Rogues

TyrionFan82

It's not the same quality of writing as the ASOIAF novels, in my opinion, or of the Dunk & Egg stories. If I understand correctly, he had way too much material for the World book (The World of Ice & Fire). The material that had to be cut from that psuedo-history, written and paraphrased by a couple of fictional maesters, was reshaped and issued in the "Dangerous Women," "Rogues," and (soon) "Swords" anthologies. If you're a fan of Westeros history, or you're just looking for something to read before The Winds of Winter is published, then it's worth reading the Rogues story. But you might find it a bit dry, compared to his usual writing.

Strangely, I just picked up my copy of Rogues a few days ago, and re-read the ASoIaF "story."  It isn't much more than a detailed account of events, largely within the Targaryens, leading up to the Dance of Dragons.  However it does not cover any of the events of the Dance itself.  Good for a little more historical background, but that's about it.  And as Seams noted, rather dry.

Archived