Jorah's plan pre-Tyrion?

Foot_Of_The_King

Well, Jorah did have his pardon from King Robert, for whatever that's worth now in Westeros. (Around King's Landing, "words are wind" is the popular saying, and under Cersei's rule/regency, written documents that have been signed and witnessed are just kindling.)

But Jorah sure didn't seem to be heading back towards Westeros to take advantage of the pardon, nonetheless. There might have been plenty of work for a man like him as a sellsword, given the continuing wars. I agree - he was probably planless, until he saw Tyrion Lanni$ter.

8 hours ago, zandru said:

Well, Jorah did have his pardon from King Robert, for whatever that's worth now in Westeros. (Around King's Landing, "words are wind" is the popular saying, and under Cersei's rule/regency, written documents that have been signed and witnessed are just kindling.)

But Jorah sure didn't seem to be heading back towards Westeros to take advantage of the pardon, nonetheless. There might have been plenty of work for a man like him as a sellsword, given the continuing wars. I agree - he was probably planless, until he saw Tyrion Lanni$ter.

Desperation may have had to him gamble for the pardon. But I think he's too shrewd to test the Lannister regime. 

I don't think he had much of a plan - except drinking himself into an early grave, while fucking whores who physically resemble the girl he has a crush on (pathetic and creepy, but then that's not an unfair description of Ser Jorah the Slaver).

12 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

But I think he's too shrewd to test the Lannister regime. 

That makes sense to me. Plus, it seems there may be a lot of Westerosi who don't much love him.

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

except drinking himself into an early grave, while fucking whores who physically resemble the girl he has a crush on

Indeed. Tyrion seemed to have much the same plan, except he didn't seem to care much about the physical resemblance of his 'hos. This is what men did before psychoactive drugs were available. Progress!

It seems that Jorah was waiting in Volantis for the exact same reason Connington and Young Griff were. Volantis has a huge port that Daenerys would have to pass by at some point on her way from Meereen to Westeros:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/1/10/WorldofIceandFire.png

Magister Illyrio Mopatis sent Tyrion with Aegon's group to meet up with the Queen of Dragons in Volantis, believing she must surely be on her way there by now, or at least soon. 

It's the best place for Jorah to hear news about what she's up to. A big port city that her fleet would have to sail by and almost certainly stop at to resupply after traveling far south of Doomed Valyria. Even if her armies traveled on land, the main roads go through Volantis. Remember the Widow of the Waterfront, she asked Jorah to tell Daenerys that they were waiting, the slaves of Volantis. 

He was there waiting for her for almost a year.

He probably dreamed about ways he could prove his loyalty to her. My guess is that he would sail with her fleet in disguise as a soldier, attack Westeros with her troops, in the hopes to perform some type of heroic romantic deed that would fix his wrongs in his beloved queen's eyes. 

After all he's so consumed by the thought of her, he's got a lookalike dancing almost nude on his lap when Tyrion found him. 

It's not such a big coincidence that these two would be in the same city at some point during their travels. Just blind chance that they would find the same whorehouse. Jorah immediately thinks "this is my heroic opportunity", to find a Lannister. Their family murdered her father, had her brother's wife and children brutally murdered. 

Jorah doesn't care about the pardon, and seems to properly hate Mopatis and the Spider both. He is infatuated by Danny. Same happened with his first wife. He gave everything up, his lordship, his home, his family, just to keep her. He's a romantic fool. And here comes Danny, perfect, beautiful, with real dragons, and already a queen. He'll do anything to be by her side again.   

Archived