Where is Ghost?

Flywalka

Just wanted to put the question of Ghost's location out to everyone. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ghost was shown travelling to Winterfell with Jon's army, nor the battle of the bastards. I haven't spotted him yet this season. Any ideas? 

According to an article (I'll try to track it down and link it later) he was supposed to appear in episode 2.  They were going to have him with Jon and Davis as they went south. He was cut due to budget and because they already had one wolf in the episode. 

Ghost is on standby. Its very expensive to put them direwolves in the scenes. So he will only show his fur if necessary.

Better explanation:

Why are the direwolf TV appearances so few and far in between? And why are they so disappointing? We all know the answer - it costs a lot of money to make giant wolves look real. And while Game of Thrones has done an incredible job creating nonexistent creatures - Drogon, by himself, looked great this season - Daenerys riding around on a dragon was proof that they're not nearly as good at digital compositing, and that's basically all the direwolves are. They're regular wolves (or wolfdogs) digitally composited into scenes and made to look like giant ones.

from https://www.forbes.com/sites/benjaminmoore/2015/06/17/game-thrones-season-5-direwolves/#597ed8f142cd

Considering that they already killed off Lady, Grey Wind (according to the book), Summer and Shaggydog (according to budget, probably) and we probably won't see Nymeria again, I think that they should have killed Ghost last season when they were resurrecting Jon. Ghost is already practically non-existing and I doubt that he will be important for the outcome of the story. They had a perfect chance to get rid of him when Mel was performing the ritual - Jon would be resurrected at the cost of Ghost's life. Basically Ghost's soul would be more or less used to revive Jon. I was so sure that Ghost's gonna die when there were those long shots of him sleeping next to Jon. I was watching closely not to miss the moment he stops breathing. And nothing happened. If Jon was revived at the cost of Ghost's live, it would A) spare the budget, B ) avoid the practically permanent absence of Ghost even when he should be there, C) not make the resurrection so ridiculously easy - yeah, Jon would be resurrected, but you have to pay a price, you can't fool the Death just like this - a soul for a soul.

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

I think that they should have killed Ghost last season when they were resurrecting Jon.....was so sure that Ghost's gonna die when there were those long shots of him sleeping next to Jon. I was watching closely not to miss the moment he stops breathing. And nothing happened. If Jon was revived at the cost of Ghost's live, it would A) spare the budget, B ) avoid the practically permanent absence of Ghost even when he should be there, C) not make the resurrection so ridiculously easy - yeah, Jon would be resurrected, but you have to pay a price, you can't fool the Death just like this - a soul for a soul.

Ghost is one of those characters where it is hard to separate the book reader from the watcher, even when it is just you.  Ghost and Jon are one.  Readers are certain of this.  Viewers like Ghost well-enough, cool even, but it has never been made clear why except that Jon has a unusual 'dog' that others are afraid of.  Nerevanin is right - the perfect time to kill Ghost was at Jon's resurrection. According to spoilers, Jon spends much time at Dragonstone this season so either Ghost will remain invisible (no pun intended :-) or Ghost will have some role in some Winterfell drama.  At the risk of whining, we have had soooo many dragon shots and so few of Ghost :-(

3 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Ghost is one of those characters where it is hard to separate the book reader from the watcher, even when it is just you.  Ghost and Jon are one.  Readers are certain of this.  Viewers like Ghost well-enough, cool even, but it has never been made clear why except that Jon has a unusual 'dog' that others are afraid of.  Nerevanin is right - the perfect time to kill Ghost was at Jon's resurrection. According to spoilers, Jon spends much time at Dragonstone this season so either Ghost will remain invisible (no pun intended :-) or Ghost will have some role in some Winterfell drama.  At the risk of whining, we have had soooo many dragon shots and so few of Ghost :-(

So you think Ghost is at Winterfell? Personally I'm leaning towards him being at Castle Black still. We didn't see him travel with Jon towards Winterfell, so I'm wondering if it's possible that Ghost and Bran have a reunion at Castle Black? 

2 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

the show ghost is the same as the tv ghost. frequent cameos. We are only reminded of ghost in the books when john is sleep/warging. Outside of that, ghost is usually doing his own thing. 

I dare to say that Ghost in the books will have some significant role such

Spoiler

Jon, after being stabbed probably to death by NW, will warg into Ghost and thus his soul would survive so Jon can be later resurrected. It's a just a speculation but I expect Ghost to have something to do with Jon's resurrection in the books which is 99% going to happen.

While in the show he did and does absolutely nothing and he doesn't even appear anymore.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I can't believe people are wishing that Ghost be killed.  WTF?

And I can't believe that people want LF to be killed, unless they feel sorry for him because of D&D cluelessness about what to do with him ofc, while they root for characters such as Dany...

But you're right. I can't wait for Ghost to appear in the very last episode and for Jon to be like "Hey, Ghost, we haven't seen each other for, idk, 4 seasons but I'm glad you survived. I hope you don't get lost again." (*sarcasm*)

We'll probably get one final scene with the direwolves towards the way end of the show, but yes, as was said above, it's simply a budgetary and production issue.  Ghost will continue to be a ghost for these reasons.  

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I can't believe people are wishing that Ghost be killed.  WTF?

Ghost will probably be killed anyway and it will be sad. It might symbolic as last piece of Jon connecting him to his bastard life and status.

4 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

the show ghost is the same as the tv ghost. frequent cameos. We are only reminded of ghost in the books when john is sleep/warging. Outside of that, ghost is usually doing his own thing. 

no. Ghost hangs around with jon alot in the books. Sometimes ghost leaves to go hunting but half the time he is near jon. In the book ghost effects jon in a major way and influences several decisions

4 hours ago, Flywalka said:

So you think Ghost is at Winterfell? Personally I'm leaning towards him being at Castle Black still. We didn't see him travel with Jon towards Winterfell, so I'm wondering if it's possible that Ghost and Bran have a reunion at Castle Black? 

Well, I have a hard time imagining that Jon would go home with his sister but without Ghost.  The tv show has shown us a few times that some of the Castle Black brothers were afraid of Ghost but he would fit right in at Winterfell.  But you are right, this is my assumption and I have no proof.  If Ghost is not at Winterfell already, perhaps he will travel with Bran back to Winterfell.  Maybe the show just thinks we have forgotten about Ghost.  They would be wrong. 

5 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I would expect Ghost, like Nymeria and her pack to play a role in the final season when there is rumors of a massive blow out on action and money spent on cgi.

I fully expect Nymeria to swoop into the final battle with her massive pack doing their best impression of the eagles from The Hobbit. 

Why would she do that?

Ghost calls her. :)

8 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

I fully expect Nymeria to swoop into the final battle with her massive pack doing their best impression of the eagles from The Hobbit. 

Why would she do that?

Ghost calls her. :)

I hope they at least do something more with the Direwolves. I am still pissed how they made Summer suicidal for some stupid reason.

3 hours ago, TyrionFan82 said:

This topic was mentioned in a video of Ideas of Ice and Fire on YouTube and they said the EXACT same thing....at least they could've shown a white blur in Battle of the Bastards lol. Hopefully we see him soon.

I understand not showing him there but when jon was just sitting in the haul talking to people I don't see why they couldn't show him just laying on the floor

Archived