Iron Bank of Braavos (IBB)

On 8/4/2017 at 8:29 PM, Visenya the Dragon said:

If the gold does not make it back to KL. I don't see Cersei letting the envoy from IB go free. In fear of what would happen next. Like going to Dany or sending faceless me after her.

But surely what would happen next after imprisoning or killing an IB banker is even worse?

Maybe you can delay them for a few days, but as soon as that fails, you've pretty much forced them to treat you as enemy #1 and, say, go hire every mercenary company in Essos to fight for Dany.

On 8/4/2017 at 8:29 PM, Visenya the Dragon said:

Dany may not agree to pay the debt of her uspers who were on the IT anyway. 

I am curious what their contingency plan for that possibility is. I'd certainly be worried about that possibility if I were in their shoes. And, even if I weren't that worried, I'd want to leak somehow to Tyrion or Varys that I'd considered the possibility and come up with a contingency plan for it, before sitting down to negotiate with Dany and her team. They can threaten Cersei with implied military action, but if Dany's just conquered a Queen who was already funded by the IB, the same threat won't work as well. What kind of economic sanctions can they bring to bear on Westeros, I wonder?

On 8/6/2017 at 5:18 AM, falcotron said:

But surely what would happen next after imprisoning or killing an IB banker is even worse?

Maybe you can delay them for a few days, but as soon as that fails, you've pretty much forced them to treat you as enemy #1 and, say, go hire every mercenary company in Essos to fight for Dany.

I am curious what their contingency plan for that possibility is. I'd certainly be worried about that possibility if I were in their shoes. And, even if I weren't that worried, I'd want to leak somehow to Tyrion or Varys that I'd considered the possibility and come up with a contingency plan for it, before sitting down to negotiate with Dany and her team. They can threaten Cersei with implied military action, but if Dany's just conquered a Queen who was already funded by the IB, the same threat won't work as well. What kind of economic sanctions can they bring to bear on Westeros, I wonder?

Now that Cersei lost her gold and army. The IB will  let  Cersei think that will back her still. And have gold sent to her to help her cause. But,  this Will just be words to tell Cersei what she wants to hear so he can leave for Bravos with out being harmed or held captured. Cersei thinks she is untouchable due to ser Robert and her hand. She may not fall for IB envoy leaving and willing to deal with the consequences later. She is known for that.

He told Cersei he can hire the golden company. 

Edt..   Ok I just reading something. I take  back that  Cersei lost her gold. I wanted her gold to be taken. One up for Cersei now. She will have IB on her side. Here is the link for cersei has the gold at kings landing already. http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/08/what-happened-to-gold-highgarden-did-daenerys-dany-lose-get-cersei-game-of-thrones-s07e04/

On 2.8.2017 at 11:51 PM, Samwell_Tarly said:

How is making deals with all sides smart banking, you might aswell not pick a side at all. 

I give 2 million to Cersei, I give 2 million to Daenerys, Cersei loses, but Daenerys wins and pays her share back.... you get where this is going.

Its about picking a side but having a back up plan incase.

Smart banking is more than the single deal!

To pick yor example - yes the loss from the looser is eating up the gain from the winner. So in the end the bank is as rich as before...
But - will be the trusted bank of the winner!

Future deals are the thing!  ;-)

Am I the only one who thinks Tyko Nestoris is actually Jaqen H'ghar?  This would explain the misconception that the IBB supports slavery.  If H'ghar makes off with the gold then not only is Cercei still in deep with the IBB but has left Cersei broke and done a solid for the antislavery Dany.

Archived