Comrade Detective: Amazon's Romanian cop-show spoof

AncalagonTheBlack

haha..this looks CRAZY! :D

Set up as a classic Cold War show now brought to the West via Amazon and A24 with voiceovers by the Magic Mike star, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and others, the August 4 debuting series from The Sitter screenwriterBrian Gatewood and Alex Tanaka is solid tongue in cheek.

The premise is this is a recently rediscovered classic that the American stars have overdubbed to bring to U.S. audiences. With Tatum and Gordon-Levitt providing the English language voices, Detectives Gregor Anghel and Iosef Baciu are played on screen by Romanian actors, Florin Piersic Jr. (Killing Time) and Corneliu Ulici (The Devil Inside).

Jenny Slate and Chloë Sevigny will also be providing their vocal talents to the show as will Jake Johnson, Jason Mantzoukas, Nick Offerman and Fred Armisen. Oscar winners Kim Basinger, and Mahershala Ali, along with Tracey Letts, Bobby Cannavale, Richard Jenkins, Debra Winger, Mark Duplass, Katie Aselton Duplass, Jerrod Carmichael, Bo Burnham and John Early are on-board voiceoverwise too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So,did anyone else besides Myshkin watch this? :D Thinking of bingeing this.

I saw it. Lots of my friends are Romanian and we watched it together. 

Its a great idea but I don’t think they followed through on the concept very well. It doesn’t really know what it is, it has very few jokes or good jokes and so is barely a comedy. It’s obviously not s serious drama either.

Its simply not funny enough to be worth watching I’m afraid. There is only one real joke and it is that they occasionally mention how great Romania is, or like how good it’s healthcare system is. Otherwise it’s pretty much devoid of humour.

which i found odd. It had loads of potential but was wasted I think 

I disagree entirely. It’s satire, not sitcom. The humor doesn’t come from jokes; it comes from how it apes the beats of the genre it’s parodying, as well as its hyperbolic treatment of a specific time and place in history. 

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I disagree entirely. It’s satire, not sitcom. The humor doesn’t come from jokes; it comes from how it apes the beats of the genre it’s parodying, as well as its hyperbolic treatment of a specific time and place in history. 

What exactly is it satirising though? It doesn't really seem to ape any recognisable format, or feel like its from a particular time period. Its also has some very silly broad bits of comedy that stand out quite a lot from the tone of the show.

4 hours ago, Eggegg said:

What exactly is it satirising though? It doesn't really seem to ape any recognisable format, or feel like its from a particular time period. Its also has some very silly broad bits of comedy that stand out quite a lot from the tone of the show.

In broad strokes, it’s parodying the cop drama, and satirizing communist propaganda. In a subtler way it’s also satirizing American propaganda by heavily leaning into all the stereotypes Americans believed about communist countries during the Reagan era.

On 13/11/2017 at 0:02 AM, Myshkin said:

In broad strokes, it’s parodying the cop drama, and satirizing communist propaganda. In a subtler way it’s also satirizing American propaganda by heavily leaning into all the stereotypes Americans believed about communist countries during the Reagan era.

Well there is obviously a conflict there as its either a satire of communist propaganda or western propaganda, it can't be both as the messages are exactly opposite.

My problem is just how poorly observed it is. Firstly, it doesn't look like it was made in the 80s, its lighting, the way its shot, sound quality, the acting, style etc all look like it was made last year.. except some people are wearing some 80's coats. Secondly it doesn't feel authentic in the way its written, its done for laughs sometimes but it isn't absurd enough to really work (like say Police Squad or something) even though some of the plot lines are ludicrous. 

Either way I was deeply disappointed in it. Having Jon Ronson involved made me optimistic, but its aim seems so confused and its just not funny. Its not an accurate depiction of communist Romania either, or even a worthwhile satire of propaganda. 

Archived