What real world location inspired the Summer Isles?

Fishb20

Personally, I vote for the Virgin Isles.

Yeah, the ethnicities don't really match that well (maybe Jamaica is the exception?), but the summer isles look pretty similar to the virgin isles imo

the strange thing about the summer isles, to me, is that theres no explicit comparison. The rest of the large landmasses and continents are really clear for most other places:

westeros= england/europe (with a bit of america thrown in)

essos= eurasia

sothyros= africa

ulthos= australia (?)

but the summer islands dont seem to fit into the real world very well

Maybe polynesia. However unlike most island nations the summer islanders have very high tech things in some area's. Their swan boats are prized as is their special bows that are second only to dragonbone bows. Basically the summerislands are just a bunch of islands and a mix of regions. However the closest I can think of is polynesia

55 minutes ago, Fishb20 said:

Yeah, the ethnicities don't really match that well (maybe Jamaica is the exception?), but the summer isles look pretty similar to the virgin isles imo

the strange thing about the summer isles, to me, is that theres no explicit comparison. The rest of the large landmasses and continents are really clear for most other places:

essos= eurasia

sothyros= africa

ulthos= australia (?)

Look at all the islands surrounding africa. Madagascar, seychelles etc 

On 7/28/2017 at 6:57 PM, snow is the man said:

Maybe polynesia. However unlike most island nations the summer islanders have very high tech things in some area's. Their swan boats are prized as is their special bows that are second only to dragonbone bows. Basically the summerislands are just a bunch of islands and a mix of regions. However the closest I can think of is polynesia

Closest I could guess. They were highly advanced in their seamenship. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.7.2017 at 1:52 AM, Fishb20 said:

The american stuff you notice is probably european in origin. 

On 29.7.2017 at 1:52 AM, Fishb20 said:

essos= eurasia

sothyros= africa

ulthos= australia (?)

I would say that the summer islands have inspiration form Polynesia, Carribean and India.

Archived