innocence about him yet you can tell he's on a different wavelength and will kill you if you get in the way of him and those he wishes to protect. I think book Amos is generally more intimidating but I really like the way the actor conveys him on screen.

I'm confused by something here. In season 1 or 2 Amos had a talk with the scientist that was kidnapped or left with Dawes and the scientist said that he could help him. The next time we saw Amos he had a weird look on his face so I assumed that the scientist gave him the same procedure that he took to get rid of his empathy.

Did that happen or not?

6 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Did that happen or not?

No.  Amos is somewhere on the psychopath spectrum.  He doesn't have empathy to begin with.  I think it was implied Amos is wondering if that the procedure was done to him in the past against his will?  I don't know, I'm not that far in the book series if that's a thing from the books.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

No.  Amos is somewhere on the psychopath spectrum.  He doesn't have empathy to begin with.  I think it was implied Amos is wondering if that the procedure was done to him in the past against his will?  I don't know, I'm not that far in the book series if that's a thing from the books.

I thought it was more he could see he had a lot in common with the lobotomised scientists and he wondered if his life would be easier if he was a little more like them? Plus it was at a time where he was feeling helpless with all the shit going on. He tends to become more introverted and antagonistic in those scenarios because he can't deal with feeling helpless and he tends to express in a negative fashion.

He is definitely on the psychopath spectrum. He just tends to tag along to one person who is then intensely loyal to. In this case Naomi. He could easily be an evil henchman if he tagged on to the wrong person. The question is whether he deleberately chooses someone who has a better moral compass with him on purpose? I think he does but he doesn't like to admit it. Maybe a case of a bad person trying to be good.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I thought it was more he could see he had a lot in common with the lobotomised scientists and he wondered if his life would be easier if he was a little more like them? Plus it was at a time where he was feeling helpless with all the shit going on. He tends to become more introverted and antagonistic in those scenarios because he can't deal with feeling helpless and he tends to express in a negative fashion.

He is definitely on the psychopath spectrum. He just tends to tag along to one person who is then intensely loyal to. In this case Naomi. He could easily be an evil henchman if he tagged on to the wrong person. The question is whether he deleberately chooses someone who has a better moral compass with him on purpose? I think he does but he doesn't like to admit it. Maybe a case of a bad person trying to be good.

My shorthand Amos essentially boils down to "There but for the grace of god go I"

The actor is terrific but as has been bemoaned already the show fails to adequately let the characters breathe a lot so motivations seem unclear.