There were a lot of parts of this episode that I liked--Jaime and Olenna's conversation, Sansa finally getting to do something productive, Euron striding into King's Landing--but one part I didn't care for was actually Jon and Dany's meeting in the throne room. I'm sure plenty of people loved it, but I wasn't impressed with either Kit or Emilia's performance. "Deadpan Stormborn" has become a bit of an ongoing joke at this point, but I also noticed that Emilia doesn't really utilize body language when delivering dialogue, at least not in this instance. Dany gets up from her throne and strides forward, but her body doesn't move at all; instead she stays in her Dolores-from-Westworld pose while she talks about every hardship she's faced. She sits, stands, and walks with her arms folded over her stomach, and it doesn't look regal so much as robotic. Her tone and emotions fluctuate, but her movements don't mirror that. And Kit was the opposite: he kept swaying and looking around in circles. Maybe he was trying to convey Jon's discomfort, but instead it just made him look like he had too much to drink the night before.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

Cersei's short-haired messenger girl has Future Arya Face written all over her.

Love how I forgot about her previous appearance until I saw her again this episode.  Love how I immediately forgot about her after she showed up again.

They are using her the absolute right amount, right down to the frame.

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

..Maybe don't creepily recount her rape to her, Bran?

Preach.

7 hours ago, plectrum said:

So...Sansa just left a crippled kid in the freezing cold?  This seems...unwise.

He asked for it. Also, see above quote for all the justification Sansa needed to give him a quick cold shoulder.

2 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I suppose Ghost was left in the North to avoid difficulties. Maybe or maybe not.

I don't recall even seeing Ghost since... hmm? ... since Jon was resurrected? Did he come to Winterfell at all? Is he still alive? Or maybe I wasn't paying that much attention.

7 hours ago, plectrum said:

So, based on the preview, I'm guessing that Jon talks Dany into going north to wipe out the white walkers so that he'll throw his support behind her in the war against Cersei.  Now that she has no allies left, he has the leverage to make demands.  

Looks to me like theirs going to be a good old fashion robbery. The iron bank will not be getting their coin :)

I liked this episode, i love how all those characters finally get together. I will miss olenna that shot of her looking down from highgarden made me really sad, at least she went out with a bang, dianna rigg did a fine job with that last conversation, kudos to her. I hate show jaime. Luckily there is some chemistry between kit and Emilia. 

Edited by MarieAntoinette

5 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

Do you think Samwell will 'discover' something in those scrolls he has to rewrite? That the citadel Maester isn't the fool that we think he is and is nudging Sam in the right direction without action saying as much? (for one reason or another)

Most definitely. I think those are the books he asked, and was denied, the access to. It is his reward.

Anyone else use the Audio Description feature on Sky Atlantic in the UK? I've had to since the lighting on the show went quite dark a few seasons back.

Apart from them calling Ser Davos Seaforth rather than Seaworth, this week it had quite a big gaff. It described the Lannister army with Jaime on horseback with Kevan Lannister. I was quite confused as I thought he had died in Cersei's purge last season. But from reading other comments I think it must have been Randyll Tarly with Jaime. This makes much more sense.

Good episode either way. Plenty of plot progression. Some good interactions - Jon & Tyrion and Jaime & Oleana in particular.

Minor gripe with the Iron Bank of Braavos being in the Slave Trade when the city of Braavos was founded by escaped slaves and it's the one city in Essos which never had slavery. A minor plot point which doesn't ruin the show for me.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

And Kit was the opposite: he kept swaying and looking around in circles. Maybe he was trying to convey Jon's discomfort, but instead it just made him look like he had too much to drink the night before.

well he did just get off of a boat... ;)

A really enjoyable episode all around.

Jon meets Dany:

• I really liked how Jon stood his ground.
  • I felt a little robbed of Melisandre/Davos confrontation, but this made sense.  Glad she regrets her actions towards Shireen.
  • Tyrion as mediator was awesome! He really helped them start bridging the gap by negotiating the dragonglass mining.
  • Humor!  Davos and Jon falling to the ground, Dany’s many titles vs. Jon’s one title, Dany calling out Tyrion for passing his words as ancient wisdom.  Well placed humor and actually funny.
  • Good chemistry between Dany and Jon in my opinion.  And best acting by Emilia in a while.

Sansa:

• I was a little put off by how good Sansa was at preparing for winter/war– considering she had no training.  Jon , Rob, and Theon received training, but Sansa was still on the young side when she left Winterfell.  I can live with it.
  • Stark reunion FINALLY!  Great acting by Sophie.  She transitioned from tough, in-charge Lady Stark to emotional big sister very well

Lannisters:

• Frankly, I was glad to see justice for Myrcella and I thought that Cersei was far more merciful than she might have been.  Really glad that she didn’t give the Dornish women to either Qyburn or Ser Gregor.
  • I am looking forward to the confrontation between Jaime and Euron that has to come at some point.  Euron seems to really enjoy toying with Jaime. 
  • Cersei/Jaime sex scene.  I didn’t really mind it, but I thought it would have made more sense for Cersei to get on top.  I think that letting people know she’s having sex with her brother is going to come back to bite her big time.
  • I’m glad they remembered the Iron Bank after all this time. 
  • For some reason, I kept expecting Jaime to die—perhaps because Cersei was openly having sex with him.  First, I thought that Cersei might accidentally poison him with poison left on her lips—which is absurd.  Then, I thought that Olenna might have poisoned the wine in her room—in anticipation of a need to commit suicide or of Jaime joining her for a final drink.
  • I’m glad that Olenna remembered that she killed Joffrey.  It’s been annoying me that she conveniently forgot that she started the war with Cersei by killing her son. 
  • Now that Jaime knows that Tyrion did not kill Joffrey, will that change how he and Cersei interact with him when they eventually meet? It will certainly affect how Jaime feels about him.

Casterly Rock:

• Enjoyed the callback to Tyrion’s knowledge of the sewers.
  • Really enjoyed the fake-out.  Glad to see Jaime as a smart military strategist.  And I always enjoy seeing him on a horse.

Overall, I liked the back and forth verbal sparring that happened in many of the scenes. Also, good reminders of things we haven’t seen/heard in a while.

2 hours ago, athmystikal said:

I am not sure about the show universe, but in the books it has been clearly stated that Bravos was founded by escaped slaves. They are completely against slavery. But in today's episode, it is implied that the IB engages in slave trade.

And? Banks don't give a fuck about the beliefs of the city they operate out of, they give a fuck about return on investment only.

1 hour ago, MarieAntoinette said:

I hate show jaime.

Why? They are dragging him out, for sure. He's going to have to snap and strangle Cersie eventually - but I find him one of the most likable people on the show at this point.

Agree with others that predict the Grand Maester has given Sam forbidden/secret scrolls to translate. We might finally learn the true story of what the hell is going on with the seasons and White Walkers in this universe.

@nara, Olenna didn't start the war as no one knew she killed Joffrey. Cersei's hatred towards Tyrells started even when Joffrey was alive and escalated when she was threatened by Margaery. Cersei believes that she can do everything by herself and that she is smart and powerful enough to win them all, and yet as Olenna pointed out, even Tywin understood the need to work with rivals. As Tyrion also pointed out, every time they deal with an enemy, they get two more. And Cersei will have a tough time with her real enemies - Daenerys and Starks. They won't bite the dust as easy as Sand snakes or Tyrells.

As for Sansa, she has been trained to become a Lady, so I suppose she got some education on preparing the castle for the winter. I am not sure whether the blacksmith was from Vale or the North, it did look like a bit strange that he wouldn't know that, but it also served the point of showing that she indeed is a capable of handling things in WF. I also would have loved to see Glover or perhaps Alys Karstark next to her, someone Northern, but I think they are using Lord Royce in order to establish Vale players for the possible confrontation between Sansa and LF.

And now, the terrible... Jaime. I am sorry, as much as I like NCW's acting and as much as his performance was delightful in Season 3 (before KL and rape scene), this Jaime goes against everything I believe in (ASOIAF, that is :D ) He and Sansa represent two characters that have evolved the most, going through the changes and self-discovery. This is just a shell. We are in Season 7 and I feel as if the groundwork done in Season 3 is completely wasted.

Lastly, Jon and Daenerys. I feel as these two are not just different people, but characters from two different shows...  Instead of it being the collision of the two worlds, it looked like some strange mashup. I am not seeing that chemistry people talk about and this looked more like Hermione meeting Aragorn. Something was way off, and I see that Ms Clarke's acting has gone back to her previous mishaps from Seasons 1 and 2. Pity...

Overall, as one once said (I am not pulling Tyrion here) devil is in the detail. Unfortunately, no one is paying any attention to the details. 

I believed they use just the right mixture of CGI and allowing their Superstars to carry most of the load in this episode.

Sansa really needs to get a raven to Jon to tell him that he and she are no longer the Wardens of the North. and Bran may want to add a few words of his own...

Sam should be able to cure others of the same malady now.

Cersei needs to be reigned in, and probably not by Jaime.

And Tyrion is still the best Second in Command, even when he doesn't understand or even believe in the cause he needs to champion.

The Unsullied Won Something!!  Even if it was a hollow victory.

Edited by Lee Chapman

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

I was expecting way worse from Cersei. Is the poison the one Oberyn used on the Mountain?

Now it's the one that they used on marcella. To be fair it is a very brutal thing to do and that scene was great partially because they didn't waste time doing a torture scene. But she essentially has to watch her daughter die and then stay there with her body as it rots.

2 minutes ago, Lee Chapman said:

I believed they use just the right mixture of CGI and allowing their Superstars to carry most of the load in this episode.

Sansa really needs to get a raven to Jon to tell him that he and she are no longer the Wardens of the North. and Bran may want to add a few words of his own...

Sam should be able to cure others of the same malady now.

Cersei needs to be reigned in, and probably not by Jaime.

And Tyrion is still the best Second in Command, even when he doesn't understand or even believe in the cause he needs to champion.

The Unsullied Won Something!!

Bran essentially said he wasn't gonna be lord of winterfell or anything. And jon is king of the north not warden of the north.

Also I think part of the reason that they don't do the procedure that sam did is because they are afraid of it spreading, Still it was really cool to see how sam has progressed. I am really loving his eye thing we see this season like when jorah asks him if he has ever done this before.

Also tyrion has essentially lost every one of dany's westerosi allies and put the unsullied in a very bad place.

Cersei has been insane for a while now. I loved how olenna said that to jaime and then said he isn't in control anymore and we saw how he knows it