[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

It’s hard to find dialogue quite as stilted as:

“The Bastard of Winterfell.”

“The Dwarf of Casterly Rock.”

No real warmth or humour. Meh.

Did Missandei just say “Welcome to Dragon’s Den?” Oh, Stone, “Dragonstone.” Well, it made me blink twice.

“Give us your weapons.”

K.

What?

No guest right anymore?  Offering them bread and salt so the weapons can be hung in the hall?  Nope, this isn’t Westeros anymore.  I keep forgetting.

Dothraki march off with their boats.  I’m laughing now.

More horrible dialogue.

Stealth dragon-swoop.

“I’ve brought ice and fire together.” Um … I believe Rhaegar and Lyanna did that. *sigh*

I can’t even with “This is Jon Snow.  He’s King in the North.” Ba-dum-tsh.

“Did you see ma dragonz”  The whole dialogue is so low-level and adolescent.

Euron Greyjoy – as if to make my point for me. :tantrum:

Cersei talks of torture - a lot – nice to know they considered this worth so much time.

Braavos - built by escaped slaves, I thought.  So what's that all that talk of dropped profits from slavery about?

“You look a lot better brooding than I do.” Oh ffs, what kind of dialogue is this?

Sansa and her mad planning skillz.  I’d believe this of Book!Sansa because we saw her learning and acquiring some level of strategic planning from LF.  We've seen no such thing on the show.

Breast plates on leather … did Septa Mordane teach her that? Doubtful. Pfft.

“Fight every battle everywhere always in your mind …” :rofl:  That is so pretentious.

Bran-bot. Why is he Bran-bot?

I really hate Bran calling himself the three-eyed raven.  It’s not a title, like Lord of Winterfell. It’s was Brynden’s name because he had one eye and used the two eyes of the crow. *thrashes wildly*

“I thought you were the 3ER”

“It’s difficult to explain.”  That’s because it’s rubbish.

Jorah is cured. Overnight apparently. Kewl.

Oo, look, super-old scrolls and parchments that need copying … what sooper-sekrit things will they reveal?  And will I care?

I wonder how much the Bron actor is paid to ride next to the Tarlys and do nothing else?  So weird.

Shout out to Widow’s Wail.  So that’s a future plot point. D&D – never knowingly subtle.

Yay, Olenna.  Shame you didn't mention LF's complicity.

The timescales are all over the place.  They give no sense of the passage of time at all - I think it's worse than it's ever been.

4 minutes ago, Nami said:

Well I can't blame show-only watchers for not getting R+L=J considering that the show barely mentioned Rhaegar. I'm not surprised that some show-only watchers thought that Ned and Lyanna practicised incest after the Season 6 finale. Though I thought by now everyone should have gotten the news. 

I guess Dany's face when she learns about it will be the same as in every other scene, unless Emilia Clarke improves her acting skills. 

6 minutes ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

Well I can't blame show-only watchers for not getting R+L=J considering that the show barely mentioned Rhaegar. I'm not surprised that some show-only watchers thought that Ned and Lyanna practicised incest after the Season 6 finale. Though I thought by now everyone should have gotten the news. 

yep, and they're trying to mention Rhaegar in a hurry now lol. he has been mentioned in every episode of this season (don't remember if he was in episode 1 tho)

Poor Sansa, a long lost brother with magical powers returning to Winterfell just to... trigger her telling how pretty she was for her rape.

Three eyed whatever may have wanted to prove his power, but couldn't he find something else ?

--

Not sure it happened in the show (?), but hasn't the old bear told Sam his last wish was for Jorah to join the Nightswatch ? Seems Sam just missed the opportunity to mention it to Jorah (or anything else Mormont told about his son).

--

Bankrupt Lannister army which suffered heavy losses in six seasons of fighting,  still going strong and destroying the Tyrells who were supposed to have 3 times their forces by season 4, in such a mundane battle it wasn't even showed !?

Honeypoting I may imagine that Tarly deflected with more than half Tyrell forces, but in this case why only show soldiers in Lannister gear in the army ?

19 minutes ago, Bastard of the Dreadfort said:

My thoughts exactly!!! I expected him to get his first chain link or something at least.

Thats what I was expecting. I really thought he would get his silver link.

And I expect Sam is about to find some secret in those old scrolls. 

His story line feels entirely choreographed. He jumps from one plot point to the next.
Gets A Valyrian sword ---> Discovers Dragonglass --> Cures Greyscale ---> Finds proof for R+L=J / How to defeat WW

Its almost like Jame Bond films where Q manages to give 007 the exact gadgets he would need to get out of a tricky situation later on.

Starting this off I need to say that I enjoyed the episode and liked it for what it was. I get it, the books are something entirely else, which is why all the intrigue and politics have gone out the window and the lack of direction from GRRM means that the plot is much simpler. For what GoT has turned into, it's still entertaining and I enjoy the characters and their interactions.

However, so many things bother me that I simply can't look past. And ths is forgetting the falseful statements regarding the lore behind Brandon Stark's death and the Iron Bank's stance against slavery, the huge gaps in time and continuity (which I understand but do not feel natural), incredibly boring black costumes and clunky dialogue.

No, what bothers me is the incredible suspense of disbelief and the writing and direction style employed by D&D. Correct me if I am wrong, the budget of each episode was supposed to be 10 million per episode earlier seasons. This season there are only 7 episodes yet the show can't seem to pack even one realistic battle into its narrative. Last episode we had a ground battle on one ship and some cool fireballs fired by unknown attackers. This episode we get albeit beautiful visuals of a storming on Casterly Rock yet the battle is underwhelming and the fighting is unrealistic, the Unsullied are supposed to be fighting in the open, not storming castles. This is why they couldn't defend Meereen properly against Sons of the Harpy. And the Lannister attack on Highgarden. I have a hard time describing this. Beautiful style of showing this turn of event but somehow I'm supposed to believe the storming of a castle with great walls EVEN if held by a token force (assuming the Tyrell forces are besieging King's Landing) is just that easy. Did they spend their entire budget on visuals? Pack a few dragons and a couple shots of battle in Casterly Rock and a moving Lannister army. Ops, no more money, I guess Bronn's cameo was too expensive. Haven't we moved on from earlier seasons? Game of Thrones is huge now, it's not season 1 anymore.

And that "just stay two weeks in King's Landing, you'll have your gold" comment from Cersei to Iron Bank diplomat. Oh, so it only takes two weeks for Jaime to ride from King's Landing to Casterly Rock to Highgarden and back. Even if ravens had been sent beforehand, it gives him two weeks to attack Highgarden and go back to King's Landing with the gold and resources. This is the only time/distance error I want to comment about since Euron clearly has very effective cloaking and teleport devices.

Dialogue between fan-favourites, Daenerys and Jon, is cringy. If Jon could explain his current position in a satisfactory fashion, provide an actual tale about Hardhome or Fist of the First Men (which he knew the outcome of) and Dany would jump on board in a heartbeat. I guess Jon has to capture a wight now.

This is the show's endgame. It isn't the same moving pieces around chessboards and watching the result kind of story we had in season 1-3. Pump money into this. This is the culmination of six seasons of inner politcal turmoil in the Seven Kingdoms. I'm not an "action-hungry" fan. This is what the show built up. And the lazy writing to justify Cersei's early victories against Dany is incredible. But at least it's beautifully filmed.

2 hours ago, athmystikal said:

Didn't Brandon Stark (Ned Stark's brother) die by strangling himself in an attempt to save his father? I think this what they showed in the Histories and Lore series. But in this Ep, Jon says 'He burned my uncle alive'.

I don't know about the Histories and Lore series, but in the books Brandon strangled himself, yes. However, even if the Histories and Lore stated that Brandon strangled himself it wouldn't be the first time that the show contradicts something that has been stated in the Histories and Lore. 

53 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

No guest right anymore?  Offering them bread and salt so the weapons can be hung in the hall?  Nope, this isn’t Westeros anymore.  I keep forgetting.

Guestright doesn't matter, rules of inheritance don't matter, kinsslaying doesn't matter....the only things that matters are shocks and dragons. 

Again, our group found itself just laughing in disbelief at this episode. The amount of warping around the planet by Euron's ships, Jon's ships, Jamie's troops, there just aren't feasible ways to move those distances.  My hope for the books is that George has a much more elegant plan in place for these events, but at this point, who knows? 

Plus, Tyrion really sucks at planning attacks.

Meh, after mixed feelings from the last two episodes, I actually enjoyed this one. The dialogues, albeit still nowhere near as good as the ones from the first four seasons, were not as plastic and forced as they were from the first two episodes. The scenography, camera work and music worked much better for these episodes, and even Daenerys seemed to act better; I expected little to no chemistry between Jon and Dany but showmakers may actually not completely screw it up.

I very much disliked the design of Casterly Rock, it just seemed... too ordinary. I always imagined it partially ingrained into the rock, something a la Mines of Moria at the base with the castle being shaped out of stone. This way they just plonked a castle on a rock, and here we are. And I hate what they've done to Littlefinger and continue to do as it's pretty obvious that he's a dead man in the last episode this season; such a shame to ruin a character who was the mastermind in the first four seasons to now behave in such a peculiar manner

On 7/31/2017 at 5:54 AM, Lord Freypie said:

Poor Sansa, a long lost brother with magical powers returning to Winterfell just to... trigger her telling how pretty she was for her rape.

Three eyed whatever may have wanted to prove his power, but couldn't he find something else ?

Seriously, WTF? I'm not sure what Bran learned in that cave, but it sure in the hell wasn't tactfulness or sensitivity.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:23 AM, Ser Quork said:

I guess not in Weisofftros.

Braavos - built by escaped slaves, I thought.  So what's that all that talk of dropped profits from slavery about?

Yeah, nice they completely changed the history and culture of Braavos. If they wanted to make the IB look bad or be the bad guys maybe they should have had the IB guy asking Cersei to lower their equity capital requirements or something. Anyway, it seems they could have done something different if the IB are supposed to be the bad guys or ally with Cersei.

Breast plates on leather … did Septa Mordane teach her that? Doubtful. Pfft.

I too was unaware of Sandra going to armor engineering school and winter warfare school. But, maybe they believe in cross training in Weisofftros. Can't wait until Bronze Yohn instructs Sandra on what makes a good lemon cake and courtesy.

“Fight every battle everywhere always in your mind …” :rofl:  That is so pretentious.

Maybe LF was just repeating what he learned by reading Sun Tzu and Clausewitz.

Let's just hope though anyone facing a White Walker, with big ice sword, doesn't try to fight that battle "in their own mind". I mean at least I'd hope they'd  turn and run away.

Bran-bot. Why is he Bran-bot?

Bran-tactless-bot.

The travel times, logistics, and strategy have never made any sense, and that's never bothered me too much until now. But this season, so much of the drama is based on the military stuff, meaning all the drama is now nonsense.

Take Tyrion's plan to ferry the Dornish army to KL for the assault. If you assume the show is trying to make sense, then there's obviously a good reason an army couldn't march that far by land, and it must be plausible that Asha's navy could either evade or defeat Euron's. Which was all reasonable. Except that the big surprises turn out to be that all of those assumptions are wrong. And not wrong because of some important information that Tyrion didn't have yet, but just obviously wrong. Tyrion's plan was just idiotic and pointless.

Even the plans that succeed turn out to be stupid. Like Jaime giving up Casterly Rock only to immediately besiege it. The big revelation is that Jaime, and D&D, just doesn't get the entire point of castles.

Unless this is some kind of clever metafiction (where the whole series is like Quentyn's story writ large, and the whole point is that we were fools to take the show seriously), this isn't even bad, out-of-left-field, "No, John, you are the demons" dramatic revelation, it's just not dramatic revelation at all.

And what really worries me is that I suspect the last two books will similarly be more and more focused on the military drama, and GRRM isn't any better at this stuff than D&D. I hope that he keeps all the strategic stuff off-camera and focuses the drama on other elements, as he's usually done so far, but I suspect that's going to be progressively harder as the end draws in, just as it has been for D&D (especially since he's got two or three times as many wars going on, and almost every character's drama is tied up in at least one of them).

1 hour ago, Lord Freypie said:

This one actually doesn't bother me. Bran learned everything he knows from Bloodraven, who doesn't exactly seem to have been known for tact, sensitivity, or empathy even before spending a century stuck to a tree.

(Well, I suppose he also had a fatalist teen warrior girl, a mentally disabled giant, some alien elf things, and an undead uncle, but none of them were likely to do much to fill those gaps in his wisdom.)

12 minutes ago, falcotron said:

And what really worries me is that I suspect the last two books will similarly be more and more focused on the military drama, and GRRM isn't any better at this stuff than D&D. I hope that he keeps all the strategic stuff off-camera and focuses the drama on other elements, as he's usually done so far, but I suspect that's going to be progressively harder as the end draws in, just as it has been for D&D (especially since he's got two or three times as many wars going on, and almost every character's drama is tied up in at least one of them).

I wouldn't worry about that, personally. GRRM isn't going to have long-winded chapters of people petitioning one-another. Chapters always have characters actually doing things and there's always something bubbling underneath.

1 hour ago, Lord Freypie said:

This one actually doesn't bother me. Bran learned everything he knows from Bloodraven, who doesn't exactly seem to have been known for tact, sensitivity, or empathy even before spending a century stuck to a tree.

(Well, I suppose he also had a fatalist teen warrior girl, a mentally disabled giant, some alien elf things, and an undead uncle, but none of them were likely to do much to fill those gaps in his wisdom.)

Archived