Dragons

I was recently thinking about the dragons of old, why they fell, and exactly what their lives where like. Now, we know that damn near every dragon has a specified date of death or at least some description like "died after event x occurred". I was thinking about how comparatively, the dragons Dany has (of Essos) are probably a good deal more robust or healthy than any that might have been hatched from old Targ eggs. This is because these dragons had declined in health and stamina as a result of being bred and raised in the dragon pit. The dragons of Essos, to our knowledge, never received such treatment. But where were dragons like Balerion, Vhagar or Sunfyre kept at King's Landing? Where would Aegon have kept BalerionThese huge dragons needed some place to reside. I doubt any king or prince would want to be very far away from their dragon.

It took a long time to build Kings Landing unto the children and grandchildren and well into Balon the Blessed's time.    It's also said that Aegon, at least, travelled quite a bit leaving the rule of Kings Landing to Visenya for the most part.    I doubt there was a dragon pit.   There were only the 3 dragons and they were huge.   I don't know if they have to have a home base, but Dragonstone really isn't that far from KL by air.   It's safe to believe these dragons resulted from eggs in the cradle and grew to adulthood with their humans, bonded and trained as well as a dragon can be trained.  When considering Aegon's Conquest you have to throw Dany's story out.   She doesn't know what to do--no one has given her instruction.   She's feeling her way through it.  Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys were real honest to goodness dragon lords.   I'm sure their magic was fully vested in each of the dragons.   In consideration of these differences, it's probable that Balerion, Meraxes and Vhagar were better behaved than Drogon, Rhaegal & Viserion.    The people of Westeros were frightened of the mighty dragons.  Their masters were never said to fear their dragons.    I bet they could take them any where any time.

Dragonstone  seems logical for the most part, a lot of them seem to run wild there.

As for when they are around KL 2 options they are well trained as curled finger suggest and simply rest/perch in one place until called on, or roam free and can can be called on from as far away as dragonstone.

Dany seems to have a bond with her dragon suggesting the later, although some training would still be needed to stop them burning and killing at will.

Agreed, with the above two posters, Dragonstone seems like an ideal place given there is plenty of room for them.

I think the dragons would simply have rested somewhere close to the royal castle.  

I also agree that Dragonstone is close enough that the dragons could easily fly there for rest and sleep.  Also, large balconies and flat roofs could have easily been incorporated into the design of some of the taller and more important structures within the Red Keep including Maegor's Holdfast and the Great Hall to allow take-offs and landings as conveniently as possible for members of the royal family. 

On 7/27/2017 at 4:27 PM, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

I was recently thinking about the dragons of old, why they fell, and exactly what their lives where like. Now, we know that damn near every dragon has a specified date of death or at least some description like "died after event x occurred". I was thinking about how comparatively, the dragons Dany has (of Essos) are probably a good deal more robust or healthy than any that might have been hatched from old Targ eggs. This is because these dragons had declined in health and stamina as a result of being bred and raised in the dragon pit. The dragons of Essos, to our knowledge, never received such treatment. But where were dragons like Balerion, Vhagar or Sunfyre kept at King's Landing? Where would Aegon have kept BalerionThese huge dragons needed some place to reside. I doubt any king or prince would want to be very far away from their dragon.

The difference between Dany's dragons and the Targaryen dragons of old parallel the difference between the Stark direwolves and domestic canines.  So yeah, I am in agreement that Dany's dragons are more robust and healthy than the captive dragons.  Humans domesticated dogs but dogs live shorter than wolves.  Same idea.

Dragons of ancient times that predate the Valyrians may have lived for thousands of years and may have grown much larger.  The Valyrians bred for trainability an manageability.  Dany, on the other hand, has a special bond with hers.  They are her children and they protect her without need of any training.  I will say that I would love to see Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion grow fast and get larger than Aegon's dragons.  I would love for them to live lifespans of thousands of years and for Dany to live as long as the ancient ruling emperors of the Great Empire of the Dawn, which were said to have lived for a thousand years and reigned for hundreds.

It is interesting to note that Dany's eggs came from Asshai.  Presumably the place of origin for all dragons.  Drogo's funeral fire was a rebirth of the dragons and of the Targaryens themselves.  The fire cleansed the fear and the doubts from Dany and also woke dragons from stone.   We know that Dany has never been sick.  She has prophetic dreams.  Could be her dragons are also especially powerful relative to the ones her family had long ago.

There is a theory from a Y-T group called Order of the Greenhand that claims Dany is the descendant of the family that ruled the great empire of the dawn.  I am somewhat, but not completely, doubtful because the Targaryens were not the most powerful of the ruling families of Valyria.  They were middle of the pack among the forty families.  I would assume that they would have been at the top if their lineage came directly from the first ruling family of the old empire.  But Dany's visions are compelling and she is very special.   Assume that she is of that family and she is the long-awaited Princess That Was Promised. Her role then is to start a new empire to bring the dawn.  

Why was the empire called The Great Empire of the Dawn?  Perhaps they rebuilt the world after the long night.  Dawn is not a reference to the beginning of time but rather the beginning of light coming back after the long night.  A return of the morning that follows the night.  Why a female?  Because a mother is needed to rebuild the family.  Daenerys is the Maiden Made of Light.  The identity of the Great Lion of the Night is yet to be revealed.  They will have children, just like Adam and Eve of the bible.  One of the children will betray the other sibling and cause another long night.  There is a cycle but too long for humans to notice. 

21 minutes ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

It is interesting to note that Dany's eggs came from Asshai.  Presumably the place of origin for all dragons.  Drogo's funeral fire was a rebirth of the dragons and of the Targaryens themselves.  The fire cleansed the fear and the doubts from Dany and also woke dragons from stone.   We know that Dany has never been sick.  She has prophetic dreams.  Could be her dragons are also especially powerful relative to the ones her family had long ago.

There is a theory from a Y-T group called Order of the Greenhand that claims Dany is the descendant of the family that ruled the great empire of the dawn.  I am somewhat, but not completely, doubtful because the Targaryens were not the most powerful of the ruling families of Valyria.  They were middle of the pack among the forty families.  I would assume that they would have been at the top if their lineage came directly from the first ruling family of the old empire.  But Dany's visions are compelling and she is very special.   Assume that she is of that family and she is the long-awaited Princess That Was Promised. Her role then is to start a new empire to bring the dawn.  

Why was the empire called The Great Empire of the Dawn?  Perhaps they rebuilt the world after the long night.  Dawn is not a reference to the beginning of time but rather the beginning of light coming back after the long night.  A return of the morning that follows the night.  Why a female?  Because a mother is needed to rebuild the family.  Daenerys is the Maiden Made of Light.  The identity of the Great Lion of the Night is yet to be revealed.  They will have children, just like Adam and Eve of the bible.  One of the children will betray the other sibling and cause another long night.  There is a cycle but too long for humans to notice. 

Dany has never been sick except for the dysentery she currently has? And the food poisoning she gave herself?

On 7/31/2017 at 11:58 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

Dany has never been sick except for the dysentery she currently has? And the food poisoning she gave herself?

That was probably not dysentery.  It was the poison from the berries.  Getting poisoned is not an illness.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:46 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The difference between Dany's dragons and the Targaryen dragons of old parallel the difference between the Stark direwolves and domestic canines.  So yeah, I am in agreement that Dany's dragons are more robust and healthy than the captive dragons.  Humans domesticated dogs but dogs live shorter than wolves.  Same idea.

Dragons of ancient times that predate the Valyrians may have lived for thousands of years and may have grown much larger.  The Valyrians bred for trainability an manageability.  Dany, on the other hand, has a special bond with hers.  They are her children and they protect her without need of any training.  I will say that I would love to see Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion grow fast and get larger than Aegon's dragons.  I would love for them to live lifespans of thousands of years and for Dany to live as long as the ancient ruling emperors of the Great Empire of the Dawn, which were said to have lived for a thousand years and reigned for hundreds.

:) All this would be nice.  I'm a Dany fan too.

15 hours ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

That was probably not dysentery.  It was the poison from the berries.  Getting poisoned is not an illness.

Food poisoning is most assuredly an illness. It could have been caused by poison. We have no idea if those berries are poisoned, or merely just indigestible unripe, full of bacteria, or possibly a viral component. More importantly she drank the water before she ate the berries and her stomach starts cramping before. So it's pretty certain she got something akin to giardia or dysentery. She even mentions not sleeping down by the water instead of the ruins because wolves and lions drink from it at night. I'm sure eating unripe berries only hurt.

“Once she was certain which way was south, she counted off her paces. The stream appeared at eight. Dany cupped her hands to drink. The water made her belly cramp, but cramps were easier to bear than thirst. She had no other drink but the morning dew that glistened on the tall grass, and no food at all unless she cared to eat the grass.”

[...]

“Just past midday she came upon a bush growing by the stream, its twisted limbs covered with hard green berries. Dany squinted at them suspiciously, then plucked one from a branch and nibbled at it. Its flesh was tart and chewy, with a bitter aftertaste that seemed familiar to her. “In the khalasar, they used berries like these to flavor roasts,” she decided. Saying it aloud made her more certain of it. Her belly rumbled, and Dany found herself picking berries with both hands and tossing them into her mouth.

An hour later, her stomach began to cramp so badly that she could not go on. She spent the rest of that day retching up green slime”

Archived